Worst Release Ever (for me, at least)

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

prius04
User

Worst Release Ever (for me, at least)

Post by prius04 »

Terrible! I installed Build 312 (I have PDF-XChange PRO) and the Editor now seems to essentially crash Windows Explorer. I'm running Windows 8.1, FWIW.

Every time I open a PDF with the Editor, I get a green bar scrolling across Explorer as if it's scanning for God knows what (see attached 17.pdf). The same thing happened when I tried to delete a PDF from within Explorer (I couldn't even drag the file to the Recycle Bin).

To make matters worse, I tried opening a PDF and got the message that appears in the attachment 19.pdf followed by the message that appears in the attachment 18.pdf.

So, I went from Build 311 which was great and presented zero issues to Build 312 which has totally borked Windows Explorer. I would appreciate it if someone would investigate this matter since I'm pretty sure I can't be the only one experiencing issues with this new build.

Thanks!
Attachments
19.pdf
(18.48 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
18.pdf
(24.93 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
17.pdf
(19.64 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
lev
User

Re: Worst Release Ever (for me, at least)

Post by lev »

I second the issues described above. Did not realize that they were related to the new version. Hopefully I still have 311 lying around.
Top Logic Ltd
User

Post by Top Logic Ltd »

Experiencing exactly the same problems with Win Explorer locking up when attempting to move or delete a file that has been used by XChange Editor. it almost seems that Editor is locking files it has recently used.
This problem started after installing the Version 5.5 (Build 312) update on my Win7 Pro 64bit SP1 system.
Update urgently needed to solve this problem.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

After rebooting, the problem went away, but it has now returned.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

After reinstalling, without the Shell Extension. there is no issue.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
NjopOlsson
User

Post by NjopOlsson »

I too have encountered the same issues as previous posters in this thread, starting directly after the installation of the latest build. In addition I have been unable to delete, rename or move PDF files after installing build 312 using Windows Explorer. For example, when deleting files I am presented with a never ending progress bar that is stuck at "Calculating".

I am running Windows 7 SP1 with all the latest updates applied.

Using NirSofts ShellExView (http://www.nirsoft.net) I disabled all the PDF-XChange Shell Extensions installed by the latest build an restarted Windows Explorer. All the problems went away. Re-enabling the shell extensions and restarting Explorer immediately reintroduced all the problems.
marco conti
User

Post by marco conti »

Same identical problem even for me. All right till 311. Now I will try disabling Shell Extensions.

UPDATE
Installed without ShellEx, all right again!!! Yeah!!!
Please find and fix problem with Shell Extension.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello All,

Thanks for your reports! We are looking at this with my colleagues from the dev team already!

Regards,
Stefan
Woinic
User

Post by Woinic »

Hello,
I had the same issue with Vista 64.
I choose to reinstall the 311 release.

Regards,
Gerard,
France
goldtop
User

Post by goldtop »

Hi all,

having exactly the same problem as everyone else is experiencing, using 64 bit pro version. Not had chance to try the 311 release again yet.

Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with the replace pages function? Say you want to replace pages 1-5 with a document that is only 2 pages long, pages 1 & 2 will be replaced but pages 3,4 & 5 don't get deleted.

Thanks
Hayden
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

@Bhikkhu: Thanks for figuring out this issue involves Shell Extensions.

@NjopOlsson: Thank you for suggesting Nirsoft's ShellExView. I downloaded the s/w and used it to disable the shell extensions - worked perfectly!

Hopefully, the team will have this ironed out soon.
blocka construction inc
User

Post by blocka construction inc »

Me and my employees that use this software are all encountering the same issue this thread describes.

This latest update essentially crashes Windows Explorer whenever we try to do anything with a PDF. We are all on Windows 7 (64 bit).

Disabling Shell Extensions from installing resolves the issue.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

I have reproduced the issue here and it does appear to be an issue with the Shell Extensions.

We'll look into this further and will do what we can to fix this, ASAP.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Thank you, Will and Stefan. With you guys on the case, I am confident the issue will be resolved quickly. :D
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi prius04,

The Dev. Team have been made aware and this is being treated as a very high priority issue, so we'll do everything that we can to resolve this as quickly as possible!

We really appreciate the understanding - the confidence in us is inspiring :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
mohsinj677
User

Post by mohsinj677 »

Windows 7 SP1 x64 here and I've noticed similar behavior with latest version(Explorer stuff with green bar on address field :!: )

also noticed that some times files aren't getting sent to recycle bin, can't copy some times files to dropbox.... not sure if related with this release (happens since update to .312) :roll:
Translator for PDF-XChange Editor, FreeARC and Avira

Insys (Clevo Hw) W2251ELQU
CPU: Intel Celeron B840 @1.90GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics (2nd Gen)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
HDD: 320GB for OS + 500GB on Caddy
SubMariner
User

Post by SubMariner »

Yes, I am another (paying) User who is experiencing this issue.

It also seems to be a known issue with the latest version of Adobe Reader, so I uninstalled that program. However, the problem has "returned" and is obviously as a result of the latest Xchange Editor.

