Feature Request: Hatched Clouds

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

nyaa123
User

Post by nyaa123 »

Hi Tracker Software! I love your PDF X-Change editor product and I use it day to day. It really makes my life easier, especially the very powerful and easy to use commenting tools. I would love to be able to do more professional work in it.

My colleagues have said that they would love to use PDF editing product that would be able to make clouds with a hatched interior, since this is a very common thing to do in our industry to indicate "deletion". Currently, to replicate this functionality, I would have to draw the lines individually (see screenshot below) or set up the clouds in a competing product.
hatchedcloud.png
I also notice when I take a sharp angle with the cloudy pattern, it balls up into a circle (see screenshot below).
circleincloud.png
If this could be adjusted to maintain a continuous pattern (like below), that would really help with being able to do a lot of professional work in this program.
circleincloud2.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Hatched Clouds

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, nyaa123

Thank you for the request. Unfortunately hatching is not currently supported by the PDF specification, so we cannot be certain that other spec respecting software will know how to handle, or use the same handling for, these items. As such, we do not intend to implement such handling at the moment. When the spec changes, and we can be sure that others will properly support these items, we will be changing this.

Any software which currently does offer these items is breaking the spec by doing so, and using such items in your document could possible lead to corruption if opened in a software which does not know how to handle it properly.

As for the corner bevels, I am not certain what can be done here, but I will mention it to the Dev team for you.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
AMT.George
User

Post by AMT.George »

+1 for the hatched clouds request (or any object for that matter).

Also +1 for the issue with sharp-angles while clouding resulting in undesired circles and loops. Still happening with the latest version.

Agreed that while the pdf standard does not support hatching/pattern fills that it should not be possible. But PDF X-Change should have a feature tool that allows you to request a hatching/pattern fill of an object, and it would then create and import an overlaid stamp to mimic the desired end-result.

Hatching/pattern filling is such a crucial element for professional drawings that it's the last missing feature that's preventing me from switching entirely to PDF X-Change for all of my work flow :(
Last edited by AMT.George on Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello AMT.George,

I am afraid that hatching of objects is still not part of the PDF specification, so for now we do not have plans to look into this.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Mathew
User

Post by Mathew »

I made a tool that I just shared here: viewtopic.php?t=40329

It draws the hatch pattern as a separate static Pencil annotation
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com