Migrate Preferences?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PHK
User

Migrate Preferences?

Post by PHK »

Hi, all,

My five-year-old Dell died and I have replaced it. I de-registered the Dell as a PDF-XChange Editor host and have installed it on the new PC. I have installed the old HDD from the Dell as a secondary drive on the new computer. Now, I would like my old Preferences to govern my use of PDF-XChange Editor without going through the arduous process of setting up all my Preferences one by one, even if I might be able to remember them all. Is there an easy way to migrate those preferences from the now-secondary HDD to the new now-primary SSD?

Thanking you in advance for any guidance you can provide,

PHK
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Migrate Preferences?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, PHK

Unless you are using the portable version, our preferences are stored in your "current user" registry. This might make is difficult to recover them from your secondary drive. Ideally, if you can boot from the other drive, you can launch the Editor and choose "File > manage settings > export settings" to make this a breeze.

If you cannot do that, but can at least get into the registry, the key you are looking for is:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software

Copy All the subkeys within that key (EXCEPT for the Vault key, I will explain in a moment) into your new current user registry.

The reason you do not want to copy the Vault key is due to the fact that our license keys are encrypted with a machine specific seed when applied to your device. Since this is a "new device", the old version of that key will not be decipherable, and could cause issues with activation and the like if migrated over.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Thanks, Daniel, I might be able to boot from the "old" HDD and export the Settings/Preferences but I don't have time to pursue that today; maybe in the next few days.

I did not see "Manage Settings" as relevant to "Preferences" so thank you for pointing me in that direction. But then that raises the question in my mind as to what are the differences between "Settings" and "Preferences"? If there are none, would it not make sense to settle on one or the other term for consistent use throughout the application? In other words, why use one term in one context and another term in another context for the same family of functions?

Also, the Manage Settings doesn't do much; why not eliminate that (cleaning up the interface) and include the functionalities under Preferences like making a set of export/import/default options?
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

I hope you can restore your settings in some way or another! Best of luck :)

As for naming, there are a few reasons. To begin "settings" encompasses all settings within the software, whereas preferences are exclusively those within the preferences dialog. So for example, there are preferences to "paste at mouse position" but your custom comment styles are not preferences, they are "styles", both of these things are included within "settings".

As for the position within the File menu, this is a combination of the fact that, like before, not only the preferences are included, so that would not be a great place for it, and because in the past (and when looking at many other applications) the import/export settings functions typically reside in the "File" or "edit" menu. We have included it here partially to fit the "status quo" and partially because it really is the best "generic" location for it.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Thanks for the Settings/Preferences elaboration, Daniel; it makes sense.

It occurred to me whilst starting to pursue the alternate boot strategy that I would not be able to get into the old Editor Settings because I would not be able to open Editor now that I have de-registered that installation. However, I have a similar set-up on my registered laptop version of Editor so it was a simple matter to export those Settings from the laptop and import them onto my new SSD. Now, all I have to do is fine tune Editor for my PC configuration. I think this would work for most users who have two registered devices.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

The software does not need to be registered or even licensed in order to open it and export your settings (only to use license features), so that should not have been a wall by any means. Nonetheless, I am glad to hear that you found a working solution for your problem.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:05 pm ...The software does not need to be registered or even licensed in order to open it and export your settings (only to use license features), so that should not have been a wall by any means.
Oh, really? Can one do that without booting up the secondary disk and, if so, how?
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

Not without booting the secondary disk no. As the settings are stored in the current user registry, you would need to start that "machine" and log into the windows user profile which you used in the past. Once you made it there, you can launch our software without a license, and use the export settings function.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Unfortunately, booting from a secondary drive is beyond my technical paygrade. I know how to get to the screen that tees-up boot options but I get a blue-screened message (the content of which I refuse to learn) for any of the choices except the one that will actually boot. But, no matter: I have come up with satisfactory reconstruction as described above.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Migrate Preferences?

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
4mc
User

Post by 4mc »

FYI, the manage settings/export
copy license key from old machine
Install on new machine > add license key during install
Import settings

All worked fantastically for my migration from my old Windows 10 laptop to my new Windows 11.

How long can I have the license key active on both machines?

++Mark.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, 4mc

A single user license is entitled to installation on two personal devices provided you are the sole user of the licensed software on both, there is no time limit on that, it is simply included with your license.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Presently, I have PDF-XCE installed on my main PC and a laptop. Soon, I will be decamping to another location for a while where I intend to use a different PC. Although I will be taking my laptop, I want a fully licensed version of PDF-XCE in that other PC when I am there.