So, based on one of the posts in this thread I installed ShellExView & disabled all the shell extensions for Tracker. Which has solved the problem.

Now awaiting a fix from Tracker...
extragroup gmbh
User

Post by extragroup gmbh »

Same problem with Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 Bit.
I'm also unable to delete, rename or move PDF files after installing build 312 using Windows Explorer.
Our ERP-System uses PDFX-Change Printer as Default PDF-Printer. With version 311 it freezes when printing...
It's a mess!
Please fix soon.

=> The problem only exist with activated "PDF-XChange PDF Property Handler". All other Shell extensions work fine.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

As stated before, this is a known issue and we are looking into it. A new build will be released as soon as we have fixed the problem.

Please note that it seems to be, that all users will likely experience this issue. The current workaround is as follows

1) Restart either your PC or Explorer, then uninstall the Editor from the Control Panel.

2) Restart again, then re-install either the Editor or PDF-XChange from these links (choose the appropriate installer for your license):

PDF-XChange PRO
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFX5.zip

PDF-XChange Editor
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE5.zip

3) During installation, please select "Custom Installation" and deselect the option to install the Shell Extensions (our Preview Handler).

4) Restart one last time and this should no longer happen.

As mentioned above, an emergency build (build 313) will be released as soon as a fix for this issue is found.

We really appreciate the patience and understanding of our users here!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
mohsinj677
User

Post by mohsinj677 »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi guys,

As stated before, this is a known issue and we are looking into it. A new build will be released as soon as we have fixed the problem.

Please note that it seems to be, that all users will likely experience this issue. The current workaround is as follows

1) Restart either your PC or Explorer, then uninstall the Editor from the Control Panel.

2) Restart again, then re-install either the Editor or PDF-XChange from these links (choose the appropriate installer for your license):

PDF-XChange PRO
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFX5.zip

PDF-XChange Editor

3) During installation, please select "Custom Installation" and deselect the option to install the Shell Extensions (our Preview Handler).

4) Restart one last time and this should no longer happen.

As mentioned above, an emergency build (build 313) will be released as soon as a fix for this issue is found.

We really appreciate the patience and understanding of our users here!
thank's for the tip Will!

i'll follow this instrutions and see if the issues remain :)
Translator for PDF-XChange Editor, FreeARC and Avira

Insys (Clevo Hw) W2251ELQU
CPU: Intel Celeron B840 @1.90GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics (2nd Gen)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
HDD: 320GB for OS + 500GB on Caddy
shinyplastic
User

Post by shinyplastic »

Ditto for me.

Couldn't rename or delete any PDF files anywhere on my machine. Was going mad with chkdsk, $recycle etc. before I discovered it was only PDF's and hence with PDF-XChange or PDFCreator.

Another workaround is to uninstall 312 and reinstall 311 - works perfectly after that!
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the tip, shinyplastic!

The issue itself is with the shell extensions (XCShInfo.dll)

In the command line, navigate to the DLL's containing folder (C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions) and run the following command:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions> regsvr32 /u XCShInfo.dll
Doing this will de-register the problem DLL. Replacing build 312's shell extension DLL with build 311's has resolved the issue for me, and has allowed me to retain the ability to preview PDF in file explorer.

To register a new DLL (e.g build 311's shell extensions), you must use the above command less the "/u".

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions> regsvr32 XCShInfo.dll

PS: An emergency build release should be available in the next day or so that will resolve this issue.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have cause our users.
I hope this helps!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
marco conti
User

Post by marco conti »

Could you post us a 311's build version of the XCShInfo.dll to download?

Now that I have 312's build installed if it is possibile I don't want to reinstall old version only to copy a DLL file and reinstall new version after.

Thanks.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi marco conti and everybody else.

There is no longer a need to post the 311 dll or any other work around as the official fix has been released as a new build (312.1). You can now download the Editor here:

**Edit: Please note that you will need to reboot windows for the fix to take effect**

Thank you all for your patience in these past days!

:D
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
prius
User

Post by prius »

Okay, now that's better! Thanks, folks!

One question: Was it designed behavior to have to install the Editor separately? I have the PRO version and installed that first. Typically, the PRO version contains the whole package, but after I installed and rebooted, only PDF-Tools got updated to 312.1 while the Editor didn't change. The only way I got to 312.1 on the Editor was to download and install it separately. :?

Regardless, it works now. Thanks again! :D
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

No this is not correct and the PRO installer as modified slightly late last night to correct this and should now also install the Editor too ...
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
prius
User

Post by prius »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi,

No this is not correct and the PRO installer as modified slightly late last night to correct this and should now also install the Editor too ...
Hi John,

Got it. Just to confirm, there's nothing else I need to do then, correct? In other words, no need to run the modified PRO installer if I already ran the pre-modified installer, which updated everything but the Editor to the new build, and then ran the Editor installer, which updated the Editor to the new build.

Thanks!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

You should indeed be good to go sir :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
prius
User

Post by prius »

Thank you kindly, John. You guys do an outstanding job! :D
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest