Word - Convert to PDF

This forum is for plugins used in the PDF-XChange Editor only.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

weite
User

Word - Convert to PDF

Post by weite »

Since last week we use the new Version 8.0 build 331.0 which also works. But I've a question now. In Word we use the plugin to convert the document to PDF. In the new Version it creates the new file with the filename extension -001, -002 ... -xxx every time we convert the document. But only if a PDF file already exists. In the older Version there was a save window to overwrite the File. Is it possible to get the old settings back? Or is this a new feature with we have to life?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Word - Convert to PDF

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Weite,

Can you please go to the Settings for our add-in inside word, and then check if under Advanced you have those checkboxes set the same way as on my image below:
Word_advanced.png
Regards,
Stefan
weite
User

Post by weite »

Ok, than I get the save window, but the path isn't right. I want to jump into the folder of the word document and so i jump to the last save folder. We have many subfolder, so it takes time to jump into the right one. That was in the older Version better. I think a option to set this feature or not were better.
I know this is a luxury problem, but I've over 80 people and they pressure me.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Weite,

If you activate just the "Save Document to Original Document Folder" - do you get the files where you want them but with a prompt?

Regards,
Stefan
weite
User

Post by weite »

When the setting "Save Document to Document Folder" is on, I get the files in the same folder than the word document, but there is no prompt. Example:
I have the example.doc and convert it to PDF, I get the example.pdf in the same folder without prompt. When I convert the file a second time and the example.pdf exists, I get example-001.pdf and so on example-xxx.pdf. And there is no prompt. In the old Version there was a prompt if I want to overwrite the file, if the example.pdf exists.

regards
Andre
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Andre,

I will have to check with our developers why this behaviour has changed, and as soon as I know more - I will post back here!

Regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello again Andre,

I've had a conversation with a colleague in the dev team, and he has confirmed that indeed the logic for the way saving through the Word Add-in works has been changed, and it would indeed now default to "Auto Number" when you have the option to "save in the original document's folder" turned on. We will bring this up for discussion with one of the lead devs a bit later and see what can be done.

Regards,
Stefan
weite
User

Post by weite »

Hello Stefan,
thanks for the information.

regards
Andre
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin