Find/Search input fields problem

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Hitman
User

Find/Search input fields problem

Post by Hitman »

Hi,

I do a lot of research and therefore I use find and search a lot. The thing that bothers me, is that when using find (ctrl+f) or search (ctrl+shift+f) these will toggle the dialog boxes. So, for instance, when the find dialog box is already open, I will press ctrl+f, start typing and press enter, after which I realise that, instead of searching, I closed the find dialog box and nothing happened.

What I would like, is that these keyboard shortcuts will always open and select the find/search input field (this is default in many programs, for instance Google Chrome). Is this already possible? Otherwise, I would like this to be added to a wishlist. Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Find/Search input fields problem

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Hitman,

Thanks for the post - I believe that this is something that is planned, though I don't currently have any timeline for its implementation. I will add your voice to the feature request.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Hitman
User

Post by Hitman »

Hi Will,

Thanks, that would be great. BTW, I found another similar request yesterday over here.

Best regards
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Hitman,

I've created a ticket out for this (RT-2600) as there wasn't one already. For now, I don't have info. on when this will be implemented, but it's something that the Dev. Team have said that they will add.

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Hitman
User

Post by Hitman »

Hi,

I would like to add to this a request which also has to do with the find functionality. Would it be possible to highlight the scroll bars to see in an instant where the found keywords are located in the document? I can't upload an example, but it is easy to check out what I mean. For instance, go to the Tracker Software home page, press ctrl+f and search for 'the'. You instantly, in Chrome, see yellow bars with the locations of the found keyword.

Thanks again!
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

+1 for the 'scroll bar find occurrence highlight' request (which will make the worlds best PDF search that PDF-XChange Editor offers, even better).

And afterwards, on to this feature:
David.P wrote:A rather simple but incredibly useful next step would be to highlight different words entered in the search pane in different colors (in the search result pane and in the document itself).

Imagine how amazing it would be if the search term occurrences of the four search terms in the below example would be highlighted (instead of with the same yellow) in four different pastel colors in the document, and also in the search pane:

Here's what the result could look like (simulated with Firefox and SearchWP):
Keep up the great work,

Best Regards
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI David,

I know what you mean regards the highlight in the scroll bar. This is what I see in Chrome:

I have made a feature request for that: RT#2618: Feature Request : Editor search results showing result location in scroll bar. I cannot promise at this juncture if/when this may be done, but rest assured it is on the radar...

Regards the multi-coloured highlight on search results, we do have a ticket for that from something you sent in some time ago called "Revolutionary Killer Feature for Power Reading" The ticket is RT#770: FR: Power Reading feature for annotations. It has been a while since we were looking to add new features like this, however the time is fast approaching when we will be looking to these again and this one is definitely one I'd like to see progressed.

Thanks for the input David.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

A further update, the highlight in the Toolbar is definitely going to happen. It won't be in the next build but it will come soon.

The multi-coloured search results, not so simple. We will take another look into this but there could be serious memory usage issues. We will do what we can, possibly introducing options to turn it off, that may not however be sufficient. So more research is needed here and there are higher priorities. This is not lost to us, it's just not going to happen right away if we do it.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Hitman
User

Post by Hitman »

Great news about the highlight in the toolbar, that would help me so much in my research!

I can imagine that the multi-coloured search results are difficult to implement, but I'll be patiently waiting :)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Hitman,

Yes we will consider that, and in the mean time - if you use the quick find (Ctrl-F) and the Advanced Search (Ctlr-Shift-F) - they will both use different colours (by default blue and yellow/orange) so you can get at least two if not multi colour search highlights.

Regards,
Stefan
Hitman
User

Post by Hitman »

Hi Stefan, thanks, I didn't know about this work-around. This indeed can come in handy.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Paul and Stefan for the updates!

Looking forward to the continued development of this great software.

Best regards
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hitman
User

Post by Hitman »

Just tried the new version, and it works!

Fantastic support when a requested feature is implemented within a month, thanks!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi guys.

About features:

1. "highlight different words entered in the search pane in different colors" (by David.P)
2. RT#2618: Feature Request : Editor search results showing result location in scroll bar. (by Hitman)

We will try to add it in our next build. Thanks for your suggestions and please wait..

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)