Printer setting not being retained in browser

This forum is for plugins used in the PDF-XChange Editor only.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

tuckerv77
User

Printer setting not being retained in browser

Post by tuckerv77 »

Hello All,

We have just recently installed PDF XChange 2012 Pro and have noticed that when a PDF is opened in a browser (Chrome 44.0.2403.107 m and IE 11) the settings for the printer are not being retained when sending the print job. All computers are Win 7 and the printer make and models vary. In particular our main concern at this time is that we use secure printing in which the user enters a code at the printer in order to retrieve the print job. The print jobs are now printing without the user having to retrieve the print job. This is a confidentiality concern as customers are walking through the same area production area.

Any assistance you can provide would be much appreciated!

Kindly,

Tucker
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Printer setting not being retained in browser

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Tucker,

Thanks for the email. How are you securing the print job? Is the same thing happening when you print a web page?

Sorry if we are being dense. This is not a situation we have previously come across.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
tuckerv77
User

Post by tuckerv77 »

I watched what the user was doing and the PDF is opening fine in the browser. When they go to print it is defaulting to the PDF XChange printer 2012. The user must then change the printer and set it to do secure printing (it does however keep their security code that is set within the printer settings). I verified that the default printer in Devices and Printers is set to our network printer and they have the security settings setup.

Hope that clarifies it! :?

Tucker
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Tucker,

Thanks for the post - does the same thing happen when the user tries to print any other webpage (not a PDF in browser)? When I tried here, Chrome and IE did the same thing while viewing this forum, so it seems that they maybe defaulting to the last used printer.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
tuckerv77
User

Post by tuckerv77 »

This is what my coworker found out:

So I did some more troubleshooting yesterday about the locked print thing, and here’s what I came up with. All testing was done on the same computer.

Adobe reader DC – printing was locked (good)
PDF Xchange editor – printing was locked
PDF Xchange internet explorer plugin – printing was unlocked
-uninstalled PDF Xchange-
Adobe reader DC internet explorer plugin – printing was locked
-reinstalled PDF Xchange-
PDF Xchange internet explorer plugin – printing was unlocked

So it appears the PDF Xchange internet explorer plugin is what’s not grabbing the printing preferences. PDF Xchange editor is perfectly fine, it’s just the internet explorer plugin.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello tuckerv77,

I believe we are following the behaviour browsers usually have when printing - not only when there's a PDF file inside. I will see to bring this to the attention of the interface designers on our next meeting and see if it is of interest to us to change this behaviour to the way Adobe behaves.

Regards,
Stefan
tuckerv77
User

Post by tuckerv77 »

Stefan, I would tend to disagree as our troubleshooting steps above seem to show otherwise. If you could bring that to the designers attention I would greatly appreciate it.

Kindly,

Tucker
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Tucker,

Yes - certainly - will do.

Regards,
Stefan
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

I've spoken with the Dev. Team and they have encountered a similar issue that they believe that they may have fixed, for the up coming build (314).

Tucker - could you please test with 314 when it is released, in the next month or so, and see if it is fixed then?

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
tuckerv77
User

Post by tuckerv77 »

Thanks for the update Will. Glad to know I'm not loosing my mind. I will definitely test on the new version when available.

Kindly,

Tucker
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)