PDF-XChange Editor is GOLD !!!!!!!!

Resource for the support of products published by Tracker Software Products limited - as detailed below.
PDF-XChange - TIFF-XChange - Image-XChange - xMF-XChange - Raster-XChange - Tracker PDF Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

PDF-XChange Editor is GOLD !!!!!!!!

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Home » About Tracker Software Products Ltd. » News, Press & Events » PDF-XChange Editor - Gold release !!!
News, Press & Events

PDF-XChange Editor - Gold release !!! 26 APR 2013

We are very pleased to announce the formal 'Gold' release of the PDF-XChange Editor build 301 today Friday April 26th.

This is the formal upgrade available to the PDF-XChange Viewer and is now our primary product offering for the Viewing, modification and printing of PDF files, a comprehensive specification and feature chart is available from this link;

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXEdi ... csheet.pdf

Here are some general notes and FAQ's for user's;

1: To download and install please visit this page on our web site;

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

2: The PDF-XChange Viewer Live Update will not upgrade your installation - these are strictly speaking 2 separate products and will co-exist on your system as such, you must specifically download and install the Editor independently.

3: PDF-XChange Editor will replace the PDF-XChange Viewer as a component of our other product installers progressively over the coming 14 days - but for now it is only available as an independently installed product. So if you have purchased PDF-XChange PRO, PDF-Tools or the PDF-XChange Viewer and your license was issued after Jan 1st 2012 - your serial number is valid and will function in the Editor - but you will need to download the installer independently from the link given above.

4: We have promised we would be generous when it came to offering an upgrade path to the Editor due to the delays in releasing and in keeping with this here are the rules in regards the upgrade options that will apply;

a) You have purchased any of our products which include the PDF-XChange Viewer PRO since January 1st 2012 - your existing serial number will unlock all 'PRO' licensed functionality in this 'Gold' build of the PDF-XChange Editor - no action is required in terms of product license upgrades etc.

b) You purchased one of our products incorporating the PDF-XChange Viewer PRO prior to Jan 1st 2012 - but your maintenance expired on or after May 31st 2012 and you have not renewed your maintenance. We will provide as necessary a serial number giving full unrestricted access to the full feature set of the PDF-XChange Editor Gold build free of charge.

c:) You purchased any of our products incorporating the PDF-XChange Viewer PRO prior to Jan 1st 2012 and your maintenance expired prior to May 31st 2012 - your existing serial number will not function in the new PDF-XChange Editor and either a discounted product upgrade or Maintenance renewal is required, please contact us with your existing license details and we will be pleased to provide further information/costings as appropriate.

Going forward ...

Future updates to the PDF-XChange Editor will require you have product maintenance in place - this Gold release will not cease to function if you have a currently valid serial number - but your access to future updates will be curtailed.

Therefore if you wish to update to later builds as we offer updates and feature enhancements a new serial number will be required in subsequent builds and we will be increasing the price of all our products and consequently maintenance on May 24th - so we strongly recommend if you like what you see now and wish to have access to future updates and feature enhancements, please ensure you update your maintenance plan now as this will be more expensive from May 24th 2012.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
ZoNi
User

Re: PDF-XChange Editor is GOLD !!!!!!!!

Post by ZoNi »

So... Is this mean that free PDFX Viewer will not be available anymore?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

For now we will offer both side by side ...
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
ZoNi
User

Post by ZoNi »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:For now
Hm... That doesn't sound very promising ;)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello ZoNi,

Why doesn't it sound promising?
We will provide both products side by side for some time, and then naturally - the Viewer will no longer be updated with new builds, as the Editor is intended to be it's successor. At that point - just as with any other of our legacy products - you can continue to use it for as long as you like - and a download for the last Viewer build will be available, but you will just not get the latest up to date features and bug fixes as we will discontinue support for the Viewer.

Best,
Stefan
robertcollier4
User

Post by robertcollier4 »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:as this will be more expensive from May 24th 2012.
Typo - should read 2013.

