feature request: remove empty pages

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

AndreasHe
User

feature request: remove empty pages

Post by AndreasHe »

Did not get it work with given tools. A simple "remove empty pages" would be nice.

I scan paper with duplex and do not want to keep white pages.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: feature request: remove empty pages

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello AndreasHe,

We do already offer a "Delete Empty pages" function, however it would not often work for the purpose you have detailed.
image.png
When it comes to scanned pages, even a blank page will usually have content within it (a solid white image), therefor it would not be "empty", and far as the editor is aware, it would have just as much content as a normal scanned page.

Many scanners offer functions to omit blank pages, but after they have been migrated to the PDF format, the only indication of blank page is if there is no content present.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Andreas.

Can you provide the simple sample doc generated from your scanner with enabled duplex option? We need find out what kind of 'empty' pages it creates..

Also, instead of using 'Delete Empty Pages', you may try to use the regular 'Delete Pages' feature with turned on 'Subset: Odd' option to remove odd pages, that are empty in your case..

Note: while in PDF-Editor we have two separate features 'Delete Pages' and 'Delete Empty Pages' - in PDF-Tools we have one combined action to do both tasks:

image.png

And for your case in PDF-Editor/PDF-Tools you may try to use the filter 'Delete pages that have only a solid background'.

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
AndreasHe
User

Post by AndreasHe »

Thanks. In general it works.

But now what is a bit strange: I have a duplex scanner. And I see there are 8 pages coming in. But directly after the scan, if check "show scanned images", it already skipped total empty pages.

The problem is, that I want to split later every 2 pages to get separate single documents. But if one is missing in between, it is an odd number and the page will be in the wrong document.

So I dont know if this is a scanner thing or pdf-tools thing? But like I said, during scan it showed me in the title bar 8 pages.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, AndreasHe

There is a checkbox shown in Vasyls screenshot above which can automatically remove empty pages. If that is enabled, it would be expected to have those blank pages removed by PDf-tools. If you do not want them removed, you will need to uncheck this option.
If it is unchecked and blank pages are stil being removed, you will want to look to your scanners driver settings, as they may also offer a similar function, which would need to be unchecked or we will never see those pages.

Once those pages are included, you should not have any issue splitting evenly numbered documents due to accidentally missing blank pages.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:40 pmyou may try to use the filter 'Delete pages that have only a solid background'.
Thank you, this is what i needed! Can you make the tool "Delete Pages (Deletes pages from document)" appear when you search for a tool in PDF-Tools for "Delete Empty Pages" query?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Jensen Head

The search offered in PDF-Tools is a simple search that finds aspects in the name and description, that is all. Looking for "delete" will get you the results you are wanting. Alternatively, if you need to have the word "empty" within the search criteria, you can clone the tool, and edit the description, but it would be much more complex that you may expect for us to rework the search function into an entire engine, and due to overlapping action functions, doing so would end up with a far less useful search engine even if we tried to do so.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com