PDF to Image - unable to change compression on TIF?

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bjohn4210
User

PDF to Image - unable to change compression on TIF?

Post by bjohn4210 »

Hi,

I'm testing out your PDF - Tools software and find it very easy to use and functional.

Here's the brief story: My company needs to convert Multipage color/b/w PDFs, each page to a single page Tiff.

I got around your limitation of not having Tiffs as an option for singlepage images, by constructing the following:

Ask for source files
Split/Merge document : Split each Multipage pdf into multiple single page pdfs
Save Document
Export PDF to Images
Save Images : always multipage format

However, now I'm stuck with Tiffs that only have LZW compression. I'd rather not have to use multiple tools. Is there a way to change this someplace?

--BJohn
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF to Image - unable to change compression on TIF?

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello bjohn4210,

Thank you for the post and welcome to our forums. In PDF-Tools V6, you do not need to create a custom tool to convert multiple PDf to Tiff format. Simply use the settings indicated in the screenshot below for the desired output.

As you can see from my folder, each page of this 100 page PDF has been exported to a single page tif:

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
bjohn4210
User

Post by bjohn4210 »

Thanks for your quick reply.

Ah, I see. I did not even notice that. That is very impressive (you don't even know how many horrible PDF conversion tools I've been wading through the last couple of days before I found this one. But I digress. :D

Now is there anyway to change the compression, other than LZW? Ideally, I would love to get b/w tiffs from a b/w pdf page (c4 compression), and color tiff from color pdf page (jpeg compression). Any tricks for that?

Thanks again.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi BJohn.
Now is there anyway to change the compression, other than LZW? Ideally, I would love to get b/w tiffs from a b/w pdf page (c4 compression), and color tiff from color pdf page (jpeg compression).
In the future we will add the possibility to customize image-format parameters including compression, bpp etc.
Also we'll think about the option for choosing optimal compression method automatically, depending on image-type (color, grayscale black&white etc).

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Do I understand correctly that the "None", "ZIP" and "JPEG" options for "Image Compression" in "TIFF Options" are still missing?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

There are JPEG and "No Compression" options:
image.png
And as for "Zip" - LZW and deflate should be acceptable options.

This is some info I found online:

On 8-bit TIFF files the difference in file size between LZW and ZIP is negligible, but ZIP takes 2-3x as long to save. On 16-bit TIFF files LZW often makes files that are larger than both ZIP or uncompressed TIFF files, so if you're going to use compression on 16-bit TIFF files skip LZW and use ZIP instead.

Deflate is the smallest, slowest to write but faster to read than LZW. LZW compresses twice as fast as Deflate but is slower to decompress. In my case Deflate with horizontal differencing is the best choice, since it is the smallest and still has OK read times.

So are you having 16bit Tiffs that you need to use Zip on? And is Deflate not usable for your files?

Kind regards,
Stefan