Is it possible to change driver settings from program?

Raster-XChange SDK (all versions)
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's Raster-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only).

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software

ErikG
User

Is it possible to change driver settings from program?

Post by ErikG » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:23 pm

I want to use the Raster-Change API to convert from pdf to tiff and from other formats. The method IPrinter::PrintDocument takes two parameters, File to print and WaitForFinish. Then it internally uses DDE for printing. Now Acrobat is the installed application, and for pdf:s I would much more prefer to use PDFXChange pxcview36 to print. I can of course use an installed printer with the Raster-XChange printer driver, but am I able to change its settings? Can I use the Windows DocumentProperties() to get a DEVMODE structure and from that get access to the Raster-XChange IDevMode properties?

I have looked into the TIFF-XChange SDK, which gives the control I want, but it only works on Win-32.

TIA

Erik

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to change driver settings from program?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:32 pm

Hi Erik,

Attached is the help file for the Raster XChange SDK - with all the settings you can control through it.

Best,
Stefan
Attachments
RXCSDK.zip
(15.57 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

ErikG
User

Post by ErikG » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:29 pm

Hi Stefan!
Of cource I have read the help file and looked into the example. I have been working from time to time the last 14 years or so with document conversion. To make a conversion you have to follow this steps:
1. Open original document with application that can render it and send it to printer driver. You can use DDE for this, but it does not give control, and you are in the hands of the application.
2. Use printer driver to make the actual conversion.

For PDF:s I like to use PDFXChange pxcview36 for rendering and call the printer (for print, not conversion). I did that for another customer, and it has been running for years now without any problems. To use Acrobat is out of the question, Adobe has worked hard to make sure that it can´t be integrated with other software.

So I take it that the API currently only supports rendering via DDE, and that manipulating the specific Raster-XChange options only is available via the API. Iwould be much more helped with an API as in PDFXChange 5.

Erik

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:30 am

That is correct - you can only manipulate the settings directly from your own coded applications using the API - not 3rd party app's directly (e.g. MS Office) and in fact all of our SDK licenses specifically prohibit this - except for the purposes of conversion to create output in the background and then save for example to a structured DM application you have created etc (e.g the user cannot directly output from 3rd party app's to our products).

If you need clarification on what you wish to do is within the license agreement - please email us with a brief description of what you wish to do and we will be happy to advise.

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

ErikG
User

Post by ErikG » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:31 pm

OK, thanks for your answer. Actually, my customer has decided to concentrate on pdf/a, so for the moment I am studying PDFXChange to see if I can get it working.

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:42 pm

Hello ErikG,

Yes Creating PDF/A compliant files is possible both with the end used drivers as well as through the Drivers API SDK.

Regards,
Stefan