Automatic OCR processing after scanning?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Automatic OCR processing after scanning?

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello OCRNEWB,

Thank you for the post. I have tested this feature here, and it seems to be working properly. Make sure that OCR is activated under "Post processing options"

Could you please go to Help-->About and specify what Version and build you are using?

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello OCRNEWB,

Thanks for getting back to me. Could you please post one of the resulting files before you manually run the OCR? If the document contains sensitive information, you can send it to support@pdf-xchange.com.

Thanks!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
tj8tracker
User

Post by tj8tracker »

Hello,
I have a similar problem with Build 311.0:

When creating a new PDF from Image from files, I check the box for OCR and when converting and compressing (MRC), PDFxChange says "recocnizing".
But afterwards, the text cannot be selected.

It seems a if PDPxChange forgets to add the text layer.

When OCRing manually after conversion, the text layer exists.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello tj8tracker,

Just tested here with a random image that had some text on it.
It worked properly and the OCR layer is inside the generated PDF file and selectable.
Can you please make sure that the OCR checkbox is actually turned on, and send us the original image and resulting PDF file for testing? Make sure to archive them as otherwise the image won't upload.

Regards,
Stefan
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

I've actually managed to reproduce this here, so I've created an internal Development ticket to help track the progress of the issue (RT-2845).

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
bankofnewyork
User

Post by bankofnewyork »

Hello-

I just purchased the software and I am having this same exact problem. I am about to start a large scanning project with hundreds of pages and I need the OCR feature to work directly from the scanner! Please let us know the status of this fix and when you expect to have it solved. I am using Build 311.0 and a Fujitsu fi-5120C scanner.

Help and thank you!

BNY
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Bny,

I continue to be unable to reproduce this here on my machine - so can you please also state the version of windows you are using as this might have effect on the bug as well.

As for the ticket - I see it has been assigned to a developer already and is being worked on, but for the moment there is no further info. As soon as it gets resolved - we will let you know by posting here in the forums.

Regards,
Stefan
tj8tracker
User

Post by tj8tracker »

To be exact, on my computer the problem only exists when creating an PDF from image-files on disk.
Creating PDF from Scanner does the OCR processing when checked.
bankofnewyork
User

Post by bankofnewyork »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello Bny,

I continue to be unable to reproduce this here on my machine - so can you please also state the version of windows you are using as this might have effect on the bug as well.

As for the ticket - I see it has been assigned to a developer already and is being worked on, but for the moment there is no further info. As soon as it gets resolved - we will let you know by posting here in the forums.

Regards,
Stefan

I am using Windows 7 64 bit. The problem exists for me when creating PDFs from the scanner- I check the box for OCR and after scanning, PDFxChange says "recognizing," but afterwards, the text cannot be selected. So I then need to take the separate step of OCRing the document by clicking on the menu command.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi bankofnewyork,

while the team look into this, can you tell me if this is specific to a certain scanner? Do you have access to another scanner to teat? It may be possible that it is related to the way we are communicating with this scanner's driver.

Also - please check your scanner driver manufacturer's web page to see if there are newer drivers available and test with them if available.

Looking forward to hearing your results.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
susanne heron
User

Post by susanne heron »

Sorry for jumping in on this, but I have a Fujitsu iX500 - and some of these Fujitsu units do not have a twain driver. According to the website, there aren't any plans to make one available. I bought PDF XChange before I got the scanner, and now can't use it for direct scan. Is there any chance for a fix on this issue in the software itself?
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

susanne heron wrote:I bought PDF XChange before I got the scanner, and now can't use it for direct scan. Is there any chance for a fix on this issue in the software itself?
In my understanding, no. The Fujitsu iX500 does all the raw scan data processing on its own CPU and therefore is not TWAIN- or ISIS-compatible (where raw scan data is processed on the PC).

However, AFAIK the iX500 comes with Adobe Acrobat, which for the time being is THE benchmark regarding OCR, because it currently is the only software with "ClearScan". This means that the Acrobat OCR engine uses font learning in connection with super resolution-technology to actually create proper vector fonts from the entire scanned text in a document -- meaning ClearScan-OCR'ed documents usually are close to (or even better than!) the paper originals, while at the same time having extremely small file sizes.

Image Image
[above blink comparison animation is NOT made up artificially by Adobe marketing
-- I made it myself from a document of mine pre and after OCR]

So if Adobe Acrobat X (or later) came with your scanner, you will get best OCR results if you use it for OCR -- and only for OCR, because for everything else PDF-XChange Editor is much easier, faster and better.

Best Regards
David.P
Last edited by David.P on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 9 times in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

No argument there David and that is why you are paying for the Adobe product (albeit the price is wrapped up in your scanner bundle) as the OCR we provide is offered to all users - license paying or not - Free - No charge at all.

Ultimately we do intend to offer a premium option for licensed users willing to pay - but for now this free option will suit many user initial needs as I am sure you would agree ..

Cheers
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:for now this free option will suit many user initial needs as I am sure you would agree
Thanks John - of course I agree with that. I am using PDF-XChange Editor's OCR myself at times, especially when Adobe's breaks down, for example when documents for some reason contain like a single letter of hidden text somewhere, making Adobe Acrobat spill the infamous "document contains renderable text, can't OCR" error message -- while PDF-XChange Editor unwaveringly crunches through all pages.

Cheers David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)