Highlighting overlap increases intensity

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

hsrstud
User

Highlighting overlap increases intensity

Post by hsrstud »

I ran into this issue previously when using an earlier version of Viewer. Sometimes I highlight a portion of a paragraph and then decide I want to highlight more of the paragraph. Instead of deleting the existing highlighting, to save time, I just highlight the remainder of the text, but at the point where the two highlighted sections join and slightly overlap, the intensity of the highlighting increases. In other words, if I'm using a lighter shade of yellow to highlight, at the point where the two highlighted sections meet, the shade of yellow is brighter. Would you please consider modifying Editor, so that it treates overlapped highlighting the same as in the current version of Viewer, in which overlaps do not increase the intensity of the highlighting? Thanks!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Highlighting overlap increases intensity

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello hsrstud,

Can you please go to Help -> About in the Editor and make sure it shows build 312.1 there?
With that latest build I am unable to reproduce the issue. The overlapped area is just as saturated as the rest of both highlights.

Also - is the background of your page white or another colour? And by "using a lighter shaede of yellow" - are you actually changing the colour to a lighter yellow or increasing the transparency of the highlight object?

Regards,
Stefan
hsrstud
User

Post by hsrstud »

I'm using build 312.1. The background of the page is white (it happens on all pdfs with white backgrounds that I have tried thus far). I am changing the color to a lighter shade of yellow, not modifying the transparency. I've attached a pdf that shows the highlighting issue, in case this might help. I'm not sure whether this will show on your machine if you have not seen the issue thus far on your machine. I would also send a screen shot, but the file attachment feature does not appear to allow uploads of images. The overalp occurs between the words "Figures" and "only." in the attached.
Attachments
Highlighting issue.pdf
(39.75 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello hsrstud,

Thank you for posting that. After some further testing here, I was able to reproduce the issue. It seems that most colours are effected by this. I have created an internal development ticket to help track the status of this issue. Please reference RT#2940 when requesting an update to this ticket.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to resolve this.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
hsrstud
User

Post by hsrstud »

Sounds good. I'm glad you were able to reproduce the effect.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

We will post back here when we have some news regarding this :)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

It is not a bug.
Highlight annotation by default uses blend mode "Multiply" for rendering.
It means that during rendering each pixel does not replace existing one (as in blend mode "Normal"), but instead it is multiplied with existing one before replace it.

So, when you place multiply highlights on top of each other, in result you will have combination of their colors.
If that is not you want, you can try change blend mode for these annotations (see Properties toolbar or Properties panel).

HTH
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.