And personal note - many of us only need a viewer and do not edit PDFs. If possible, please keep supporting updates to PDF XChange Viewer standalone.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

robertcollier4 wrote:And personal note - many of us only need a viewer and do not edit PDFs.
For now the Editor in many cases is faster than Viewer, it has almost all features from viewer and contains many new features which are not presented in viewer.
Viewer is good and stable product but Editor is new and more progressive with new fast UI and new features for viewing/editing, and it is being actively developed and improved..
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
ZoNi
User

Post by ZoNi »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Why doesn't it sound promising?
Well... I am now get used to free PDFX - I like it, I like fact that it is free, and I like fact that it is updated very often.

Of course, I understand that you need money, but I hope anyway that there will be some "Lite" (free) version of Editor (I haven't even heard of it until this topic ;) ).
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

There will be a free release of the Editor as there is the Viewer.

HTH

Best regards
Tracker Support
ZoNi
User

Post by ZoNi »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:There will be a free release of the Editor as there is the Viewer.
Well, that is GOOD news! :) Thank you.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
jeremytrnr
User

Post by jeremytrnr »

Has the ability to do redaction been included in the Gold version?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forums - redaction has not yet been implemented, but it is being worked on for implementation at a later date.

Hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
trackNumberall
User

Post by trackNumberall »

Hello,

I'm happy to hear the Editor is now ready to use. But I do have a couple questions.

One reason we use the viewer is that I DON'T want my users to be able to edit their PDF's. Will there be a version of the Editor that is Read-Only, like Viewer?

Also can we turn off the ability to use java-script, and animations, and other extra capabilities of PDF's? Those are security risks in my mind, and I'd rather my users don't have access to them by default.

Thanks,
Daniel
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Daniel,

We will keep the Viewer as a product, and while it might not be as actively developed as the Editor would be from here on - it will still be there for anyone to use. JS can be turned on or off in both the Viewer and Editor.

Regards,
Stefan
trackNumberall
User

Post by trackNumberall »

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm glad the viewer will still be available. But it would be nice if we could switch to the Editor in some sort of Read-Only mode. Or at least in a mark-up only mode. Because I am excited about the new Editor, I just need a version that is read-only for the majority of my users.

Thanks,
Daniel
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Daniel,

I can place a feature request for this, but I can't make any promises as to whether or not it will be implemented, or if it's something that can be implemented at all. Also, please keep in mind that the vast majority of feature requests, for the Editor, have been set to long term as we continue to work on the migration of Viewer features, to the Editor, which is currently our priority.

Cheers, hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
trackNumberall
User

Post by trackNumberall »

Hi Stefan,

Thank you. I appreciate it. I'll be trying the editor for my power users in anycase.

Regards,
Daniel
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
bawldiggle
User

Post by bawldiggle »

In last few weeks (June 2013) I downloaded free "Viewer" for assessment.

Just found this thread PDF-XChange Editor is GOLD

As an Autocad developer I include PDF (help) files (currently created in Adobe).
(with a tip to add their own notes/comments to my PDF Help file in words that suit their own perceptions)

Some of my clients are baulking at the co$t of Adobe.
Since discovering PDF-XChange, I am experimenting (when I have time), with a view to suggesting PDF-XChange to my clients.

Is "Editor" free AND does it do the same features as "Viewer" ?
  • ie, sticky-notes, textboxes, callouts, hilites
So far PDF-XChange Viewer is looking very promising and a lot better value for money than Adobe.

Thank you
"the-bald-one"
Free PDF-XChange Editor since 12-Aug-2018
Free PDF-XChange Viewer for too long
... cautiously testing Editor
• Win-7 PRO 64bit | Win-7 Home 64-bit | Win-7 Home 32-bit ... fiddling with Linux Mint too
• ClassicShell GUI
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi bawldiggle,

Thanks for the post - the Editor doesn't quite have all of the functionality of the Viewer yet, as it's still only a partial release and we're still in the process of migrating features over. It does, however, have the ability to to highlight text, add Sticky Notes, Textboxes, Callouts, etc., so I'd definitely suggest giving it a try:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE3.zip

Hope that helps!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
chanh
User

Post by chanh »

Will there be portable version like in the viewer?

