Feature request: Session management for xChange Editor

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

christian kuhlmann
User

Feature request: Session management for xChange Editor

Post by christian kuhlmann »

Hi,

I'm excessively using the feature of the editor to remember opened documents. However it would be even more useful if it were possible to store and recall several of these sessions. So when I work on task A, I could open all documents belonging to that and store it in Session A. When I have to do another task in between it would be easy to close these files and resume my work later on. Currently I keep a lot of documents open just because I know I will need them later on.
This feature could be integrated into the open dialogue where we are able to pin documents. This could be expanded so that it's also possible to "pin" a session.

Thanks for this nice tool and keep up the great work.

Christian
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: Session management for xChange Editor

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the suggestion - this is something that we plan to implement, but we don't yet have a 'concrete' date/build.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Take a look at this Utility written by a forum member. It works with PDF-XChange Viewer, not the editor. Perhaps someone can twist his arm to update it for the editor. Jiri Podhorny
  1. Create a list of PDF files in Notepad
  2. Save it as a session file with the extension *.ses
  3. Launch the utility from a shortcut
  4. Open the session file to launch the session
  5. Association *.ses files with the utility to open sessions directly in PDF-XChange Viewer with double-click from Windows Explorer.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestion Bhikkhu!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
wbt
User

Post by wbt »

Agreed - this would be a very useful feature. The Session Manager for Firefox (http://sessionmanager.mozdev.org/) could be a good model to follow.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestion wbt, I'll add your voice!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
radekzadek
User

Post by radekzadek »

This simple feature has been on the list for so long. Years, in fact! I started begging for it back in 2010 and so far no good. It's an essential feature for researchers and one, I very much believe, really simple to implement. I have been loyal to PDFxChange, I've made lots of people buy it but I am somewhat disappointed to see the lack of response to what I see as a simple issue.
Fingers crossed for the future!
RZ
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi radekzadek,

Thanks for the post - what may, on the surface, seem simple can often be quite complex to implement properly.

Also, we have a good many, higher priority, items on the list that must be implemented before this. Our primary area(s) of focus have been in readying and releasing the Editor SDK and Core API SDK, and associated documentation, and we've now switched primary focus to the development of PDF-Tools 5, which is long overdue. Feature requests for the Editor, unless simple or extremely highly requested, are always of a less priority than bug fixes and version overhauls.

As far as I'm aware, this is still planned, but do be aware that even the fact that we have previously planned the implementation of this feature is still not a definite guarantee to implement.

Lastly, this is not a highly requested item and, as such, has not been given priority status.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
ckFrazzled
User

Post by ckFrazzled »

The demand represented by forum posts is underestimating the number of users who desire it. I have been waiting for that feature for years as well, and just created an account to reiterate that it would be extremely useful for most researchers. I have been using the workaround posted above, organizing tasks by directory and creating lists which need to modified whenever something is added/moved/etc. I would pay for the premium version if this feature was available, as would many.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi everyone,

I would like to add that I too would very much like to see this operation in many programs. For me, the usefulness would be when dealing with different clients or cases. In short, I fully back this feature request!

As such I will be sure to speak directly to the dev. team and make a mission out of raising the priority of this! I suspect that once (if) this is implemented, many users will find it useful and wonder how they ever lived without it.

Thank you all for adding your voices!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
david king
User

Post by david king »

The equivalent of the old session utility for the PDF-XChange Viewer mentioned above can be replicated for both the Viewer and the Editor with a simple AutoHotKey script like the following example. The full paths to the desired files (enclosed in parens) are specified in variables fA, fB, fC, etc. The PDF-XChange executable (Editor or Viewer) can be changed by commenting out one of the two definitions of variable PDFXexe with a leading semicolon. (The example below uses the Editor executable.) The example shows two files defined (in variables fA and fB) and three unused (empty) variables. More variables can be added to the list of files and to the Run command as needed. The AutoHotKey script (.ahk) file is a text file and can be created and edited using Notepad. Multiple scripts can be created to open different sets of files. The desired script can be run by simply double-clicking on the .ahk file, assuming AutoHotKey (http://ahkscript.org/) is installed on the machine.

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

; PDFXexe = "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\PDFXCview.exe"
PDFXexe = "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Editor\PDFXEdit.exe"

fA = "c:\Users\David\Documents\Test.pdf"
fB = "c:\Users\David\Downloads\PDFX5MAN.pdf"
fC = ""
fD = ""
fE = ""

Run %PDFXexe% %fA% %fB% %fC% %fD% %fE%"

return
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David,

That's great, thanks for the detailed walk-through! :D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
anthony thomson
User

Post by anthony thomson »

+1

I also would like to see a Session Management feature in xChange Editor.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for adding your voice Anthony :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
joseph gatti
User

Post by joseph gatti »

Please add my voice as well. I too have been waiting for the Session Management feature to become a reality.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thank you Joseph Gatti,

We certainly do take every vote into account, and do have this particular feature on our radar!

Happy New Year!
Stefan
christian kuhlmann
User

Post by christian kuhlmann »

Hi Patrick, Will,
I just found out that sessions are now available in XChange Editor and wanted to thank you (and the devs) for adding this feature. I was messing with the registry up to now, but it required to restart the application. Now it works much smoother :D
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Pleasure! :D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi @all,

it appears that the Save Session feature does not save the different view positions in a case where multiple windows of the same PDF are opened. While the window positions on the monitor(s) seem to be restored correctly, all windows seem to show the same page after restoring the session -- instead of showing the last page that was displayed when the session was saved.

For example, this is my session "A" when saving the session:Image

...and this is session "A" after restarting PDF-XChange Editor and opening session "A":Image

Maybe the session management function can be changed just so much as to also save the page view positions of different windows of the same document?

Thanks already for considering!
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David,

The Session management was designed to cater to multiple documents, rather than multiple views of the same document. I've passed this along to the Devs. to see if this is something that we can improve upon, but I obviously can't guarantee anything just yet.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Will, that's understood!
Cheers
David
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)