Splwow64.exe crash

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK for Developer's
(ActiveX and Simple DLL Versions)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

marcovdlinden
User

Splwow64.exe crash

Post by marcovdlinden »

When we try to print a pdf (trough the SDK Api calls) from our 32bit software on a 64bit pc to an Oce printer the print job stops after 43 pages and shows a SplWoW64.exe crash (see event viewer details below). (about 20 pages were still printed)

I could not reproduce this on other 64b systems with other printers, and the type of pdf documents also didn't seem to matter. I could reproduce it on different pc's using the same oce driver (latest version) and the oce printer.

Any idea's why it crashes? and how to fix it or avoid it?

Print driver host for 32bit applications:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: splwow64.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7601.17777
Application Timestamp: 4f35fbfe
Fault Module Name: StackHash_bed9
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18229
Fault Module Timestamp: 51fb164a
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 00000000000c4102
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.272.7
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: bed9
Additional Information 2: bed91d6afd4c2dc09544429cc86fc74c
Additional Information 3: 440d
Additional Information 4: 440debac5b64773eda6dc0b1e15a886a
Marco
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Splwow64.exe crash

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi marcovdlinden,

The Dev. Team have told me that the most likely cause of the crash would appear to be the driver itself, so they've recommended contacting the company that created your printers drivers.

One possible work around - try printing just a few pages and see if that helps - if so you could print it in 'chunks' until OCE or however is the author of the drivers resolves.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
marcovdlinden
User

Post by marcovdlinden »

I'm not so sure its the printer driver.
I do agree that it is definitely due to the combination of the SDK and the printer driver.

I didn't mention that other (32bit) applications print just fine to the printer (including acrobat reader and such).

It crashes after sending 42 pages, and just printing 20. From a job ~90.000 pages. Breaking this job up is not really an option.

They are using the following driver:
im4512 PCL6 WHQL Driver for Windows XP/2003/Vista/7/2008 64-bit (EXE, 10MB)

I've seen(google) other software (quickbooks) who had a similar crash and they fixed it in their own software.

So if you could take an other look, or help us figure out what part of the printer driver might find 'commands' from the SDK offensive it would be appreciated.
Marco
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi marcovdlinden,

I'm not a Developer (by any stretch of the word), so I'll have to pass this along to the Dev. Team and will get back to you as soon as I know more.

I appreciate your patience and understanding here! :)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

can I ask you to please remove the 'SDK' itself as part of the equation and use the end user version of both the PDF-XChange Viewer and also the PDF-XChange Editor - both of which are available here if needed;

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

And advise if printing direct from the these applications works OK ?

Many thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
marcovdlinden
User

Post by marcovdlinden »

I've not heard yet from the first customer
but a second customer had apparently similar issues and I instructed them to also run the test with your 2 applications.
These had no problems, so only when printing using the SDK do we have problems with these printers.

Can you provide any solutions?
Marco
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Can you help us narrow this down with a general description of what you are using the SDK itself for and any specific functions that might be relevant as part of the process.

As you will appreciate there are a lot of functions and the area that is causing the issue if it is our SDK needs to be narrowed down somewhat so we can investigate.

Also perhaps it would be useful if you compiled some of our SDK examples that would be doing similar things to what you are doing on the users system (e.g. if you are just printing a PDF to paper) and ask your user to try these app's - then we can start to look more closely at where the issue maybe - as you will appreciate it could be with either yours or our code and we need to try and isolate where the issue is so we can provide some meaningful help.

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
marcovdlinden
User

Post by marcovdlinden »

It's difficult for us to run tests on the customers system (we're not in direct contact).

However it's this specific call that causes the printer problems.
PXCV_DrawPageToDC( pMdData->m_pPdfDocView, nPageFile - 1, pDC->m_hDC, &dp);

Printing without a PDF in our application also works so it's just this calls that causes problems for the printer.
Marco
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

I cannot reproduce the issue here with our sample app. It prints well 1310 pages to the printer.
Can you send us a bit more of your code where shown how you fill the dp structure for PXCV_DrawPageToDC call ?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
marcovdlinden
User

Post by marcovdlinden »

Hi Ivan,

The response from our developer:
dp = PXV_CommonRenderParameters
LPRECT WholePageRect = NULL.
LPRECT DrawRect = the size of the current page in pixels.
DWORD Flags = pxvrpf_UseVectorRenderer.
DWORD RenderTarget = pxvrm_Printing.
Marco
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

I still cannot reproduce the issue using sample app and your parameters:

Maybe it depends of printer settings? Can you make screenshots of your printer settings and send it to me?
And any additional information is appreciated.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
marcovdlinden
User

Post by marcovdlinden »

I was finally able to access the customers PC myself today; applied your build 308.0 (just noticed that you released 308.1) and could no longer reproduce the problem with jobs under 600 pages.

I've asked them to run bigger jobs and I'll keep you informed about the results.

I've also asked our other customer with similar problem to retest.

Any big changes in 308.1 vs 308.0 that I should ask them to test with that?
Marco
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi marcovdlinden,

Thanks for the info. - definitely keep us posted!

I believe that 308.1 was released to fix some issues with the new protection system affecting the end user builds rather than SDK's, but I would ask you to test with the latest build anyway, just so that we know for sure you're up to date and that any issues aren't an issue with the previous build.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)