Thanks
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Chan,

I believe it is planned but not until after it replaces the Viewer completely. Some time away yet.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
chanh
User

Post by chanh »

ok, I can't wait to see how it works.
Thanks
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
ParzivalRM
User

Post by ParzivalRM »

WIll the free version PDF-XChange Editor eventually be able to edit an *existing* .pdf file, assuming that one has the necessary permission? By "edit" I mean make small deletions and changes to existing text, without any attempt to make the paragraph text reflow.

At the moment, such editing is only available in the paid application's trial version.

(Apologies if this has already been answered. In particular, I was not sure precisely what was meant by "redaction" in an earlier posting in this thread.)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello ParzivalRM,

Using the actual text editing will be reserved for only licensed use of the Editor, but if you want you can still use e.g. the typewriter/text-area tool to cover the old text and place the new one on top of it just as you can do with the Viewer now, and those features are free:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/275

Regards,
Stefan
ParzivalRM
User

Post by ParzivalRM »

Thanks, Stefan, for clearing that up.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Spiff
User

Post by Spiff »

Dear Tracker Support,

With PDF-XChange Editor 3.0.305 now released on October 21, I understand that the Editor is now considered the main product, instead of the PDF-XChange Viewer. Am I correct?
But I understand the Viewer is also still offered.

I think it would be good to have one thing clear:
As long as the Viewer is still offered, will it get patches for security vulnerabilities, if any security vulnerability would be discovered?

June 19,
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: We will keep the Viewer as a product, and while it might not be as actively developed as the Editor would be from here on - it will still be there for anyone to use.
And earlier, May 7,
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: [...] the Viewer will no longer be updated with new builds, as the Editor is intended to be it's successor. At that point - just as with any other of our legacy products - you can continue to use it for as long as you like - and a download for the last Viewer build will be available, but you will just not get the latest up to date features and bug fixes as we will discontinue support for the Viewer.
As the Viewer will no longer be actively developed, it is clear that there will be no more updates adding new features or fixing non-security bugs. But security vulnerabilities are something else, I would say.
That is why I think it is important to have one thing clear:
As long as the Viewer is still offered, will it get patches for security vulnerabilities, if any security vulnerability would be discovered?

Thanks very much
and best regards,

Spiff
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi,

The overall answer to your question is simply this - development on the Viewer has stopped - we will make a service release later this week fixing a few last items - but do not expect further fixes - that's not to say we will not make them - but it is not something we intend to do and should not be relied on.

The Editor will be the main focus of development for viewing and editing and we cannot commit to any further maintenance of the Viewer itself.

Continuing to use the Viewer will be your choice and at your risk - having said that it has proved to be extremely robust and secure so we do not anticipate significant issues should you choose to do so for most needs.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Spiff
User

Post by Spiff »

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your reply.
I think your answer is clear.

As I said, it is obvious that there will be no more updates adding new features or fixing non-security bugs in PDF-XChange Viewer. But security vulnerabilities are something else, I would say.

Of course, the PDF-XChange Viewer has hardly had any security vulnerabilities, over the years.
I think it is not very likely that any new security vulnerabilities will be found in PDF-XChange Viewer.
But nevertheless, as long as the Viewer is still offered, if any security vulnerability would be discovered (as unlikely as that may be), I think it would be wise to offer a patch for such security vulnerability. And as the chance of any new vulnerabilities being found in the Viewer is slim, it can't be much of an effort to offer a patch in the very sporadic case a new vulnerability would be found, I would think.

If it is Tracker Software's intention to keep offering the PDF-XChange Viewer but not to offer patches for security vulnerabilities (in the unlikely event of any new vulnerability), then I think it would be wise to mention so in the PDF-XChange Viewer documentation. Something like you said, "Continuing to use the Viewer will be your choice and at your risk".

Anyhow, that's my humble opinion.

Best regards,
Spiff
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for your comments - you points are well made and will be considered carefully as always ...

Best regards
Tracker Support
Spiff
User

Post by Spiff »

Thank you very much, John.

Best regards, as always,
Spiff
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
BillR
User

Post by BillR »

Only thing I am disappointed about is the older style menus instead of Ribbons used in most software now.
I suppose having been used to Ribbons I now find that easier. I now get a bit lost with toolbars.

