Compatibility problems with version 6

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's OFFice2PDF and MS Office Addin Applications - supplied with PDF-XChange.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kristoffer braun
User

Compatibility problems with version 6

Post by kristoffer braun »

Hi,

I'm writing in this forum because there is no area for the new version yet.
After installing version 6.0.317 of the PDF-XChange PRO I tried to start Word (Office 365, newest version) but it crashed immediately. I tried it again and Word told me that there is a problem with both addins and that I should deactivate them. After I deactivated them Word started without any problems.

I attached three pictures.
1. The two addins. Unfortunately I don't know what the difference between both is. If I activate both, Word doesn't crash immediately, but I have to menus with the same entries of pdf x change in Word. One of them is working fine but as soon as I click something in the other menu Word crashes again. Even if I activate both and just close Word, they get deactivated automatically.
2 + 3. Just two (German) messages which say that there is a problem with the specific addin and that I should deactivate them.

Thanks!

Kris

btw: I really like your new website. It's much better and modern than the old one. Good work!
Attachments
PDF.zip
(25.01 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Compatibility problems with version 6

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Kristoffer,

Thanks for the post and screen-shots - when you say that you're seeing this with Office 365, do you mean i.e. Word 2013, Excel 2013, etc., or is Word 2016, Excel 2013, etc.? My understanding is that Office 365 can include either, depending on when you installed.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
kristoffer braun
User

Post by kristoffer braun »

Hi Will,

it's Word 2016 (more precisely, version 16.0.6741.2017).
I'm using the 32 bit edition on 64 bit Windows 10. It's the "regular" installed one, not the online service.

Kind regards,
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Kristopher,

Thanks for that info. - I'll add that to my list of items to test today/tomorrow. I don't have Windows 10 here and am working from home for the next few hours. I'll give this a test as soon as I'm able, when in the main office.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
xtabber
User

Post by xtabber »

I have run into exactly the same problem with the new PDF XChange Pro Version 6.0.317.0 and MS Office 2010 (32 bit) running on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Excel crashes immediately on startup unless I disable the add-ins.
alfa, llc
User

Post by alfa, llc »

Folks,

I am having pretty much the same issue with MS Office 2013. The PDF writer when used inside the MS Office application causes crashes with Word, Excel, VISIO and Powerpoint at different times. The MS Office 2013 application then asks me if I want to disable the add-in which I have to say "yes" if I want to use Word, Excel, etc.

Giys need to fix this as it seems to be across the boards on this problem. BTW, I am using Windows 7 Professional (x64 bit) with SP1. Never had any problem with version 5 of your great/fantastic product!

I will go back to version 5 for now and wait for the fix on version 6.

Thanks!

Chris Tocci
cstocci@comcast.net
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Myself, I do not have a possibility to check and test this out for myself, because I only have a Windows 10, 32-bit.
I can not install PDF-XChange 64-bit nor MS Office 64-bit, to see if I can reproduce the problem.

I suppose the problem is coming from the fact that you are using a PDF-XChange 64-bit installation in combination with a Microsoft Office 32-bit, or vice-versa. Myself, I do not have any problem with the new V6 office add-ins in MS Office 2010.

So, can someone - who's having a problem - install the PDF-XChange xx-bit version that corresponds with the xx-bit version of Microsoft Office, so that both applications have equal xx-bit version?
And, please tell it to this forum, if that proposition helped (or not).

Would Tracker Software support be so kind to check if the problem is reproducible when mixing versions?
(or it must be that I am totally wrong in my supposition)

Best regards.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

We've just tested here on Win 10 with MS Office 2016, 32-bit and could not reproduce the issue. It doesn't appear to be specific to any version of MS Office or Windows. or the architecture of Windows/MS Office.

One final suggestion, before escalating the issue further, please try to re-register the DLL for the add-in:

1) type CMD into the Windows Start Menu, then right click the CMD and select "Run as Administrator" (Please note, running as admin is essential, otherwise the registration will fail!):

2) Type the following and hit enter (architecture specific):

64-bit Office:
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 6\PXCOfficeAddin6x64.dll"

32-bit Windows/Office:
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 6\PXCOfficeAddin6.dll"

If successful, you should see this message:

If not successful, or if that doesn't help, let me know!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
alfa, llc
User

Post by alfa, llc »

Hi,

I have Windows 7 Pro (64-bit). Running MS Office 2013 (32-bit). Installed the 64-bit version of the Tracker Software version 6.xx. Could be the issue, but version 5.xx installed both 32-bit and 64-bit MS Office versions.

