PDF-Xchange Standard - Searchable PDF printing issue  SOLVED

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Priyadharshini
User

PDF-Xchange Standard - Searchable PDF printing issue

Post by Priyadharshini »

Hi Team,

Our requirement is to print a searchable PDF file using a virtual printer to a configured location.

We are trying to print a searchable PDF using the PDF-Xchange Standard printer to a specific location. But the output PDF file is not searchable.

Why are we not getting a searchable output file even if the input PDF is searchable?

Awaiting for a quick response!!!

Thanks
Priya Srinivasan
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF-Xchange Standard - Searchable PDF printing issue

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Priya,

Thank you for contacting us on this matter.
I already answered your email but I haven't seen a response from you after that.

I tested the example file that you sent us over an email and the results are as expected, the original file is searchable as well as the printed file:

image.png

Could you please tell me from what application do you print the file?

Regards.
Priyadharshini
User

Post by Priyadharshini »

Thanks for the quick response!!!

We tried printing the files from,
1. Browser(Chrome)
2. Adobe reader

Thanks,
Priya
Priyadharshini
User

Post by Priyadharshini »

We are not receiving your email response. So kindly reply in the forum

I shared you one more sample PDF in the email
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF-Xchange Standard - Searchable PDF printing issue  SOLVED

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Priyadharshini,

Thanks for your e-mail and forum post.
The sample document that you have sent to us contains an image and on top of that an invisible layer of OCR text.
We strongly advise against printing PDF files back to PDF - this should not be necessary, and our Editor should provide any tools you need to manipulate such PDFs without the need to "print" them. If you need to e.g. "merge" files into binder PDFs - we have tools for that as well, and our PDF Tools could do batches of such files - again without the need to actually 'print' these files, as when you do print them - you will lose the OCR layer of text.

So the solution would be to go around the printing instead of trying to find a tool that can print an OCR layer (which I am not aware of).

Kind regards,
Stefan
Priyadharshini
User

Post by Priyadharshini »

Thanks for the reply!!!

I have one more question. We are getting the searchable PDF output for the first document which we shared, Only if it is printed from PDF-Xchange Editor. And if we try the same from Adobe reader/Chrome we a not getting the searchable PDF output. Why is it so???
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Priyadharshini,

Your source is image data, and there is an invisible layer of OCR text on top of that image. I suspect when you create the files with the Editor - you have set it up so that you also run OCR on those files, while the other products are not doing the same OCR process - that's why you get different results!

Kind regards,
Stefan