PDF rendering problem - Windows 7

This Forum is for the use of Clarion For Windows - Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools SDK of Library DLL functions(only) - Please use the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK Forum for assistance with all PDF Print Driver related topics.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker - Clarion Support, John - Tracker Supp, Support Staff, moderators

PTSJohnG
User

PDF rendering problem - Windows 7

Post by PTSJohnG » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Using an older release of PDF-Tools 4 with Clarion 6 build 9054
We are calling the functions to render a clarion report to pdf, then shell executing the file created for the display.
On some machines, the rendering function is compressing the report image instead of being full page display to be approximately 1/4 page in the top left corner.
The machines it is happening on consistently are Windows 7, Service Pack 1, both 64 and 32 bit versions.
It is NOT happening on my developer machine which is also Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 32 bit.

The generated file displays incorrectly regardless of viewer used. Regenerating the file using a machine not exhibiting the problem fixes the issue.

Has this issue been reported before and possibly addressed with a later release of PDF-Tools 4? If so, will the upgrade work with C6?
Is there some other setting I could possibly alter?

Thanks,

John Gossman

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF rendering problem - Windows 7

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:29 am

Hello John Gossman,

I am not a Clarion expert myself - so if this is Clarion specific I will need to ask a colleague for further help - but could it be that you are e.g. creating an A4 page, and then for some reason when generating the .pdf file - the size is e.g. A3, and the content is placed in the upper left corner of the now larger area?
Are you forcing the size of the PDF or e.g. relying on some user preferences that could be different on the affected machine?

Regards,
Stefan

Tracker - Clarion Support
Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi John!

I'm "Tracker's Go-To Guy" for Clarion issues.

Thanks very much for your information. Could you please zip up a couple of PDF pages that show the issue, and the generated CLW file that produced them, and email the lot to my email address: craigr@tracker-software.com

Thanks!
Craig Ransom
Tracker Software - Clarion Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

PTSJohnG
User

Post by PTSJohnG » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:57 pm

Craig, I have done as you requested to send the zip with several pdfs and the clw file. Thanks for your attention to this!

Stefan, thanks for the tip, I'll do some research on that angle as well.

Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:11 pm

:)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi John!

I believe your email has just arrived in my inbox. :)
Craig Ransom

PTSJohnG
User

Post by PTSJohnG » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:26 pm

To give some additional detail – the problems were happening at runtime on PCs that were not involved with compiling the dll.

The extension setting was set to Run Time already, so I went ahead and compiled in a requested change to capture the wmf files.
I put the changed dll in place (running from a server location).
I ran the program and printed from my machine which has always worked, and as expected got a good generation and copied the pdf and wmf files.
I asked person 1 who had the problem to print the item so I could get a bad generation to capture the files again.
NATURALLY, the file generated with a correct display.
I then asked person 2 who had the problem to do the same.
I switched back to the original dll and had person 2 do it again.

Both of those machines within the past couple of days had Windows updates applied.

I am posting for documentation purposes that there appeared to be an OS problem somewhere in there that has apparently been resolved with one of the recent Windows updates.

Thanks all for your attention to what seems to be a problem that resolved itself. I'd say crying wolf but the problem appeared several months ago and was reproducible through last week...

John Gossman

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi John!

Good to know it wasn't us, anyway. :D
Craig Ransom

Return to “PDF-Tools SDK (DLL Libraries Only) - Clarion For Windows Developers Only Please”