PDF-XChange PRO package & Editor

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

pctuki_fg
User

PDF-XChange PRO package & Editor

Post by pctuki_fg »

Hi,

I have been installing our PDF-XChange PRO package with following command:

pdfx5.exe /VERYSILENT /NORESTART /COMPONENTS="pdfSaver,PDFXChangedriver,PDFTools4,Help,Languagess,OfficesAddin,pdfviewer,PDFVLanguagess,PDFVHelp,IEAddin,ShellExtensions" /PDFV=YES /PDFVINBROWSER /Key:"<product-key>" /LANG=fi

Now that the Editor is in the newest package I would need to know what component name it has? Maybe there is an installation document somewhere(couldn't find it)?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange PRO package & Editor

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello pctuki_fg,

You should be able to find the command line installation instructions here:
Silent Installation (EXE Installer)
Though the Editor in particular seems to not be mentioned in the above article. Have you tried including a "pdfviewer" component?

Alternatively you can use the .msi installation file - and there you need to specify the "F_Viewer" feature:
MSI Installation Switches

Regards,
Stefan
pctuki_fg
User

Post by pctuki_fg »

Hi,

I have the pdfviewer in my command line already, but it wont installa the editor. Editor probably has its own component name?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi pctuki_fg,

Thanks for the post - it seems that you may be using an older installer, as the Viewer has been completely replaced in the PRO installer by the Editor. The command is still "F_Viewer", but it will install the Editor rather than the Viewer.

The Viewer must now be downloaded and installed separately from here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVwer.zip

The latest version of the PRO EXE can be downloaded from here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFX5.zip

If you'd prefer the MSI, let me know your system architecture and I will send alternate links.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi pctuki_fg,

I do apologize, I hadn't fully registered that you were using the EXE. The command should be "/PDFV=yes" - the "F_Viewer" is an AddLocal parameter that is specific to the MSI and should not work with the EXE.

As for it still installing the Viewer, I will have to test this and get back to you.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Some trial and error has revealed that the string should be: pdfx5.exe /VERYSILENT /NORESTART /COMPONENTS="pdfSaver,PDFXChangedriver,pdfxedit,PDFTools4,Help,Languagess,OfficesAddin,PDFVLanguagess,PDFVHelp,IEAddin,ShellExtensions" /PDFVINBROWSER /Key:"<product-key>" /LANG=fi

I realize that this is undocumented on our help site and have made a note for this to be update.

HTH!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
pctuki_fg
User

Post by pctuki_fg »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Some trial and error has revealed that the string should be: pdfx5.exe /VERYSILENT /NORESTART /COMPONENTS="pdfSaver,PDFXChangedriver,pdfxedit,PDFTools4,Help,Languagess,OfficesAddin,PDFVLanguagess,PDFVHelp,IEAddin,ShellExtensions" /PDFVINBROWSER /Key:"<product-key>" /LANG=fi

I realize that this is undocumented on our help site and have made a note for this to be update.

HTH!
Hi,

Didn't work for me, but probably you should look into it and document it properly. Used the MSI and got it working with that.

Thanks for the answers.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi pctuki_fg,

Glad that you made it work with the .msi package. The string Will provided should work with the latest build - so did you have the latest .exe installation file when testing? In any case we will see to get the command line parameters for the .exe installer properly documented.

Regards,
Stefan
pctuki_fg
User

Post by pctuki_fg »

Hi,

I was using the latest build (8th Jan).

Msi installation is working fine except how can I se the default language of the editor to finnish instead of english?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi

That's a known issue with the current installer that should be fixed soon.
For now - registry entry after install should fix it:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\International\t.LocaleID = "fi-FI"

Regards,
Stefan
pctuki_fg
User

Post by pctuki_fg »

Still have one question about the installation. I couldn't get the display PDF in browser to work with my Windows 8.1 and IE 11 setup.

Is it not supported configuration or is there still some bugs related to installer or the PDF Editor?

Käytössä = Enabled
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi pctuki_fg,

Thanks for the post - this is actually to do with the way that IE reports plugins. Generally, the plugins for the Editor and Viewer are not reported in this section of IE, though they ordinarily still are able to View in browser. Only in a very few cases will the plugin display.

