Enhance image optimization

Please post any ideas or requests for new features here for the End User Version of PDF-XChange (printer Drivers)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, John - Tracker Supp, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Tracker - Clarion Support, moderators, Support Staff

Puffolino
User

Enhance image optimization

Post by Puffolino »

Hi,
reducing the size of PDF files is an important task I need to do - for instance to mail large maps, etc.

Doing this job could be made easier when implementing one or more of these points:
  • Detect an merge image fragments never worked for me (some PDF printer are creating stripes or tiles, I could't get into one image until now)
  • Recognizing which images need a lot of space and which not would be great (details like size and dimensions could be displayed permanently within the content list or as a tooltip, another idea would be to create an enhanced search function for objects, not only text)
  • Optimizing does not have the same possibilities as seen when recompressing a single image (JPEG/ZIP) or, at least, lead to different results
  • Recompressing single images (that's what I use most of the time) should remember the latest settings (or even better, allow to define some profiles)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Enhance image optimization

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Puffolino

Thank you for the post and suggestions, and sorry again for the long delay, I would say we are doing soem "spring cleaning" but its the wrong time of year for that! :lol:

In any case, I have been looking at these points,
  • In the latest release (9.0.358.0) I do not experience any issues with the "detect and merge image fragments" feature, so if you have a sample which you can still reproduce the incorrect behavior with, that would help.
  • I am unsure how a function to "recognize which images need a lot of space" would even work, can you elaborate on what it is you mean here, assuming it is still a relevant question?
  • Since you originally posted this, we have added the "recompress images" function, and given it some improvements, which I believe should rectify this caveat. At the moment it is not intended for all of these functions to be included with the "optimize" function, as some of them do not serve the purpose of optimizing or reducing the size of the document. A dedicated tool should eb used for cases when special changes need to be made.
  • And finally, the individual recompress image feature, we now offer tool profiles for this function, so it seems that your wish has been grated!
Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com