A new PDF Viewer?

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Puffolino
User

A new PDF Viewer?

Post by Puffolino »

Hi there,

I am still using the good (!) old PDF XChange Viewer 2.5 on my memory stick to load and view PDF files quickly and comfortable. But during the last month, there are more and more PDF documents (many of them have been created by using the PDF XChange Editor) which can't be loaded, the Viewer seems to freeze then while showing an empty window.

So I'd like to ask if the (discontinued) viewer will get another update (to deal with more complex PDF files) somewhen or if there's a possibility to strip everything off the full XChange Editor to allow a simple and quick Viewer only mode also?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: A new PDF Viewer?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Puffolino

Unfortunately no, the Viewer has been discontinued for year now, and is only receiving critical security updates at this junction. We have no plans to revive it beyond that.

With that said, if you can send us a copy of one of the documents created by the Editor which is not opening in the Viewer, we can take a look and see what the cause would be. The Editor and Viewer both very closely adhere to the PDF Specification, and so there should not be any difficulties for the viewer attempting to open a document that was created in the Editor.
The only exception I could personally see in a file that we created in the Editor, is if the document contains content which the viewer simply never supported, such as 3D content.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Great, thank you (an example has been sent to you).
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Puffolino

Thank you for the sample files. I am looking into the file now, but do not seem to be having any issues opening it in the Viewer here. Can you first confirm that you are running the latest version of the viewer (2.5.322.10)?
If not, please download the latest portable or installed version, and test your files once again.

If the issue is still present or you are already in this version, please do send another few example files. A crash dump might also be useful, if you could follow the steps here to enable logging, and then send the created file to us as well, it may help.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com