Any chance of a Ribbon UI being used int he future?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

At some point in the 'nearish' future we are considering (note 'considering') an option that will allow user's who prefer the 'classic' interface to use that or users who prefer a 'Ribbon' to select that kind of toolbar as a preference option.

Please note the over whelming feedback we have now is that users prefer the existing classic style.

However - all users resist change and we do expect over the coming months and years as users get used to a Ribbon style for the balance to change - hence the above ...

HTH

Best regards
Tracker Support
thomas avers
User

Post by thomas avers »

Confused about my upgrade path. I purchased PDF XChange Viewer (PRO) on Dec 28, 2011 and have maintenance expiring on Dec 28, 2014. Also received with that purchase a free PDF Exchange 4.0 Lite printer driver to create pdf files from within applications. Questions:

1. Does PDF XChange Editor (paid version) completely replace these two products (I need both) and does it add the ability to erase sections of the pdf using an eraser tool - some call this redacting but I mean blanking to white?

2. My upgrade options in my account are PDF Tools for $8.25, PDF XChange Editor for $30.45 and PDF XChange Pro for $41.34.

3. Basically I want to keep the features of PRO, have the print driver and ability to delete via eraser sections of pdf files I have made with the driver. Which product do I want or should I keep my setup as is without ability to erase?

4. Does my maintenance going until Dec 28, 2014 have any value whatsoever on the upgrade? If not, why did I buy it?

Appreciate any assistance, would normally email this type of question but seems you folks prefer this method.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Please email support - your maintenance entitles you to use of the Editor PRO and this will effectively give you all you have now - and the Editor PRO - which does replace the Viewer although for now that is still available for use and minor updates will be provided if deemed appropriate.

You will be provided with a new serial number which will replace the old (and this will be disabled) for use in all products.

Hope that helps

Best regards
Tracker Support
thomas avers
User

Post by thomas avers »

Thanks for the fast reply, I will email support. One comment - it seems that the upgrade info for those with current maintenance is not covered very clearly in the email I was sent or the website material. Thanks again for the help.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
cer
User

Post by cer »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:
The Editor will be the main focus of development for viewing and editing
I've just had to uninstall Editor and put back Viewer because Editor will not allow me to customise the toolbars. I have been using PDFXChange Viewer Pro since it launched, and I've been so looking forward to Editor so I can't tell you how disappointed I am.

I assume it is planned to make customisation possible? If so, do you know when?

Claire
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Claire,

Toolbar customization is planned for the very next build of the Editor.

Regards,
Stefan
mepoz
User

Post by mepoz »

Thanks John - just discovered the same issue, with the same end-result as Claire! Thanks for prioritising this rectification.

Could you also consider an option to make the toolbar icons smaller (i.e. same size as in Viewer) so we can fit all the 'best ones' onto one line as before.

Also Viewer allows us to dock the Properties toolbar up alongside the File | Edit | View command bar, which is fantastic for saving useable screen real estate. Can you allow Editor to do this too?

It's these customisable productivity differences in XChange Viewer that sets you apart from Acrobat Reader XI etc.

Many thanks for trying to make Editor a worthy successor to Viewer!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi mepoz,

We are indeed working as hard as possible on this and other features to be implemented in the next build.
As for icon size - I will pass it for consideration.

Regards,
Stefan
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Could you also consider an option to make the toolbar icons smaller (i.e. same size as in Viewer) so we can fit all the 'best ones' onto one line as before.
In the next build we planning to present next customizing features: add/remove/reorder toolbars, add/remove/reorder items inside them. Option for showing small icons in toolbars and menus will be added a bit later.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
buford_self
User

Post by buford_self »

I just purchased the Editor and cannot get the tools to work, any suggestions.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Buford,

Thanks for the post - we're going to need a little more information. Could you please detail exactly what the issue is?

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
kashiash
User

Post by kashiash »

is possible to have Editor options in my app when i have Xchange PRO SDK ?
is anywhere example how to do this in clarion ?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi kashiash,

Thanks for the post - I'm afraid that this is not possible until the Editor SDK itself has been released. I don't have any available timeframe on when that would be just yet, as it's a pretty big job.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)