Edit Image Using > Open With...

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Special
User

Edit Image Using > Open With...

Post by Special »

This does not work for me, when I select an image I want to edit with a program, and choose this option, nothing happens. When I use "Default Application" then it open up MSPaint just fine (but this is a limited weak sauce editor).

I need a way to open paint.net instead (my preferred editor of choice.) Any idea how? Is there a way tell PDF Editor my default applications instead of relying on Windows10 to open what it thinks my "default" is.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: Edit Image Using > Open With...

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. Right-click and choose "Open with..."
  2. If your preferred application is not listed, scroll down and select "More apps"
  3. If it is still not listed, scroll down again, and "Look for another app on this PC..."
  4. Browse C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (86) to find the executable.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Special
User

Post by Special »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
  2. If your preferred application is not listed, scroll down and select "More apps"
  3. If it is still not listed, scroll down again, and "Look for another app on this PC..."
This doesn't help at all, nor is it what I am asking.
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Special wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
This doesn't help at all, nor is it what I am asking.
Maybe there was some misunderstanding but @Bhikkhus instructions are obviously the only way to open a preferred paint application.Unfortunately
you have to do this every time you want to edit a picture as Editor doesn't give you the choice to change the default program.Because of this I still edit my pictures outside of Editor and add them later.

HaPe
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Special wrote:This doesn't help at all, nor is it what I am asking.
I don't what to say. It seems to be exactly what you're asking.

It works for me. The default is Windows Paint, but I can choose IrfanView, FastStone Image Viewer, or whatever, by using the "Open with..." option.

I also found that using the "Default Application" always opened Paint, no matter which is set as the default. Mine was set to IrfanView 32-bit, but changing it to Serif PhotoPlus X8 had no effect. Open with default still opened it in Paint.
Special
User

Post by Special »

The "Open with..." button within the PDF Editor does nothing, no pop up box pops or anything asking me what program I would rather use, I was asking if there is a way to tell PDF Editor to use a certain program as my default OTHER THEN changing the "defaults" on the OS level, I like how mine are already, images open with "IrfranView", PDFs open in "PDF X-Change Editor".
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

1) Do you wait long enough after having clicked on "Open with ..." ?
This action can take a while (several seconds) before every possible image editor on your computer has been found.
I can confirm you that on my computer (Windows 10 - 32-bit - PDF-XChange Editor V6 build 322.5), the "Open with..."-action works effectively.

2) To me, it also seems that it is not (yet) possible to definitively select an other default image editor for PDF-XChange Editor.
So, a question for Tracker Support and/or Tracker Development:

"Will it be possible in future releases of PDF-XChange Editor to change the default image editor program (currently Paint)?"
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi All,

Thank you for your posts and suggestions. It seems the default application is not being correctly passed through the Editor. It should indeed use the system default if you chose the 'default' option. I have created an internal development ticket to help track the status of this issue. Please reference RT#3969: Edit Image with default application always uses M$ Paint when requesting an update to this issue.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Special
User

Post by Special »

Is there a chance you can make it so PDF X-Change uses a certain program for the paint/editor similarly to the way you have it already like so in this screen shot.

Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello guys,

The thing is that in Windows 10 Open With and Edit With are two different animals. Changing the default Edit With application can be done via the registry. Here's what you need to do:
1.) Open Regedit
2.) Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SystemFileAssociations\.png
3.) on the ".png" key add new key "shell"
4.) on the "shell" key add a new key "edit"
5.) on the "edit" key add a new key "command"
6.) Select the "command" node you should see the "(default)" string value on the right side, double click or select and press enter.
7.) Should now be in the "Edit String" dialog box, and set the value to the program desire with %1.
Example:
(use my program.exe) you should have the full path
c:\SomeDirectory\SubDir1\MyProgram.exe %1

If you do so, then when you do Right Click(on the image file)/Edit the program that you provided will be used as it will be used in the Editor.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Sasha - Tracker Dev Team wrote:If you do so, then when you do Right Click(on the image file)/Edit the program that you provided will be used as it will be used in the Editor.
Thanks. That worked for me. PNG images now open in IrfanView 32-bit as the default application.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Bhikkhu!

Glad to hear this Helped!

Cheers,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:11 am [...] Please reference RT#3969: Edit Image with default application always uses M$ Paint when requesting an update to this issue.
Hello all,

is there any new status on this ticket?

I would also find it very helpful if a default application for editing images could be set specifically in PDF-XChange Editor, regardless of what is set as the default application in Windows for opening or editing image files.

Thanks for consideration,

David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi David,

this was indeed done, I think the issue is that Windows has two available options for images, Open and Edit. As I understand it "Open" is the one set by the settings "Open With" and in the Windows Settings. I could not find any way to explicitly set the "Edit" that our Editor uses. After some digging I found it is that Microsoft, in their wisdom, seem to have not created a way for users to set this file association themselves!

I eventually found a little app that I successfully used to set the value for the Edit default and sure enough, setting that works and the Editor can use it as the "Default":
DefaultImageEditor.gif
The app I used is rather than manually editing the registry and I am not sure what else it does, so if you want to do this you do so at your own risk. The article I read that led me to it is here: https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-easily-change-windows-10-default-photo-editor
and the app itself here: https://defaultprogramseditor.com/

To summarize, we use the Windows default Editor, not Viewer, and setting that is outside of the normal settings for "default apps". I'm going to lay the blame directly at Microsoft's feet for this one. I don't see why they have to obfuscate setting the default image editor this way, but there you go.

I hope that helps anyone else wanting a different image editor as their default.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
http://www.tracker-software.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Paul,

although it would be even more flexible (and also easier for the user) if the default image editor could be set directly within PDF-XChange Editor, regardless of what the default image editor is in Windows.

On the other hand, your above approach completely solves the issue for me, particularly with the excellent tool "Default Programs Editor".

Thanks again and
Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

My pleasure David,

I am pleased it worked for you. The dev team does not feel that is is our place to set the default fore other applications. It is one thing to set our application as a default, but the feeling is we should ne be involved in doing that for other apps.

At least you have a functional way to do it now.

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
http://www.tracker-software.com