"edit with" for ALL or SELECTED images

Please post any ideas or requests for new features here for the End User Version of PDF-XChange (printer Drivers)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, John - Tracker Supp, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Tracker - Clarion Support, moderators, Support Staff

martin vetter
User

"edit with" for ALL or SELECTED images

Post by martin vetter »

Currently, the right-click option "Edit with" allows embedded images to be edited with an external application.

As an additional function, I would like to wish for an "edit with" for all or several selected images embeded in a pdf file at once. This could, for example, be processed sequentially, like in a loop, so that the next image is automatically sent to the external application as soon as the predecessor image has been finished being edited by it.

Best regards

Martin
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: "edit with" for ALL or SELECTED images

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello martin vetter,

This would be complicated as we do not know which your external image handling software is, and whether it can accept such "continuous" input, and also whether it will then handle "feeding the results back" to us continuously.

If you need to process many images at once - maybe extract them all from the file (Using PDF Tools), and you can then mass process those in your image editor of choice, then finally import them back in the PDF once done.

Kind regards,
Stefan
martin vetter
User

Post by martin vetter »

Hello Stefan,

Thanks for your comment.

My application is, for example, Photoshop or, even better, a Photoshop-generated Droplet. A droplet is a small Windows executable (.exe) file that receives an image file, applies a Photoshop action and returns the image file thus modified. This works well with PDF-XChange Editor if you right-click on an embedded image in a PDF file, select "Edit with" and then select the Droplet.exe as the other application. This replaces the embedded image with the modified image in one go. But this is tiresome for many pictures.

My idea is to automatically process all images in a loop one after the other, based on the manual command already implemented in the XChange Editor. A first image is sent to the application and then it waits until the application returns the result. Then the second image is sent to the application and so on.

Your suggestion to export all the images, then process them and then import them again would also be good for my purposes.

Unfortunately, I have not found out how to (automatically) export all embedded images as such (I do not mean exporting the PDF page by page as images, but the embedded image resources). I also don't know how I can subsequently replace the corresponding originals in the PDF with the "correct", i.e. corresponding image in each case. Is that possible?

BR,

Martin
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, martin vetter

I am afraid that we have consulted the Dev team on this, and it is simply not feasible to offer an "edit all images with" or "edit selected images with" function. This request has been rejected, and you will need to continue doing this manually as you have been so far.

Sorry that I could not bring some good news.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
martin vetter
User

Post by martin vetter »

Thanks for the effort. Unfortunately, the answer is frustrating because the manual approach is practically impossible when several hundred images are involved.

The functionality I want, to edit EVERY image in THE SAME way, seems to be of great general interest when I see the same questions on the internet about this. This is useful, for example, if one wants to fingerprint or copyright all images, de-noise, sharpen, contrast-enhance etc. all images.

It would be a simple matter to send all the images one by one to an external editor that would do the job. PDFX can almost do that - just by tediously clicking on each image, but not automatically for all of them.

Unfortunately, I could not find a PDF-application that does this. A promising candidate is Inkscape 2.0. When importing a PDF, this app offers the option to treat images as non-embedded. Then a png file is created for each image. You can edit the file with any app and Inkscape will automatically apply the changes. Unfortunately, Inkscape is still buggy - it often distorts the aspect ratio when updating the changed images.

Does anyone have a tip on how to edit all images of a PDF automatically with a photo editor, e.g. Photoshop? Adobe Acrobot also supports "edit with", but not as a preflight action, so it cannot be executed automatically for all images.

BR martin
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, martin vetter

I hope that someone else on the forums has another option for you, sadly I have nothing else to offer.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com