Getting the print driver to launch my app

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Andrew - Tracker Support, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Support Staff, moderators

jonathanreidnz
User

Getting the print driver to launch my app

Post by jonathanreidnz » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:50 am

I need to create an application that works like so:

1. User prints from windows app eg desktop publishing app to virtual print driver
2. My application then gets launched and provides very limited control over PDF output & preview
3. My application then captures order information and sends the order and PDF to our webserver for printing

The PDF will not be made available for general use on the PC by the user ie it will be hidden on creation and then deleted once sent.

Can I achieve the above with PDF-XChange Driver's API SDK ?
Are there limitations with PDF-XChange in creating a print ready PDF ?
What other licensing costs would there be for this applicatio.

PS - tried sending this to sales email address (with product in subject) but no one answered.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:18 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the message - sorry for the delay - but the individual responsible has been at the ceBIT fair in Hannover - and thus has had limited time to reply.

The SDK drivers can only be used if you can control the app you are printing from and pass the Developer License strings as part of the process - e.g. as done in the evlaution version sample for MS Office/HTML .

It sounds like your needs are more general and you cannot control/write an interface for your users to print from that you control 100% of the time and if not - you cannot use the SDK version of the driver.

If you cannot use the SDK version - then you must use the 'open' end user version and this requires per seat licensing.

To discuss such OEM licensing - please email johnv@tracker-software.com - he is back in the office on Monday and you should receive a prompt answer as soon as he has caught up with the backlog.

many thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com