Define Custom Colors in Custom Colors Dialog

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

evdbogaard
User

Define Custom Colors in Custom Colors Dialog

Post by evdbogaard »

In the Custom Colors Dialog there is a button 'Define Custom Colors>>' which is always greyed out.
So how do I define custom colors that stay in its place and not get moved to the left when I add a color using the button 'Add to Custom Colors'?

Is it correct that build 360 handles these custom colors differently from build 359 (in that build 360 adds a new color to the Custom Colors pallette even if I did not use the 'Add to Custom Colors' button)?

Cheers,
Ed
Ed van den Bogaard
Happy PDF-XChange PRO user since 2008 (version 4)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Define Custom Colors in Custom Colors Dialog

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, evdbogaard

This has not changed, even back in 359, the color palette works the same way here. I will forward the note that the "add to custom colors function is not working as expected to our Dev team, but it is expected that the selected color is added to the custom colors palette automatically when you click OK, even if that color already exists in the main palette.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
evdbogaard
User

Post by evdbogaard »

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I understand now that the Custom Colors actually function as recent colors. I found that in the Registry they are under a key 'ColorRecents' so that makes sense ([HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\Misc\ColorRecents]).

The question then remains why the button 'Define Custom Colors>>' is always greyed out. I couldn't find a registry key like 'CustomColors'.

As a workaround I made a reg file containing my custom colors in t.000000 - t.000012 and a few empty colors ("t.000013"="", "t.000014"="" and "t.000015"="") to override the recent colors when necessary.

But I would prefer if the Color Dialog would contain a separate section with user defined custom colors and a separate section containing recent colors.

Anyway, thanks for all your efforts and keep up the good work!

Best to all of you,
Ed
Ed van den Bogaard
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Ed.

Are you referring to this:
image.png
I'll bump the team for an answer.

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
evdbogaard
User

Post by evdbogaard »

Exactly, that is the greyed out button.
Ed van den Bogaard
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Got it. Thanks. :)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

I believe that, in some other applications, only after clicking this button, the right half of the Color dialog is displayed. In PDF-XChange Editor, switching the Color dialog between a smaller form and the expanded form shown above does not seem to be possible, so the button is grayed out.

Anyway, when revising the Color Picker dialog in PDF-XChange Editor, perhaps some consideration can be given to an earlier feature request about the Color Picker dialog, which can be found here:

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=34650&hilit=color+picker#p148535

Thanks!
David
--
The well-proven Microsoft Office standard Color Picker dialog:
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Nice one David,

for sure that will ne mentioned to the devs. It will be interesting to see what they say. My interest is piqued... ;-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

And what I was told is that we do not control the state of this button, we call it and it is already fully opened.
switching the Color dialog between a smaller form and the expanded form shown above does not seem to be possible, so the button is grayed out.
There is no functionality for the button to offer., it IS the expanded version. An unexpanded version would be just this:
image.png
with a functional button to then show this:
image1.png
I hope that makes it clear.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke