Undesired select text toll effect

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PeterPan
User

Undesired select text toll effect

Post by PeterPan »

Hey,

I read a pdf file a few minutes ago and I noticed an undesirable behaviour. I would really like to know your opinion.

I read a pdf page in single page mode. I copied a text from a page (with the select text tool) and scrolled to the next page of the pdf with my mouse. It was more comfortable to use just the keyboard so I used the arrow keys because I wanted to scroll to the next page. But instead of scrolling I got back to the page where I copied the text because the cursor was still there.
I think it would be better to "unfocus" the current page when you scroll to some other page even when you are using the text tool.

Best regards
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: Undesired select text toll effect

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

No such problem here. I can start selecting text with the mouse, then continue using the keyboard with Shift + Down to extend the selection. The focus does not move.

No problem in continuous page mode or facing pages mode either. Hold shift before moving the down cursor to avoid losing the selection already made.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

At my opinion, the actual behaviour in PDF-XChange Editor is just normal behaviour.

Even in Microsoft Word (2010), when you click somewhere in the text in a large document and then you use the mousewheel or the vertical scroll bar to go to another page somewhere else in the document, ... from the moment that you use the cursor keys on your keyboard, the text jumps back to where the cursor was.

So, it is only a question of doing just one mouseclick at the position where you arrive after using the mousewheel or scroll bar.

Regards.
PeterPan
User

Post by PeterPan »

@ Willy van Nuffel: Thanks for your answer! You're completely right, it's the same behaviour as in MS Word, sorry I didn't think about that.
So this effect is not undesired and I draw my report back.

Just a personal note:
Personally I'm not sure if it's the same thing as in Word, because in Word you write some kind of text and in the editor you select some text with the tool. Additionally the single page mode implies that I'm currently only on this page while you always have the full document in word and only the zoom level is important. But nevertheless I understand your aspect and as I said it works correctly like it is.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

I think it makes not matter if you are editing text or doing something else, it is just the matter of where the cursor is.
This is (normally) just one place somewhere in the document.

Something interesting to add here is that in Microsoft Word as well as in PDF-XChange Editor you can split the window, so that you can see two different places in the same document.
Here there is eventhough a difference between Word and the Editor. Word remembers in both 'half' windows where the cursor is. Editor moves the cursor in both these windows. You can see this behaviour just after splitting the window (via Window > Split > Horizontal split) and start moving the cursor by using the cursor/arrow keys on your keyboard. The text in the other half window will not scroll, but you will see that the cursor disappears...

Regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Willy,

Thanks for your comments. They are spot on! So when you say that "Word remembers in both 'half' windows where the cursor is." do you mean that after this you now have two independent cursors?

And I believe that the behaviour in the Editor - to move the curtor in both Views is the more natural one.

Regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Indeed, in Word you have two independent cursors, but it is like I said, in PDF-XChange Editor you just need to do one click in the text itself, to keep the text at his place in the actual window and to prevent that it jumps to where the cursor is.

So, personally, I do not (yet) see a need to have that Word-behaviour in PDF-XChange Editor.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)