Automatic highlighting of bookmarks

Please post any requests or ideas you may have for new features for the end User Version of PDF-Tools here.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, John - Tracker Supp, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Tracker - Clarion Support, moderators, Support Staff

kurtk
User

Automatic highlighting of bookmarks

Post by kurtk »

I looked a little and couldn't find if this is already available. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would like something that is between highlights and bookmarks. I'm using Docear to port out comments and bookmarks, so all my notes on a given PDF are in the bookmarks/comments. The bookmarks both highlight the text of the original document (so it can be grabbed by Docear) as well as hold my own comments. Bookmarks are great because you can drag them and make a hierarchy of copied text and notes.

This all being said, I do miss the ability to visually see the location of the original text. Highlights are good for this, but it's hard to attach comments to a given highlight, especially if I want to make multiple comments about a single highlight.

So, what I would like is to be able to visually highlight the location of a bookmark whenever the mouse hovers over the bookmark. Is this possible?

Thanks!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Automatic highlighting of bookmarks

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello kurtk,

Welcome to our forums, and thanks for the question.
I am afraid that bookmarks inside a PDF are following a different specification, so the bookmark just points to a location in the file/a named destination, or performs some other action. The page itself is separate from the bookmarks tree.

The way I can see you do that is to actually place highlights on top of the words in question, and when you click a bookmark - you will be taken to that page, and be able to quickly see the word. If there are multiple words close together though - things will probably get complicated. And there is no way to only highlight a word while you are hovering over a bookmark!

Regards,
Stefan