Convert PDF to something flexible for e-ink reader

Please post any requests or ideas you may have for new features for the end User Version of PDF-Tools here.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, John - Tracker Supp, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Tracker - Clarion Support, moderators, Support Staff

guyghk
User

Convert PDF to something flexible for e-ink reader

Post by guyghk »

Hi,

A suggestion: a function that would allow you to convert a PDF to something more easily viewable on a Sony Reader (& other e-ink readers).

I know that Readers can show PDF's, but most PDFs are created for A4 or Letter size, while e-ink readers are about half that size. So the options would be:

- expand the number of formats PDF Tools can extract to, to include one that interacts well with an e-ink Reader (html?);

- allow the user to break each PDF page into two pages, or into a smaller page size without losing the flow and readability of the content;

- preferably allow the user to select multiple documents and put the end result into multiple files, in a pre-selected folder (some kind of batch process, to convert an entire library or foler of PDF's);

- alternatively at a minimum (not my favourite suggestion), a separate option or program to print for a Reader: essentially a simplified & idiot-proof version of PDF-Exchange, that prints by default to a page size suitable for an e-Ink Reader. Perhaps a separate "printer" icon, but with settings specific to a Reader (I understand A6 for the Iliad) so you don't have to change them each time.

Given the push that e-ink readers are getting right now and the fact that the huge libary of potential material everyone already has (PDF's) is not formatted for them (because of screen space), I imagine you would open up a huge new market for yourselves if you had a reasonable solution.

I expect a good solution could get bundled with each Reader, or at least would get mentioned as a solution in many of the articles discussing them.

Guy