Which Tracker product/s do I need

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bawldiggle
User

Which Tracker product/s do I need

Post by bawldiggle »

About 2 years ago I trialed Viewer ... for the past 12 months I have been trialing free Editor (in place of Viewer)

We would like to buy PDF-XChange product/s but are not completely sure of what products we need
- the further I search the Tracker web-site the more there is to chose from

We are consulting engineers (6 of us)
- (we are all >55 so not exactly IT geeks)
- have been using a web-based conversion service to PDF (leaves a lot to be desired and is not secure)
- major (govt) clients are now pressing for contract documentation on PDF (not word processing programs)

I have looked at and tried so many PDF programs but so many are substandard or bundled with "adware"
- 12 months with Editor (and this forum) has given me enough confidence to go with PDF-XChange

We want to ...
  • create PDF files from MS-Word and Libre-Office - (or build PDFs)
    including images
  • create bookmarks in new PDF files
  • add comments to existing PDF files
  • print virtual PDFs of emails (using a fork of mozilla Thunderbird -- PostBox)
  • print virtual PDFs of web-pages (in Palemoon)
    I read somewhere in this forum that is only possible through Internet Explorer (?)
  • I also write addins for AutoCad and Excel -- MS Apps are not good enough for User Manuals
Thank you
Russell
Free PDF-XChange Editor since 12-Aug-2018
Free PDF-XChange Viewer for too long
... cautiously testing Editor
• Win-7 PRO 64bit | Win-7 Home 64-bit | Win-7 Home 32-bit ... fiddling with Linux Mint too
• ClassicShell GUI
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Which Tracker product/s do I need

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello Russel,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

To create PDF files from MS-Word and Libre-Office you need the PDF-XChange Standard printing driver.
To edit them you need full version of the PDF-XChange Editor
I would recommend buying the PDF-XChange Pro package - it includes both (plus PDF-Tools) and the price is better.
I would also recommend buying 2 packages with 3user licences for best value.
Please follow the link below to find more information on the PDF-XChange Pro package:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... change-pro

Kind Regards,
Radi Ivanov
bawldiggle
User

Post by bawldiggle »

Would PDF-XChange Pro package allow me to do the following without any additional ($) programs ...
  1. Append an image or text to an existing PDF
  2. Edit an existing PDFs text contents
  3. remove the PDF-XChange "stamp" from PDFs commented with free PDF-XChange Editor/Viewer
  4. create a PDF from scratch (without MS apps)
  5. OCR images of text as raw unformatted text
    I have tried your OCR in free (program I have forgotten the name of) but it replicated font formatting
I want to keep one PDF file and add scans/images or my typed text as I receive correspondence from clients/suppliers over time.
- storing paper records has become a nightmare
- PDF-XChange "comments" (hightlights, textboxes, lines) are just brilliant
- and the ability to add my own bookmarks can really make large complicated files and their bookmarks a lot simpler
- PDF-XChange Editor (and Viewer) GUI are sensible for desktop monitors

PDF-XChange Viewer toolbar is still the most appropriate on laptops so I hope I can run PDF-XChange Pro package with free Viewer

I do not have any Microsoft Office apps on my principal laptop (for email and browsing)
- we are looking at dumping MS Windows and moving to Linux Mint ... already Linux + an alternative AutoCad on one test rig.
- subscription type delivery is good for MS wallet but not for mine
- of our 8 machines only 2 laptops have internet access -- for security and contractual reasons.

We are presently running Windows7 with "Classic Shell" UI
- Win8 and Win8.1 we have trialled -- for no great gain ... staying with Win7 for many years to come.

Luddites ? Yes :mrgreen:
Free PDF-XChange Editor since 12-Aug-2018
Free PDF-XChange Viewer for too long
... cautiously testing Editor
• Win-7 PRO 64bit | Win-7 Home 64-bit | Win-7 Home 32-bit ... fiddling with Linux Mint too
• ClassicShell GUI
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello bawldiggle,

Yes you can do all of the above with our Pro package.
As for "plain text OCR" - if you paste in e.g. notepad all text formatting should disappear, and you can then move text from notepad to any other text format.

Regards,
Stefan