Open handles to pdf files in windows explorer

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

christian kuhlmann
User

Open handles to pdf files in windows explorer

Post by christian kuhlmann »

Since the update to version 5.5 (Build 312) I have a strange issue with windows explorer not closing handles to pdf files I have opened or selected. This prevents any operation on these files (e.g. saving in xChange editor).
I noticed that windows explorer will no longer show previews of pdf files so I'm guessing that this might be related. I'm not sure whether pdf XChange Editor generates these previews (it is my default PDF viewer).
Maybe you could tell me where to look for trouble (I can work with the registry, if that's necessary). My system is Win 7 x64.
Thanks in advance.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Open handles to pdf files in windows explorer

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

yes - I am afraid there is an issue in the latest release with the Preview handler - a fix will be uploaded later today correcting this, so you will either need to re-install and deselect the option to include the shell extensions - or await the new build later today - apologies for the inconvenience.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
christian kuhlmann
User

Hi,
thanks for this very fast reply. I will try the new version once it's available. In the meantime (and for anyone else experiencing this issue) I found that the "Open" dialog of XChange Viewer doesn't show this problem (maybe because there's no preview). However, opening a file with windows explorer (double click, context menu or drag+drop) will cause open handles. Uninstalling shell extensions worked for me.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Christian -appreciated.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
christian kuhlmann
User

I've tested 312.1 and the issue with the open handles is resolved.
However, the pdf preview still has a minor problem with not showing any further previews after a while. I've not been able to figure out the exact pattern. Opening a new explorer window re-enables the preview function until the issue appears again. The issue does not appear for folders without pdf files.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks - Investigating ...

Best regards
Tracker Support
zimco gauge&valves
User

Post by zimco gauge&valves »

I'm also having the same issue with the prevhost no longer displaying a preview in windows explorer.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Please advise specifically if you are using the updated build 312.1 (note: 312.0 had the problems) as no users since the new build last night have reported issues...

Best regards
Tracker Support
zimco gauge&valves
User

Hey John,

My apologies! I see that it is the 312.0 build, I'll attempt to upgrade and report if the issues persist or go away.

Thanks,

Richard
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Excellent - thanks Richard :)

Best regards
Tracker Support
zimco gauge&valves
User

I've been running version 312.1 for 4 hours now without any issues. The preview problem has cleared up completely and things are back to working as good as ever. Thanks John and Thanks Tracker for building excellent software!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Awesome! Glad that's done the job :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.