Defining targets for internal hyperlinks

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

Defining targets for internal hyperlinks

Post by David.P »

Hi forum & Tracker team,

I just came across a very important feature (actually indispensable for me :| ) regarding the creation of hyperlinks inside the document.

I do this all the time (in Ad*be Acr*bat) when working with long (legal) PDF documents -- meaning that almost every time I come across a text reference on (say) page 275 to a drawing that is (for example) on page 154, I quickly would create a link from that text reference to this drawing such that I can look up the drawing easily every time when I re-read the same text reference again.

So far so good. However, for defining the target of a link (in PDF-XChange Viewer), I am convinced that it would be absolutely indispensable to have ALL possibilities of moving around and finding your way in the entire document, including searching for text, clicking on thumbnails, bookmarks or existing hyperlinks, changing zoom levels, etc. pp. and so on (as it is the case with the competitor mentioned :roll: ). In other words, as good as PDF-XChange Viewer's "link target editor" below is for EDITING a link target in detail:

... it is still quite limited in terms of actually finding your way around in the document in the first place. For example, you can neither see nor click on thumbnails, bookmarks or hyperlinks, you can't search for text etc., as long as you are within the target editor dialog -- which however is the only way of defining the link's target of course, at present. This means that it can take a long time to actually find the page in the document where the new link should point to, using the link target editor dialog. Link creation however takes only seconds with Acr*bat :| because it is done in the document itself, not inside a dialog:

(the dialog says:
Select the links' target view using the document scroll bars, mouse and zoom tools. Then click on "specify link" to create the link target.
)

Thus, for the creation of a hyperlink's target, it would be very important in my view (actually the absence of this feature still keeps/forces me away from doing "production work" with PDF-XChange Viewer) -- to be able to DEFINE the link's target by simply moving around DIRECTLY in the document's window (using its full feature set like search/find, thumbnails, bookmarks, hyperlinks, highlighters, jump to last/next view etc.) -- instead of being forced to find the target page using the link target editor dialog.

Hopefully the above clarifies what I still really miss regarding the creation of hyperlinks... If not, I will be happy to go into any detail of this request any time.

Keep up the fantastic work,

Cheers David.P
Last edited by David.P on Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 11 times in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Re: Defining targets for internal hyperlinks

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, David.

We will make task for your suggestion. Thanks and wait for new version V3.

Best
regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks David,

As Vasyl confirmed we will schedule this for ver3, and I just made a ticket in our internal system so that this case can be tracked and assigned to the correct developer:
#995: Viewer V3: Defining targets for internal hyperlinks

Best,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

You guys are brilliant, thanks for the incredibly fast action.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

David.P
User

Post by David.P »

David.P wrote:Post by David.P on Fri Apr 15, 2011
You guys are brilliant, thanks for the incredibly fast action.
:( :?:

I'm somewhat disappointed to see that there is still no (easy and fast) way to create internal document hyperlinks in the Viewer, as well as in the Editor.

Please note that [the] one truly usable, fast and incredibly versatile¹ internal link creation tool is tiny and looks like this:
(being nothing else than the entire PDF viewer ITSELF, only with a button added that says "here, this is exactly where I want my link target")

...not enormous but clumsy and cumbersome² like this:
(being a very rudimentary "second order PDF viewer" (a PDF viewer inside a dialog box of a PDF viewer) :(

This is probably THE ONE most missing feature that still keeps me from switching to PDF Exchange for productive PDF redactional work :(

Best regards
David.P

--
¹) ...because in order to specify the link target, you simply move around in the entire document using ALL move/browse/jump tools of the entire program (scrollbars, mouse, zoom tools, existing links, search/find, bookmarks, targets, thumbnails, jump to last/next view buttons etc.). It is even possible to highlight important text on the link's TARGET page, while at the same time creating the link target!

²) ...because it is difficult if not impossible to find one's exact link target with the VERY limited set of browse/move tools of this dialog box.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Guys,

I really really need this feature:
David.P wrote: Replace the link target dialog by the Editor window itself:
Honestly, without the ability to create links fast and easy on selected text, I will never be able to completely switch to PDF-XChange Editor from Ad*be :(

I'd be very happy to know whether this is actually considered, or even being worked on already.

Best Regards
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi David,

The request is in place and is still being evaluated. Our current priority is migrating the remaining features of the Viewer, over to the Editor (as well as the usual bug fixes), so it may be a little while before this is looked at by the Dev. Team.

Do note that even then, we cannot guarantee implementation, only consideration.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, David.
This feature will be implemented in build 312.
PS: And also we've even managed to simplify it and made it faster in usage :wink:
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Will and Sasha,

this almost sounds too good to be true!

Are you really going to remove the link target dialog, and make it possible to create links directly from a text selection?

This would be amazing.

Best regards
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Yes, David, you will be able to choose between different modes including the old one. :)
Subscribe at:
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

YOU GUYS ROCK
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

:D
Subscribe at:
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Tracker Software have done it again!

Thank you SO MUCH for incorporating this feature in Build 312.

This is amazing. Now I will finally be able to practically completely switch over to PDF-XChange Editor from Acrobat 7 :oops:

Regarding the above options for link destination -- "Ignore Zoom Level": this is clear, it sets the link destination zoom level to "inherit", a very useful feature in order not to annoy one's PDF target audience.

However, I could not discover what "Use Zoom Mode" does. Could you maybe elaborate on this a little?

One more issue that I seem to have found, or maybe I am missing something: I always prefer to use the blue underline style for hyperlinks in my PDF document.

However it seems that I can't assign this custom style as default for further links that I want to create:

Even after selecting a blue underline styled link using the link tool and choosing "Make Current Properties Default", the next link I create is still created in the previous style (which seems to be "invisible" unfortunately).

Is there another way to assign my custom style as Default for all future links that I create?
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

You're welcome :D
I've just tried to use the Link Tool styles and it seemed to work for me.
So what have I done:
1. Selected some text and selected Add Link\Add GoTo Link
2. In the link properties section I've set the next style pattern
Stroke Color: 0,0,255 (Blue)
Border: Underline
Width: 1pt
And it worked properly for me.
HTH.
Subscribe at:
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thanks Sasha, I also can style the link link you described, manually.

However, after making this style default, it does not get applied to the next link(s) that I create.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Ah, I see - we'll look into it.
As for the "Use Zoom Mode" - it will save currently selected zoom style for example "Fit Page" or "Fit Width".
Subscribe at:
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

As for the link style, you can do this another way:
If you select Tools\Link Tools\Link Creation Tool, set your style there and create one link area with it (or just press cancel in action dialog) - it will be used in all of the links created by the Select Text tool.
HTH
Subscribe at:
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thanks Sasha -- that last trick of yours worked perfectly.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

;)