HEIC to PDF  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Eymann
User

HEIC to PDF

Post by Eymann »

Will there be a function to convert photos in HEIC format to PDF at some point? Similar to the JEPG photos...
Or is it already being developed in this direction?

Here is a link about the HEIC photo format...
"https://macpaw.com/how-to/what-is-heic-file"

Thanks for your feedbacks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: HEIC to PDF

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Eymann,

We do not currently support this file format as you have noticed!
I've asked our devs if support for this could be added in the future!

As a workaround - for the time being - you should be able to convert these images to supported file formats as e.g. .bmp or .jpg, and then use the converted copies in the Editor. There seem to be many online tools offering this feature.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: HEIC to PDF  SOLVED

Hello again Eymann,

My colleagues in the dev team asked me to make a ticket for this:
#5493: FR: High Efficiency Image File Format support
So that we can include support for this file format in the future.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Eymann
User

Post by Eymann »

Hello Stefan

Thanks for your answer. I think it's very cool that the developers are working on it. This makes the PDF-XChange even more attractive and elegant ... yeah! :D
I suspect Adobe doesn't support HEIC, so PDF-XChage would stand out from the competition. 8)

Yes, I know I've tried some online tools, but there are always small obstacles such as data size restrictions or the number of photos that can be converted.

I am pleased to hear that your development department is so innovative and integrates such exotic HEIC photo formats into the protofolio of the XChange.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Eymann,

It is an image file format, and if there are the correct libraries for converting from it - we will be happy to support it for sure!
However - It seems to be a bit more complex one (e.g. also supporting gif style animations) - so we might e.g. only support still images conversion, or only the first image in such animated HEIC files. In any case - it will be worked on. How long it will be until this is implemented I can not tell at this stage, but the Feature Request ticket is there, so it will be done at some point!

Kind regards,
Stefan
joshhuggins
User

Post by joshhuggins »

Just wanted to give this thread a little support as well. I had to get a new phone this week and it defaults to HEIC instead of JPG which I did not realize at the time and then I went to drag in some photos into a PDF and received an error which led me here. :D I personally would be totally fine with just still image support only if it meant getting the format supported soon than later as I think that would be the main use case for PDF's.

Going a bit off topic now, :lol:, since I had to mess with the images to get them into PDF Xchange, I figured I would do a little quick comparison for chuckles. I converted my existing shot HEIC images to JPG, and reshot the images using the phones JPG saving option. I The compression to file size/quality ratio is pretty darn amazing compared to JPG. I am getting 150 - 300% better file sizes with no perceived quality loss. Pretty amazing and will come in handy since my new phone doesn't have a SD card. :x

Anywho, just wanted to say thanks for the effort of the dev team and good luck!
Thanks!
Josh Huggins
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Josh Huggins,

Thanks for bringing this topic back up! I see that a developer has been assigned and a work item created for the above ticket - so this will be worked on when it gets to the front of the development queue, but still I do not have any time estimate for now!

Glad that you did your testing and found results you are happy with after the conversion process though!

Kind regards,
Stefan