PDF-XChange Printer 2012 truncates file names

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Seidenweber
User

PDF-XChange Printer 2012 truncates file names

Post by Seidenweber »

I use file names like
'Some Text here (15.10.2010) 2013.10.02.docx'

PDF-XChange Printer 2012 truncates all characters between the second last and the last dot of the file name.
As the result I get file names like 'Some Text here (15.10.2010) 2013.10.pdf' (".02" is missing).

Another example:
'Report v1.1.txt'
'Report v1.2.txt'

This would end up with the same PDF file name for both files:
'Report v1.pdf'
PDF-XChange PRO || Win10 Pro x64 || Intel Core i9-9900k || 64 GB RAM || Nvidia RTX 2080 ti || OKI ES5162 MFP
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange Printer 2012 truncates file names

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Seidenweber,

You've posted in our PDF Tools forums, but the question is for the printing drivers.
Please when specifying the file name make sure the format is "%[DocName].pdf" and the last portion of your original document's name won't be removed.

Regards,
Stefan
Seidenweber
User

Post by Seidenweber »

You've posted in our PDF Tools forums, but the question is for the printing drivers.
sorry for that
Please when specifying the file name make sure the format is "%[DocName].pdf" and the last portion of your original document's name won't be removed.
It was %[DocName] (afaik) by default and now I changed it.
Works like a charm. Thanks a lot.
PDF-XChange PRO || Win10 Pro x64 || Intel Core i9-9900k || 64 GB RAM || Nvidia RTX 2080 ti || OKI ES5162 MFP
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
Seidenweber
User

Post by Seidenweber »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Please when specifying the file name make sure the format is "%[DocName].pdf" and the last portion of your original document's name won't be removed.
...here we go again.

I'm using PDF-XChange Printer 2012
Version 5.5 Build 313.1

Using the Macro %[DocName].pdf now leads to double extensions, e.g. filename.pdf.pdf

Do you can give any hints how to solve this issue? Maybe by editing titrules.js or something?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Seidenweber,

Thanks for the post. You seem to be using a slightly older build. Please update and see if that resolves the issue. You can download the latest build here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Seidenweber
User

Post by Seidenweber »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:You seem to be using a slightly older build. Please update
Thanks for your help.

Has been done. Now I'm a proud user of build 314 8)
Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:and see if that resolves the issue.
nope, sorry...

Using %[DocName] results in Filename.1.2.3.ext -> Filename.1.2.pdf (3. is missing)

Using %[DocName].pdf results in Filename.1.2.3.ext -> Filename.1.2.3.pdf.pdf (double extension)

...for now I did a short AHK-script to rename the files after printing. But it's just a quick and dirty workaround.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Seidenweber,

Is the double extension just in the preview the driver shows in the settings screen, or is the actual file with a double .pdf.pdf at the end?
Seidenweber
User

Post by Seidenweber »

hello Stefan,
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Is the double extension just in the preview the driver shows in the settings screen, or is the actual file with a double .pdf.pdf at the end?
The actual file has a double extension.

Regardless of which program you use to print something. Word, Firefox, UltraEdit ... even Tackers Viewer or Editor produces this kind of wrong file names.
SaveSettings.pdf
My save settings
(94.89 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Seidenweber,

Thanks for the post - this was changed so that the .pdf, in the File Name Macro field, was no longer necessary. We had complaints of this behaviour and agreed that to require users to have the .pdf file extension there, was counter-intuitive. Please remove that .pdf and it should work as expected:
Screen-shot.zip
(60.27 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Seidenweber
User

Post by Seidenweber »

hey Will,

thanks for the screen shot, but...
Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Thanks for the post - this was changed so that the .pdf, in the File Name Macro field, was no longer necessary.
At this time you have to choose between two issues. Both of them are highly annoying and in both cases the printer driver is not able to generate proper file names:

Without ".pdf" after "%[DocName]" the last portion of the original filename will be removed, if you use dots in filenames.

With ".pdf" after "%[DocName]" you will end up with a double .pdf-extension at the end.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

With the newest release of "PDF-XChange Printer 2012" (v5.5.314.0) it seems to works correctly when you set
%[DocName].pdf as File Name.
By printing "One.Two.Three.Four.Five.Six.docx" I got "One.Two.Three.Four.Five.Six.pdf" as result.

If you only set %[DocName] then the last node of the filename falls away.
In this case, I got "One.Two.Three.Four.Five.pdf" as result.

So, some fine-tuning seems still to be made ...
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

Thanks for the tip!! I will discuss this with the dev team post haste!

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hey Guys,

I have heard back from the dev team on this and created an internal development ticket. Please reference RT#3210 when requesting an update to the issue.

