Windows Clipboard not functioning in build 311

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Pavman
User

Windows Clipboard not functioning in build 311

Post by Pavman »

I am no longer able to paste images from Windows clipboard into any document. I am running Win 7 64bit, and this issue just started on Friday, possibly after a Java update. I originally thought it was my computer and out of frustration re-formatted my hard drive and spent hours starting from scratch only to discover my issue is only with PDF editor. Anyone having the same issue? Solutions?

I need to clarify my issue. My issue is when I use a screen clipping program that captures a user specified widow to the windows clipboard. I am able to paste this capture into a variety of other programs including wordpad etc. but it will no longer work in PDF Editor.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: Windows Clipboard not functioning in build 311

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

No such problems here.

Please check the Document Properties, Security Tab.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

Thanks, I just triple checked that just in case. No security at all is enabled. This happens both new and existing documents. I am not sure if PDF Editor uses Java and the update may be the problem??? I am able to paste into wordpad just fine....

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:No such problems here.

Please check the Document Properties, Security Tab.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Pavman,

there should be no such restrictions. We don't use java so the state of our Java VM doesn't effect PDF-XChange Editor.

I still suspect this is document specific. To rule that out can you create a new blank PDF in the Editor (File --> New Document --> With blank Pages...), save it then try pasting the same content into that new PDF?

I'm keen to hear what the results of that are.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Pavman,

there should be no such restrictions. We don't use java so the state of our Java VM doesn't effect PDF-XChange Editor.

I still suspect this is document specific. To rule that out can you create a new blank PDF in the Editor (File --> New Document --> With blank Pages...), save it then try pasting the same content into that new PDF?

I'm keen to hear what the results of that are.

regards

Hi Paul, I did try with a new document, it still does not work. I uninstalled and re-installed PDF editor twice before I decided to wipe my machine thinking it was a problem with Windows... Never had a problem until last week. It does paste a box, it is empty though.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Pavman,

OK - we may need to take a look at this remotely on your machine. If you are OK with that please set up TeamViewer Vwersion 7 as per this article, send us the indemnity form and TeamViewer credentials and we'll arrange a time to take a look first hand.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... e-an-issue

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
gptognola
User

Post by gptognola »

Hi,
I am running Win 7 32bit and have exactly the same issue as Pavman.
Was this problem fixed?
Thanks and kindest regards,
Gianpaolo
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi gptognola,

Thanks for the post - as Paul mentioned, we would need a remote session to fix this and, so far, I don't believe that we've been able to do one. Would you be amenable to this? If so, please take a look at this KB article, then email support@pdf-xchange.com with your signed indemnity form, TeamViewer credentials and a time that would work for you:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... e-an-issue

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
gptognola
User

Post by gptognola »

Hi Will,
Thank you for the quick response. I think I have solved the problem.
The remote session is unnecessary.
I use almost exclusively the program Photofiltre 7 when I have to copy an image in pdf documents. Now I had a bit of time to perform some tests. The "culprits" are just me and the program Photofiltre 7. Other programs that I use to edit photos don't exhibit this behavior (Photoshop Elements 12, PhotoPlus X7,PaintShop Pro X7, PixBuilder Studio as well as viewers like XnView or Irfanview).

Thank you, kindest regards and happy new year.
Gianpaolo
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Pavman: What happens when you trying to paste an image into PDF document? The "Paste" command is disabled, or it adds a stamp annotation but it looks like completely transparent, or nothing happens at all?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:Pavman: What happens when you trying to paste an image into PDF document? The "Paste" command is disabled, or it adds a stamp annotation but it looks like completely transparent, or nothing happens at all?
Hi Ivan, sorry for the delayed response. The paste option is enabled and I will just get a blank white box with no image. The resulting document, although blank will create a file with a few hundred kb in size so something is there, it is just not visible. I have sent samples in.

This issue is only happening while I am using a external clipping application, the built in windows snipping tool does work, I just do not like it as it is not as usable for me.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that Pavman,

do you see the same issue when pasting from this other application to MS Paint?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Thanks for that Pavman,

do you see the same issue when pasting from this other application to MS Paint?

No, I am able to paste from the clipping application (Ashampoo Snap) into every other application I have tried including word, excel, paint and even gmail.

