Acro Form Issue

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK
Simple DLL and ActiveX

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan

gcobaughSLS
User

Acro Form Issue

Post by gcobaughSLS » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:01 pm

We are having an issue with acro form check boxes. Both Alan and I have windows 10 64 bit, but on his machine check boxes do not work properly. Combo boxes and text fields work fine but check boxes on Alan's machine do not. They seem to get focus, but do not check when clicked on. I've looked at everything, and it looks the same on both of our machines, but only works correctly on mine.

Thanks,
George

Tracker - Clarion Support
Site Admin

Re: Acro Form Issue

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi George!

What are you using to edit the AcroForms? Is it our PDF Viewer? If so is this the end-user Viewer or the ActiveX under program control?
Craig Ransom
Tracker Software - Clarion Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

gcobaughSLS
User

Post by gcobaughSLS » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:57 pm

We are using the active X control. It's a form we update the values to through our process from our db, then open. It opens ok, and everything works fine on my machine. But on Alan's only the check boxes do not work. When we save and close, we also save any changed form control values to our database. That works fine as well. It's just the check boxes on Alan's machine. Weird.

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:33 pm

Hi George!

If he tries to check the checkbox and then saves it, does it save a checked value or only an unchecked value?
Craig Ransom

gcobaughSLS
User

Post by gcobaughSLS » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:20 pm

We just tested it, and it does not check it, or save it as checked. We tried two times, with different boxes checked, and neither saved with a check on. Both off.

George

Tracker - Clarion Support wrote:Hi George!

If he tries to check the checkbox and then saves it, does it save a checked value or only an unchecked value?

gcobaughSLS
User

Post by gcobaughSLS » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:46 pm

Ran a series of tests. This specific control is a radio check box. Behavior is same on regular check box. This is the results: First (george1.pdf) Alan checked the 3rd box, did not show checked. Did not show checked on my machine either with Adobe, but the export data shows the value. Strange thing, is that on my machine, I can check 1, 2, 4, and 5, and it shows the check, but when I check 3, it does not show in adobe now.

Second test, (george2.pdf) Alan checked the 1st check box on same file opened in ax control in our program, and when opening on my machine, it does not show check, and now I can only check 2, 4, 5. 1 and 3 do not show check in adobe now. Export values show proper value.

Third test (george.pdf) Alan checked the 2nd check box on same file opened in ax control in our program, and then when opening the saved pdf on my machine in adobe, same behavior. I can not check only 4 and 5 with a visible check, but export file shows proper values.

I have the produced files, and export files if you need to examine them.

George

[quote="gcobaughSLS"]We just tested it, and it does not check it, or save it as checked. We tried two times, with different boxes checked, and neither saved with a check on. Both off.

George

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi George!

I don't see the pdf files that you are referencing, which would be very helpful.

You can email them to me or post them here, whichever you prefer.
Craig Ransom

gcobaughSLS
User

Post by gcobaughSLS » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:10 pm

Here are the pdf's
Attachments
GEORGE.pdf
(488.93 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
GEORGE2.pdf
(488.64 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
GEORGE1.pdf
(488.33 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

gcobaughSLS
User

Post by gcobaughSLS » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:12 pm

Here are the fdf files zipped. Would not allow me to attach as fdf's.
Attachments
GEORGE2.zip
(2.88 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:13 pm

Hi George!

You should always zip up any files you wish to send us either as posts or emails.
Craig Ransom

gcobaughSLS
User

Post by gcobaughSLS » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:31 pm

will do next time

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:05 pm

Hi George!

Do I understand correctly that you tried to enter the data in the form using Acrobat Reader, and it failed?

If so that might imply a problem with the form itself.

Can you please tell me what is the origin of these forms?
Craig Ransom

gcobaughSLS
User

Post by gcobaughSLS » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:17 pm

The error only occurs in Adobe after Alan tries to check the boxes in the Tracker Active X viewer. That's when the check box breaks for all others. If Alan doesn't open the form and check any boxes, I can open the form and it works fine in the Active X viewer, as well as everything else. As does any other computer in the office. Only Alan can break the form with the Active X viewer on his machine only. It works fine if he opens it on his machine using Adobe or anything else. It only breaks under the very specific circumstance of opening and checking a box on Alan's machine with the Active X Viewer. And only the boxes he tries to check break, any check boxes that he does not check continue to work fine.

The forms originate with the State of Texas, and then are modified by us to change the field/control names in the form to match our names so we can provide answers to them automatically using Tracker. Then they are opened in the Active X viewer, and any changes are then collected and stored in our database. All works fine, except when Alan tries to check a box, in the Active X Viewer, on his computer only. I still can't determine what is different about his computer than virtually any other, including mine which has identical operating system.

George

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:22 pm

Hi George!

Is there any chance that he is not using the same version of the ActiveX that you are?

Please check the File Versions for both your Viewer EXE and DLL files and his and make sure that they all match.

It's the only thing I can think of, except maybe when you the modified form to change the field names, something broke.
Craig Ransom

gcobaughSLS
User

Post by gcobaughSLS » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:59 pm

I double checked, and copied my files to his computer to make sure, so yes, it is the same version. So they all match.

As far as the modifications, the same thing happens when we test an untouched file directly from the state. Or any other acro form I could get my hands on. The same thing happens every time, but only on his computer. They work on all other computers, until he opens it on his, checks a box, and no check mark display. Then that specific (or any box Alan checks) is then broke on all machines thereafter.

We just checked again, unregistered the dll, and re-registered. Same thing happened. Strange that it is only his machine. Would having any other adobe software installed on the computer make a difference? He has an adobe editor that he uses to modify acro forms. But the forms we are testing were not created on his machine. Just wondering if having the software installed might be an issue.

It seems that when he checks the box, it is modifying the attributes of the checkbox maybe? That's why it is then broke on other machines it previously worked on?

Tracker - Clarion Support wrote:Hi George!

Is there any chance that he is not using the same version of the ActiveX that you are?

Please check the File Versions for both your Viewer EXE and DLL files and his and make sure that they all match.

It's the only thing I can think of, except maybe when you the modified form to change the field names, something broke.

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:16 pm

Hi George!

Please send me one each of your original unmodified form and after you modified the names, but before anyone tries to change the data in the form.
Craig Ransom

gcobaughSLS
User

Post by gcobaughSLS » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:04 pm

Attached is the original PDF 20-13.pdf which not an acroform, just a pdf file supplied by state of texas. Then we added fields, not just renamed them on this form (and all other forms with this issue). The other file is the modified pdf with the acroform fields added. It operates correctly, but does not show the green check mark on Alan's machine although it does on other machines, until Alan checks it on his, then it does not show on any machine.
Attachments
Trec form before and after.zip
(356.78 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:56 pm

OK, I'll take a look at this.
Craig Ransom

gcobaughSLS
User

Post by gcobaughSLS » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:24 pm

Update: When we change the properties of the check box to use the cross (x) instead of the check mark, everything works fine. So it seems it's only the check mark that causes the display issue, not displaying the check mark. And still only on Alan's Windows 10 64 bit machine.

So we are changing our forms to use the cross (x) instead of check mark. In Adobe the check appears correctly, but only in the tracker ax viewer does it not display.