OCR SDK Memory error

PDF-X OCR SDK is a New product from us and intended to compliment our existing PDF and Imaging Tools to provide the Developer with an expanding set of professional tools for Optical Character Recognition tasks

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bluescope buildings na
User

OCR SDK Memory error

Post by bluescope buildings na »

I am running the x86 OCRDemoCsharp sample on a PDF file at 300 DPI, I get an error back -1039531032 from the OCR_MakeSearchable call, I have also got memory exceptions back from the call almost randomly. Is this a documented error code? Or does someone know the meaning of the code?

Thanks
Alan Anderson
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: OCR SDK Memory error

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the post - this is a known issue, but there are several complications with pursuing a fix and there is no simple solution to be found.

For now, the only workarounds that we can offer a to use a lower DPI, or to use the 64-bit DLL.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
bluescope buildings na
User

Switching to the 64-bit dll worked just fine, I noticed it was using about 1.2-1.3 gig processing the image. Probably just too much for a 32bit dll.

Thanks
Alan
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Alan,

That is, indeed, the case and, while solutions exist, none are elegant or easy and none really meet our needs, or the needs of our users. We're looking to solve the issue, but cannot yet say when.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
bluescope buildings na
User

I feel the OCR software provided in the SDK really isn't usable. That is the sole purpose for my purchase of the SDK is to be able to "batch" OCR drawing files. Any real world examples crash in the OCR even with 200 DPI, I am using the 64bit DLL at the current time, and while it processes a few pages, it too gets memory errors and frankly is unusable. I know you guys are "redeveloping" the OCR part of the SDK, I can run the exact same file through PDF-XChange's built in OCR under documents and while it takes a really long time, the process does complete. I thought (mistakenly so) that the SDK would include the same OCR used in the PDF-XChange Editor tool, but apparently it doesn't.

Is there a way to invoke the same OCR that is used in the PDF-XChange Editor tool? I can provide a file if necessary.

Thanks
Alan Anderson
BlueScope Buildings NA
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello Alan,

Currently, the new OCR is being redeveloped as a part of the Editor's SDK. We plan to release it with the next build of the Editor. Sadly, it's a part of the Editor SDK so for now you can't use it as a standalone project.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
bluescope buildings na
User

We are currently running Version 5.5 (Build 315.0) which using the OCR under the document menu handles the same document just fine. I guess I incorrectly assumed that when we purchased the SDR we were getting the same software you were using in PDF-XChange, but the OCR issue implies that this isn't the case. Maybe you should make this clear before someone purchases the Pro SDK with the OCR built in, only to find out it doesn't work on documents in the same way your PDF-XChange editor does.

Alan Anderson
BlueScope Buildings NA
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Alan,

I see that my colleague Chris answered your e-mail.
I'd recommend that we do as he requests - and continue this after we've managed to run this through our next meeting with the devs and sales teams.

Regards,
Stefan