Currently, using version 5.5.315.0 PXCOfficeAddin5.dll to do the PDF menus in all of my MS Office 2013 products. This works great! Must 64-bit as it is in the C:\Program Files\ versus the C:\Program Files (x86) subdirectory. I am running the latest version 6.0.317.0 PDFXEdit.exe with no problems either in the same 64-bit subdirectory.

Therefore, I believe the problem is probably in the one thing I did not let the Tracker Software Updater do which was to update the PDF-Xchange Driver to version 6.0.317.0. Currently running version 5.5.315 and this works.

Chris
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

V6 will also install both the 32-bit and 64-bit plugins, as the majority of MS Office users will install 32-bit MS Office, given that it is the one installed by default. It's possible that the wrong DLL was registered, so please do try registering the appropriate DLL for the architecture of Office that you have installed.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
alfa, llc
User

Post by alfa, llc »

Hi Will,

Have not had enough free time to play with version 6 per your insight as to the DLLs not getting registered. Will do that next when I get some free time.

One thing I noticed is that when I had this "incompatibility" issue in MS Office 2013 (32-bit), I saw the "PDF-XChange 5.0 Office COM Plugin" still present along with the version 6 entry. I thought that was weird. Could that have been the problem? I thought I did a full uninstall of the previous version 5 "everything" Tracker Software to have a clean starting point, yet this version 5 thing shows up with only version 6.0 being installed.

Is this a problem or was that OK? Do you still think the problem is unregistered DLLs? Both?

Chris
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

It's likely that some element was not completely uninstalled for V5.5., though without observing it as it happened, I could not say why. I don't believe that it should cause any issues with V6, but it's certainly possible.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Trombomaniac
User

Post by Trombomaniac »

Hi all,

I have the same problem.
But only on one of my machines.

The first one:
Surface Pro 3 with Win 10 64-Bit (Insider, newest version), Office 2016 (Abo, newest version) showed no problems with any add-in.

The second one:
PC with Win 7 64-Bit (newest updates installed) with Office 2013 Prof. plus (Office365 installed, newest version) showed the same problem with the add-ins.

I already tried to register the dll and it showed a success-message, but it did not help to get rid of the problem.

I did an install of V6 without removing V5 first. So maybe this IS a problem. I will deinstall everything from Tracker and install V6 fresh, to see if that helps. I will post the results when I am done.

Regards
Maik

UPDATE
OK, I did de-install everything. I ran CCleaner to make shure there are residues left.
I reinstalled V6. Now everything seems to work.
I will test it, and write if something comes up.
alfa, llc
User

Post by alfa, llc »

Hi Maik,

I did pretty much the same thing on my machine. Have Windows 7 (64-bit) Professional with MS Office 2013 (32-bit) and did the uninstall of version 5 initially and installed version 6 and got the problem we have been discussion in this thread.

As you mentioned, there were residues of version 5 left behind even though I used IOBIT's Uninstaller Pro ver 5.2. Perhaps CCleaner would do better...do not know. However will all of this said, I too had a working version 6 for a while then it would start acting up and I would have to shut the plugin down in order to operate the MS Office 2013 application.

Please let us all know if version 6 keeps working properly and make sure you exercise ALL of the MS Office applications, not just MS Word, but Excel, PowerPoint, etc....ALL of them as this was also a problem in that it would wok on one application and not another or it might shift around and start working in Word and not in Excel.

Chris
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi All,

We have noticed that sometimes even if you uninstall the old version - some registry entries remain in Word that could cause issues. If you know how to do it (I am deliberately not providing instructions) - please check if you have multiple entries in:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins for PDF XChange products.
If you have - please uninstall our products, then try removing those entries, and then install our products anew, and no more warnings should be shown. Of course if you have issues with our add-in in other products (e.g. Excel) - there are similar registry entries for the other Office products as well.

Regards,
Stefan
alfa, llc
User

Post by alfa, llc »

Hi Stefan,

I went into the following

HLM\software\microsoft\office\excel\addins
HLM\software\microsoft\office\outlook\addins
HLM\software\microsoft\office\powerpoint\addins
HLM\software\microsoft\office\publisher\addins
HLM\software\microsoft\office\word\addins

and deleted the entry referring to PDFExchange ver 5. Reinstalled version 6 and rebooted the machine.

Everything works perfectly, no crashes and the correct PDF printer is also showing in the printers.

Evidentally, in the install or uninstall, version 5 leaves some stuff in the registry that I discussed above. Go there and insure the ONLY thing under those categories is related to version 6.0 with respect to the Tracker Software application.

Chris
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear things are working now for you!

Cheers,
Stefan