It only comes out blank in PDF Editor - it used to work fine in before the last PDF editor update.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Pavman,

Thanks for the info. - this is something that I've seen before, with another screen-shot program. Are these files of a BMP format, by any chance?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Pavman,

Thanks for the info. - this is something that I've seen before, with another screen-shot program. Are these files of a BMP format, by any chance?

Cheers,

I really don't know, I looked on their product website and I cannot find out what format it puts into the clipboard. When I save it in that program I ususlly do so as a pdf or jpg. Any quick hints on how I may find out? When I paste it into "MS Paint" and hit save it want's to save as a png but I think that is just paints default?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Pavman,

That's correct - that's just paint's default format that it wants to save it to. Not to worry, I'll download and try the app myself and should be able to see the format.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

That's correct - that's just paint's default format that it wants to save it to. Not to worry, I'll download and try the app myself and should be able to see the format.

Cheers,

Thank you so much Will, I anm using the latest snap version 7, I know they have a 30 day trial. I have been waiting for a fix since the November update, hopefully, you can find the issue.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Pavman,

Not a problem :)

I've downloaded and tried Ashampoo Snap and have reproduced the issue. Also, as I suspected, the images are copied to clipboard in BMP format, so this is a known issue. I'll see what I can do to get this fixed for the next build. Do please be aware, though, that I cannot guarantee it, as the next build is primarily to implement the missing Viewer feature, in the Editor. We're obviously fixing bugs, but I'm given to understand that's it is only those of a high priority or a quick-fix.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

Not a problem :)

I've downloaded and tried Ashampoo Snap and have reproduced the issue. Also, as I suspected, the images are copied to clipboard in BMP format, so this is a known issue. I'll see what I can do to get this fixed for the next build. Do please be aware, though, that I cannot guarantee it, as the next build is primarily to implement the missing Viewer feature, in the Editor. We're obviously fixing bugs, but I'm given to understand that's it is only those of a high priority or a quick-fix.

Cheers,

Great! I hope the developers are able to fix this in the near future. As I said earlier, it used to work in PDF Editor before the October/November update so hopefully whatever was changed can be a quick fix. Thank you for identifing the issue and documenting the cause. I also noticed that this same issue now also happens in the Viewer software.

all the best!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
JoeSch
User

Re: Windows Clipboard not functioning in build 311 (and 308.

Post by JoeSch »

Hi,

also having used the "picture insertion feature" for some time now directly within PXE by using the snapshot tool and then at another place of the same (or other) document by Ctrl+V, I recently recognized that this feature does not work anymore.

I do not recall when I last used this feature on my machine, however, my build (308.1; June 03, 2014) seems to be older than my last working insertion.

I have W7/64 and, as it is the business machine, the software is not altered since a year except normal W7 updates by MS.

Behavior is today that after having used the snapshot tool:
- the data is in the clipboard and can be inserted into another program (Irfanview, Word etc.)
- but Ctrl+V does not show any reaction in PXE
- Cut/Copy/Paste/Delete in the Edit-Menu in PXE are grey and therefore do not have a function
- also opening a new pdf-document, saving it, re-opening it does not show any improvement of this behavior
- options -> Document Properties -> Security: "No security" selected (all allowed), Printing: High resolution

So, I have the feeling that the "non-working" of inserting of clipboard contents (other than text into a textbox) is not build-dependent, but there must be somwhere else in W7 a "bug".

I hope that we will have a sloution soon, as this was one of the features of PXE we bought it for.

Looking forward to getting a solution! Go ahead with this (otherwise and so far) nice program!

Greets!

Joe
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Joe,

Build 308.1 is rather old - so can you please try updating to build 311 first - and you might find that this has started working for you. Also does it help if you close the Editor completely and then start it anew?

Regards,
Stefan
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Also, just a note for Pavman regarding the issue with pasting in from the 3rd party screen-shot app: I've been informed that this should be fixed for build 312, which is scheduled for release later this month/early next month.

JoeSch - if build 311 doesn't fix your issue, please send in the document that you're seeing this with.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Also, just a note for Pavman regarding the issue with pasting in from the 3rd party screen-shot app: I've been informed that this should be fixed for build 312, which is scheduled for release later this month/early next month.

JoeSch - if build 311 doesn't fix your issue, please send in the document that you're seeing this with.

Cheers,

Great News! Thank you for keeping on the development team and to Tracker for getting this issue resolved! Cheers!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)