Scrollbar is too narrow

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kumar
User

Scrollbar is too narrow

Post by kumar »

Hello,
The scrollbar in PDF-XChange Editor is very narrow. Is there a way to make it wider? If not, can you make it wider in next version and also provide a user setting so user can adjust the width? Thanks.

I'm using 9.0.354.0.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Scrollbar is too narrow

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, kumar

Our scrollbar should be the same size as other scrollbars in default windows applications, dynamically resizing based on the resolution/scaling of the monitor in question. If you find that it is smaller than other applications scrollbars, it is possible that scaling is not enabled, either in windows, or in the Editor itself.
To check in the Editor, open the preferences (Ctrl_K) and look under general > UI scaling, and enable "system scale":
image.png
To check in windows, open the start menu and type "scaling" a result saying "make everything bigger" should appear in the start menu, open that and see if those settings have any impact.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
kumar
User

Post by kumar »

Hello Daniel,
I changed setting to system scale and I restarted the editor, but there is no change in scrollbar width. Maybe in next version at least provide some preset scaling to increase width of scrollbar.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

@kumar

Do you see a difference in width between the scrollbars in (for example) Windows File Explorer and PDF-XChange Editor ?

If yes, then please post some screenshots of this, and ask the people of Tracker Software to have a look a that.

If not, then it is the default behavior of Windows, and you might have to change the screen resolution of your PC's display.

Kind regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

Thanks for asking those question!

We are looking forward to your reply @kumar!

Kind regards,
Stefan
kumar
User

Post by kumar »

Hi,
This reply took a while, I totally forgot about it, but I got to this same issue again while working on pdf documents.

I tried all UI scaling settings but none of them fixed the issue. For every scaling setting I tested, PDF Editor scrollbar was the same (super narrow). I don't think it's my PC setting because the scrollbar in every other app I have has decent width (see attached screenshots of scrollbars from Windows Explorer, Chrome browser, Excel) and compare those to the scrollbar from PDF Editor.

It is very frustrating to scroll using scrollbar. Can Tracker-Software fix this issue?
PDF Editor scrollbar.jpg
PDF Editor scrollbar.jpg (11.53 KiB) Viewed 379 times
windows explorer scrollbar.jpg
windows explorer scrollbar.jpg (2.37 KiB) Viewed 379 times
chrome scrollbar.jpg
chrome scrollbar.jpg (4.08 KiB) Viewed 379 times
excel scrollbar.jpg
excel scrollbar.jpg (5.46 KiB) Viewed 379 times
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

@kumar

Thanks to your screenshots, I think it is clear now for everyone what you really mean.
It is not the width of the scrollbar that bothers you, but the width of the slide-block within it.
I do not remember if there was a reason for making that slide-block as small as it currently is.

@Tracker Support

Your colleagues @Tracker Development would they be prepared to change something about this?
Thanks for consideration.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Willy Van Nuffel, Kumar,

This is done purely for visual appearance.
However the actual working width of the scroll bar is the same:
image.png
image.png (18.78 KiB) Viewed 366 times
So you can click to the side of the narrow slider and it will still work as long as you are within the full width of the scroll bar.
Actually - if you move your mouse under/over the slider - the area that is highlighted is again with the full width.

Kind regards,
Stefan