PDF's not opening at all

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mwidunn
User

PDF's not opening at all

Post by mwidunn »

I'm using PDF-Xchange Editor 7.0 (Build 326.1).

PDF's will not open. Instead, I get the following error message: Error [PXVLib]: Unsupported File Format.

This happened previously. So, I uninstalled and re-installed the program. Everything was working fine (i. e., PDF's were opening normally) until it started happening again.

I am able to open the PDF's in other programs, like Chrome and Microsoft's XML reader, so that I cannot imagine that the files are at fault.

Win10now has all sorts of new security-related "bells and whistles," like Exploit Protection. Could that be it? Don't know. I do have the new Ransomware Protection disabled, though (getting in the way of too many things)

Please, advise!

[img]
1.jpg
[/img]
Cody - Tracker
Site Admin

Re: PDF's not opening at all

Post by Cody - Tracker »

Hello mwidunn,

Thank you for the post. Sorry you are experiencing this issue. Could you please send a sample document that produces this issue so that we can investigate further. Please specify whether this is happening with all files or just certain ones. If you would rather not post a document to this forum, please send to support@pdf-xchange.com.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Cody Andrews
Tracker Support North America
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

In an other thread about the same problem "Error [PXVLib]: Unsupported File Format", a solution was offered by Ivan - Tracker Software.
See viewtopic.php?f=62&t=30171

"The problem happened because of Editor's folder for temporary data, that the Editor creates in user's temp folder, had read-only permissions. While I saw already a few cases, I still don't know the reason why it might happen and what causes that permissions changes.
We will make some further investigation of this problem.
There is simple workaround for this problem - remove PDFXEdit folder located in user's %tmp% folder."

Maybe this also helps in this case.

Regards.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Willy :)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
mwidunn
User

Post by mwidunn »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:Hello,

In an other thread about the same problem "Error [PXVLib]: Unsupported File Format", a solution was offered by Ivan - Tracker Software.
See https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=30171

"The problem happened because of Editor's folder for temporary data, that the Editor creates in user's temp folder, had read-only permissions. While I saw already a few cases, I still don't know the reason why it might happen and what causes that permissions changes.
We will make some further investigation of this problem.
There is simple workaround for this problem - remove PDFXEdit folder located in user's %tmp% folder."

Maybe this also helps in this case.

Regards.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

It doesn't help for the following:

(1) I do not know what "remove PDFXEdit folder located in user's %tmp% folder" means. I'm sure, computer programmers and the like know where to find a "%temp% folder" on their computer . . . but, not someone like me.

(2) I'm puzzled as to how someone who is listed as a Project Director for Tracker doesn't know why the software is changing permissions or what to do about it. So, how am I supposed to know what to do about it?!

I do have some knowledge: I've tried running the repair tool in Windows (stupidly-renamed) "Programs and Features". That's worked sometimes, but it now appears not to be working. I guess, I would have to re-install. In that event, however, I might as well install something else, like Foxit, which seems to work without any headaches.

UPDATE 8/6/22

I apologize for my nasty comments above: I am sorry.
Last edited by mwidunn on Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

What does "remove PDFXEdit folder located in user's %tmp% folder" mean ?

This means that you will have to delete a specific folder that is used for temporary storage of application data for PDF-XChange Editor.
In Windows 10, it is located in a folder like this:
C:\Users\willy\AppData\Local\Temp

Via "Windows File Explorer" you can reach this folder by typing %tmp% in the address bar and pressing the Enter key.
Most probably, you will find a sub-folder called "PDFXEdit".

The goal is to delete this folder (while PDF-XChange Editor is closed - If not, you will get a message "Folder In Use").

After that, try again to open PDFs, via PDF-XChange Editor.

Regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Thank you once again Willy!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
mwidunn
User

Post by mwidunn »

I'm using something else now . . . but, I'll keep this in mind.

Thanks!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello mwidunn,

Thank you for letting us know, I hope in the future you can come back and enjoy our software.
Until then, Have a nice day!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
mwidunn
User

Post by mwidunn »

Okay, I tried another software. It was good -- but, the free PDFXchange is the superior product.

So, I'm back.

I tried the "fix" above (i. e., deleting Temp file); and, it worked.

Thanks!

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UVP6ve3rzk
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello nwidunn,

We are glad to hear that.

Welcome back.

Regards.
artisan23
User

Post by artisan23 »

%tmp%, then deleted edit file.........downloaded plans file and edit file reappeared in downloads and file did not open. :evil:
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Artisan,

Can you please verify that you had the Editor closed when you deleted our tmp folder. also, I am a bit confused by your latter statement.
artisan23 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:38 pm downloaded plans file and edit file reappeared in downloads
If you are downloading a file, it would be expected that the file appears in the downloads folder, however our PDFXEdit temp folder would never appear in the downloads folder, only ever in the %tmp% directory.

If you can still reproduce this after confirming those items, can you please see if other files are also affected by this, or only that one file?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
mcdddd
User

Post by mcdddd »

I'm having this issue as well. I have tried deleting the tmp folder multiple times yet the issue persists.

Opening the PDF file in Chrome first and then retrying the file in PDFXchange seems to fix the problem for some reason.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello mcdddd,

Could you please try opening your PDF Editor with Admin rights:

image.png

Then please tell us what the result of this test was.

Regards.