Ivan has informed me that this should be fixed soon.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding while we work to resolve this issue.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Seidenweber
User

Post by Seidenweber »

Driver 5.5.315 is installed. Same problem :/
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Seidenweber,

The ticket was set to resolved, but I've just reopened it. Can you please confirm which problem exactly is still prenset?
The double .pdf.pdf at the end or the druncation of the .Six from the resultinf PDF file name when you use only %[DocName] and not %[DocName].pdf ?

Regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Still the same behaviour as it was in v5.5 build 314:

- when setting the File name to "%[DocName].pdf" in Save Settings of PDF-XChange Printer 2012 (v5.5 build 315),
the resulting PDF has exactly the same name as the original - except the extension of course.
one.two.three.four.five.six.docx >> one.two.three.four.five.six.pdf
*** So, this is (still) a correct behaviour.

- when setting the File name to "%[DocName]" in Save Settings of PDF-XChange Printer 2012 (v5.5 build 315),
the resulting PDF looses the last node in it's name.
one.two.three.four.five.six.docx >> one.two.three.four.five.pdf
*** So, this is (still) an incorrect behaviour.

I hope this is clear to Tracker Support ?

Best regards.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

The problem is in titrules.js that defines different logic extracting file name from print job name generated by different apps.
And the problem is that this file removes extension by itself. That has been done long time ago for some historical reason, and we are not so sure how to proper change it now as many users have customized titrules.js file.

In case of Words documents, the function like_WINWORD works to extract file name:

Code: Select all

function like_WINWORD(s)
{
	var ix = s.indexOf(" - ");
	ix = ix < 0 ? 0 : ix + 3;
	s = s.substr(ix);
	return cutOffExtension(s);
}
and the problem is that it calls cutOffExtension(s). You can edit this file and replease this line with just return s; so this function will looks like:

Code: Select all

function like_WINWORD(s)
{
	var ix = s.indexOf(" - ");
	ix = ix < 0 ? 0 : ix + 3;
	s = s.substr(ix);
	return s;
}
and that should solve the problem.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Sorry to say Ivan, but I wonder why you do not get the same results as I do ?
Did you test this out with an identical file name as mine, or did you put less nodes in the name ?

Like you proposed to do, I did change the titrules.js (it is the first time I hear about this file).
Now, I get the following results:
- One.Two.Three.Four.Five.Six.docx.pdf.pdf
- One.Two.Three.Four.Five.Six.docx.pdf

They are not correct either.

N.B.: I am just doing these tests to help you at Tracker Support to remove possible 'bugs'.
Even though it is not important to me that this gets resolved, but maybe it is for other users.

Best regards.
Seidenweber
User

Post by Seidenweber »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: The ticket was set to resolved, but I've just reopened it. Can you please confirm which problem exactly is still prenset?
The double .pdf.pdf at the end or the druncation of the .Six from the resultinf PDF file name when you use only %[DocName] and not %[DocName].pdf ?
hey Stefan,

The double .pdf.pdf at the end is still present and happens always if %[DocName].pdf is used.

If just %[DocName] is used, the truncation only happens under certain conditions...

'Revision 1.2 2015.10.05.txt' >> 'Revision 1.2 2015.10.05.pdf' ... works as intended

BUT

e.g. with the filename 'one.two.three.four.five.six.txt' >> 'one.two.three.four.five.pdf' the '.six' is still truncated :shock:
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for confirming this Seidenweber,

We have reopened the ticket and our devs will check this once again.

Regards,
Stefan
Seidenweber
User

Post by Seidenweber »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:We have reopened the ticket and our devs will check this once again.
I've figured out, that the truncation only seems to happen, if the last part of the file name has a length of 3 chars

Some.Testing.1.txt >> Some.Testing.1.pdf ... OK
Some.Testing.12.txt >> Some.Testing.12.pdf ... OK
Some.Testing.123.txt >> Some.Testing.pdf '.123' is missing
Some.Testing.1234.txt >> Some.Testing.1234.pdf ... OK
Some.Testing.12345.txt >> Some.Testing.12345.pdf ... OK
Some.Testing.123456.txt >> Some.Testing.123456.pdf ... OK

Obi-Wan.Kenobi >> Obi-Wan.pdf ... OK
Obi.Wan.Kenobi >> Obi.pdf '.Wan' is missing
Last edited by Seidenweber on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Seidenweber,

Thanks for the info. - that's interesting and I expect the Dev. Team will want to know that. I've added this to the ticket too.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Will fix it in the next build. Will remove workaround for tree characters extensions and will modify titrules.js file.
That should solve all issues.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.