So, I am assuming I will have to have a saved exported file of settings, then REMOVE the license key from the current PC and then do Manage Settings -> Import Settings to have the License Key established on the destination PC. And then reverse the procedure when I come back.

Have I got this right?
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi PHK,

You will need to remove the current PC for you "Activations LIst" to free a spot for this other PC. You can remove the license from the one you will not use for a while, yes, or you can leave it in place and once the other PC is activated the original one won't be able to. Unless you set up a policy or script to silently activate the device it should be sufficient to simply remove it from the "Activations List, activate the new device, then reverse that when you return home.

Removing the license from the "De-Registered" device is optional, one your new device is activated the old one won't be able to, but removing the license does ensure it doesn't activate itself while you travel...

does that help?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Activations List? Where do I find that?
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

Paul and I posted at the same time, so I deleted my post explaining this, terribly sorry! For anyone who is curious about the migration process, please see below:
Migration to a new device is quite simple, Please follow these 3 steps.
1. First, remove the license from the old PC, via "help > license key > [select key] > remove".
(If the old device is broken beyond repair, or has been wiped you can consider this complete)
2. Second, if your old device used V9 of our software, and was activated, you will need to remove the old device from your "activation list" for the key as well. This is done from your account page, look under the "actions" column to find the activations list. https://www.pdf-xchange.com/login
(If you do not see an activations list button, it means your license key is a "pre-activated" key. In that case, you can consider step 2 complete)
3. Once that is complete, navigate to your account page on the new device, where you can download the latest installer and acquire a copy of your license key at any time.
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Ah, yes, the Activation List on my account page on the website. As I rarely visit that, I had forgotten; thank you for refreshing my memory. While I'm at, am I correct in believing the log-on protocol has changed? My password manager seemed to think that it was a user psuedonym but now it seems to be my e-mail. Is that correct?

But do I detect a conflict between what you, Paul and Daniel, are saying? One seems to be saying I do not have to remove the license key and the other says I do. All other things being equal, I would rather not remove the license key from PC I'm leaving as I expect to be returning to it in a few months.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

The primary account page login system changed from username to email sign in a few years ago, but accounts which previously had a username should still be able to use them. I know that some browsers get confused on our site since the forums are also part of the main site, resulting in it suggesting the credentials for both your Forum account, and your purchasing account, so that could also be the cause. In any case, you will be able to sign into your purchasing account using your email address.

As for the discrepancy, As paul mentioned, it is indeed not "required", but when the other device next tries to check its activation status, it is possible that it will detect incorrect use, and block itself (deactivating the license on the PC) and causing you to need to contact us to revert the block, adding extra work for both of us, opposed to you clicking the "remove" button which is 3 extra clicks before you leave.

What I sent there is also a generic template, designed to ensure it is clear for anyone reading (IE: anyone who stumbles on this post in a year or two) what should be done in these cases. On the other hand, Paul has tailored his reply to you, your question, and you level of proficiency (since we do interact fairly often), it would make far less sense to someone who it was not tailored to.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:39 pm Hello, PHK

The primary account page login system changed from username to email sign in a few years ago, but accounts which previously had a username should still be able to use them. I know that some browsers get confused on our site since the forums are also part of the main site, resulting in it suggesting the credentials for both your Forum account, and your purchasing account, so that could also be the cause. In any case, you will be able to sign into your purchasing account using your email address.

As for the discrepancy, As paul mentioned, it is indeed not "required", but when the other device next tries to check its activation status, it is possible that it will detect incorrect use, and block itself (deactivating the license on the PC) and causing you to need to contact us to revert the block, adding extra work for both of us, opposed to you clicking the "remove" button which is 3 extra clicks before you leave.

What I sent there is also a generic template, designed to ensure it is clear for anyone reading (IE: anyone who stumbles on this post in a year or two) what should be done in these cases. On the other hand, Paul has tailored his reply to you, your question, and you level of proficiency (since we do interact fairly often), it would make far less sense to someone who it was not tailored to.

Kind regards,
Thank you for the various clarifications.

I am always in favor of generic templates.

If I remove the License Key in PC A before deactivating, will it be there when I come back to PC A and all I will have to do is re-activate it, assuming I had removed and deactivated on PC B?

At any rate, I know I can always reach out to you on customer service and I am sure any problems will be sorted out and I will be up and running in next to no time.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK
PHK wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:46 pm If I remove the License Key in PC A before deactivating, will it be there when I come back to PC A and all I will have to do is re-activate it, assuming I had removed and deactivated on PC B?
Yes that is correct, simply do the same as the first time, remove and de-register key from the device that is no longer in use, then apply and activate it on the device you are returning to.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com