Catalog of weird pen strokes

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Zarquan314
User

Post by Zarquan314 »

I've been using PDF XChange editor to grade by hand writing on papers. I find the pen tool to be very useful with a drawing tablet. However, occasionally weird things happen in the pen strokes. I decided to collect a few samples of these weird pen strokes and put them all in one PDF and put them here. These are mild annoyances and I usually don't bother fixing them when I notice them, but it would be nice if they weren't there.
Weird_Penstrokes.pdf
(21.15 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
image.png
They also behave strangely when resized. These usually happen at the ends of penstrokes, but they can happen at the beginning too (look at line crossing the t).

It seems like the pen strokes are folding in on themselves, similar to https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=38602, but this problem existed before the fix for that bug was introduced.

I am using Auto on the pen and low smoothness.

I am currently using version 9.3 build 361.0
Last edited by Zarquan314 on Wed May 11, 2022 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Catalog of weird pen strokes

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Zarquan314

before we dig too deep into this can you tell me both if you are running the current build (9.3.361.0) and whether you have the Touch Optimized UI enabled?
image.png
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Zarquan314
User

Post by Zarquan314 »

I added the build to the original post in an edit. When these penstrokes were made (over the course of a few weeks), I was not operating with touch optimized UI (AFAIK, I never intentionally enabled it until after I was done collecting these.)

I made these penstrokes using a screenless Wacom drawing tablet (small, bluetooth), so I wasn't using it like a touch screen.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Zarquan314

Thank you for confirming that, Your mention of specifically using a Wacom tablet draws my interest. Does your PC have touchscreen capabilities? If so, does the same line fragmentation happen when drawing with the touchscreen, or is this issue exclusive to the drawing tablet?

On further inspection of the document, it seems that the issue may be related to the DPI (and zoom level) of the document (and that you are adding these comments at). If you resize any of these comments to be a proportionally larger object, the fragmentation disappears:
image.png
image.png (6.74 KiB) Viewed 253 times
image1.png
image1.png (13.38 KiB) Viewed 253 times
As lines are drawn as a vector (a series of points leading from A to B to C, etc), issues like this can occur when you are zoomed in so close, that there are not enough points in area to keep everything proportionally spaced apart.

Ill pass this along to the Dev team to see if there is any way we can improve it when it happens, but as it is to some degree expected in this case, I cannot make a promise for a change at the moment.

RT#6077: Bug? Line stroke folds in on itself when objects are very small.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Zarquan314
User

Post by Zarquan314 »

Thanks!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com