Stylus and context menu in PDF-XChange Editor

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

vonderose
User

Stylus and context menu in PDF-XChange Editor

Post by vonderose »

A few days back I tested the new version 5.5 of the PDF-XChange Editor on my Lenovo Helix tablet, and I was at first pleasantly surprised.

1) I loved the new comprehensive context menu with functions like “Add Bookmark” and, most important of all, “Add Sticky Note”.
2) However, I was rather disappointed at the fact that I still couldn’t trigger the context menu with my stylus. My thumb seems to be acceptable, but not my pen.

This is quite unfortunate, as I frequently read with my stylus, underlining and highlighting along the way and, from time to time, writing a small note.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Stylus and context menu in PDF-XChange Editor

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello vonderose,

Thanks for the post. In windows 8, you should be able to do access the context menu using your stylus or finger. I use a windows 8 notebook with a touchscreen and am able to use my fingers to access the context menus anywhere in windows. Unfortunately I have no stylus to test with. As far as I am aware, "right click" is handled by windows rather than any particular program. Can you please confirm that you can access the context menu in other situations using your stylus (such as file explorer)?

I recommend taking a look at the following article:
http://www.andyrathbone.com/2012/03/12/ ... en-tablet/
To right-click an item on a Windows 7 or Windows 8 tablet, follow these two simple steps:

1-Touch the item with your finger or stylus, and keep the finger or stylus pressed down gently. In a moment, a square or circle will appear, shown in the top, left figure.
2-Lift your finger or stylus, and the right-click menu appears, listing all the things you can do with that item.
I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
vonderose
User

Post by vonderose »

Thanks for the quick reply. However, I have to say that I am a bit offended by its content, and especially by the link to the dummy site.

I can confirm that the Editor is the only software causing problems of the kind described in my earlier post. No problems in Office 2013, no problems in Windows Explorer, no problems in Firefox, no problems in Adobe Acrobat and no problems in any other program I use (and, believe me, there are a lot). It is just PDF-XChange Editor that is prone to this error, and that since its inception.

I for my part recommend testing the problem with hardware that involves a stylus. And, furthermore, I ask you to revert to a thread that I opened back in June 2013. Please read diligently the second remark of my first post.

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... hp?t=20436
“2) The context menu. I can trigger it with my fingertips (quite smoothly, I might say), but not with the stylus. Furthermore, it seems to me that the context menu needs some beefing up (search providers, perhaps even on offline dictionary; the delete function; add comments). At present, there are only a few functions available, too few, I think.”
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello vonderose,

My apologies if I offended you. It certainly was not my intention! The link I sent was in no way to suggest that you are in any incapable incapable, nor do I believe you are. It is always difficult to assess the given technical capabilities of any user 'remotely and therefore I just wanted to be sure the basic and most obvious factors were covered.
I can confirm that the Editor is the only software causing problems of the kind described in my earlier post. No problems in Office 2013, no problems in Windows Explorer, no problems in Firefox, no problems in Adobe Acrobat and no problems in any other program I use (and, believe me, there are a lot). It is just PDF-XChange Editor that is prone to this error, and that since its inception.
Thank you very much for confirming that. We will do some further troubleshooting here.

I certainly hope we will have this resolved soon!
Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
vonderose
User

Post by vonderose »

Thanks for the reply and your apologies (that were really not necessary).

On another issue that really has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, but is not that important either as to warrant a new thread. The thing is that I cannot update PDF XChange Viewer with “Fiddler” running in the background. Is there any way to tell “Fiddler” to let it go.
http://www.telerik.com/fiddler

Here’s the error message of “TrackerUpdate”:
“Connecting to server www.tracker-software.com...
Connected successfully.
Getting file: /PDFXVE5.x64.msi...
Error requesting file '/PDFXVE5.x64.msi'
All Updates Downloading Finished.

Components Installing Started.
All Components installing Finished.”
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello vonderose,

My apologies, We are not familiar with Fiddler. Might I suggest contacting their support?

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
vonderose
User

Post by vonderose »

May I enquire once more on the subject of this thread: the problem with using a stylus to trigger the context menu within the Editor? Have you made any progress on this since my initial posting? Or more to the point, could you identify the problem?

1) Is it just the particular configuration on my personal PC?
2) Has it to do with the computer model I use, the Lenovo Helix in its edition from 2013?
3) Or have you been able to reproduce the problem with other computers and other touchscreens as well?

And, just in case 3) is correct, are you already working on solving the problem?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello vonderose,

Thank you for the post. I have spoken more to the development team about this issue, and they have a few ideas. I have sent you an email requesting a remote session with the dev team. I have sent you the email because some sensitive information is required from us, and from you for this particular remote session.

Thank you for your patience.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
vonderose
User

Post by vonderose »

1) As for the issue with the stylus: thanks for the support!

2) Just a quick follow-up to the question I asked about PDF-XChange Editor updates with “Fiddler” installed.
Evidently, for that to work you need to configure proxy settings. As I couldn’t find any in the main program, I eventually opened the little tray icon in windows taskbar called “Tracker Update”. There, a settings menu gives you everything you need to configure a proxy … and thus allow Fiddler to do its web debugging.
In case the tray icon is not where it is supposed to be, just open the “Help” menu in the Editor and check if there is any update. This will trigger the icon and its little menu.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello vonderose,

Thanks for the follow up and sharing your observations!
Let us know if we can assist further.

Regards,
Stefan