does the current version of pdf tools work better?

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools Version 4

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

James.Wheeler
User

does the current version of pdf tools work better?

Post by James.Wheeler » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:56 am

Dear Sir/Madam

I am assessing pdf products having used an older version of pdf tools 4 for about 2 years (4.0, 213.1). My old (licensed) version fails spectacularly on the types of files I use that include a lot of Unicode characters.

I don't want to install the latest version as I might lose my old-style licence key for the full version that I use for other things.

Is there someone who could convert a sample two page 98kB pdf to word/rtf/txt format for me, to test the performance of the latest version?
Marba songs p.1+2.pdf
Original pdf for conversion
(97.55 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
FYI the conversion by 4.0 is also attached.

Hopefully thanking you in advance.

Regards,
James

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: does the current version of pdf tools work better?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:28 pm

Hello James,

Attached is the result from using a later build.
Please note that the problem is that there are actually several layers of text in this file.
When you zoom in to e.g. 1200% - you can notice a light gray "shadow" beneath the letters - this is actually another copy of the same text. So when exported to .rtf file - all the text layers are exported.

Regards,
Stefan
Attachments
test123.zip
(17.07 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

James.Wheeler
User

Post by James.Wheeler » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:56 pm

Thank you Stefan. Much appreciated.

Your results are similar to the earlier version.

I understand the shadow creates some duplicate text (the shadow was originally text shadow character formatting in MS-Word).

However I am unclear as to why most of the text is not processed by xchange tools.

FYI I have attached Nitro's conversion of the same document. It looks very good apart from a few incorrect Unicode characters
Marba songs p.1+2 created by Nitro.zip
Nitro conversion
(26.07 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Regards,
James

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:38 am

Hi James,

The conversion from PDF is not one of our strong features currently, and such layouts with columns are not converted properly as you've noticed. Our main focus is on the opposite process - creating small PDF files conforming to the specification.

We might look into improving this feature in the future, but I can't make any promises at this moment.

Regards,
Stefan