To display PDF's in browser, please make sure the Editor is set as default and to view in browser, within Edit --> Preferences --> File Associations. Then open up IE and go to Tools --> Security and make sure that Protected Mode is disabled.

HTH!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
pctuki_fg
User

Post by pctuki_fg »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi pctuki_fg,

Thanks for the post - this is actually to do with the way that IE reports plugins. Generally, the plugins for the Editor and Viewer are not reported in this section of IE, though they ordinarily still are able to View in browser. Only in a very few cases will the plugin display.

To display PDF's in browser, please make sure the Editor is set as default and to view in browser, within Edit --> Preferences --> File Associations. Then open up IE and go to Tools --> Security and make sure that Protected Mode is disabled.

HTH!
Okay, so by turning off the protected mode I was able to get PDFs to display in browser. I could also turn off the IE plugin (as I don't need it) and was still able to show PDF in browser after turning off the protected mode.

Is there any way around the turning off the protected mode? We have had the protected mode on and I don't think we want to make that security sacrifice just to get the PDFs to display in browser.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi pctuki_fg,

We're actually having the Developer in charge of the browser plugins look into this. I'll get back to you as soon as I know more from him.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
pctuki_fg
User

Post by pctuki_fg »

any update on this?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello pctuki_fg,

I just had a conversation with the browser add-in expert and he advised me that the Editor plug-in should work even in protected mode.

Are you using a 32 or 64 bit windows? If it's a 64 bit one, can you please open a command prompt with admin rights, navigate to the Editor installation folder and execute this command:

Code: Select all

regsvr32 iePDFXEditPlugin.x64.dll
and see if that will help.

Regards,
Stefan
pctuki_fg
User

Post by pctuki_fg »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello pctuki_fg,

I just had a conversation with the browser add-in expert and he advised me that the Editor plug-in should work even in protected mode.

Are you using a 32 or 64 bit windows? If it's a 64 bit one, can you please open a command prompt with admin rights, navigate to the Editor installation folder and execute this command:

Code: Select all

regsvr32 iePDFXEditPlugin.x64.dll
and see if that will help.

Regards,
Stefan
Hi,

Tried that. Didn't help. Found out that the protected mode in IE didn't matter. The way I get it working is by opening PDF-XChange Editor navigating to Edit -> Preferences -> File Associations then pressing 'Make Default PDF Application' (brings up UAC promt, as we have it on, where I have to input administrator login). This still only fixes the problem for that particular user profile. Also the PDF-XChange Editor is already the default PDF application.

What user settings regarding the viewing of pdf files in browsers does the 'Make Default PDF Application' -button do? It seems I have to somehow implement those to all users.

We are using both Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit (with IE9) and Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit (with IE11). The both setups have the same problem and the same manual solution.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for testing pctuki_fg,

Passing it again to my colleague for further investigation and comments.

Regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello again pctuki_fg,

I am passing this to our installer experts to make sure it's fixed for next time, and for the moment as a workaround you can use the attached .reg file.

Regards,
Stefan
Attachments
IEPluginEditor.zip
(401 Bytes) Downloaded 113 times
pctuki_fg
User

Post by pctuki_fg »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello again pctuki_fg,

I am passing this to our installer experts to make sure it's fixed for next time, and for the moment as a workaround you can use the attached .reg file.

Regards,
Stefan
Hi,

Those settings didn't help. Still need to go and press the 'Make default'-button.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi pctuki_fg,

I've asked the colleague who provided the above .reg file to take another look at your case and advise. We will post back here when we have some further news.

Regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello pctuki_fg,

The "Make Default" button inside the Editor should be doing the same as the registry file.

The only difference is that the Editor adds an additional reg keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER as well. So it looks like the Editor or regedit cannot write to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ or some of these registry key changes might be ignored by some admin policies.

Regards,
Stefan
pctuki_fg
User

Post by pctuki_fg »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello pctuki_fg,

The "Make Default" button inside the Editor should be doing the same as the registry file.

The only difference is that the Editor adds an additional reg keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER as well. So it looks like the Editor or regedit cannot write to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ or some of these registry key changes might be ignored by some admin policies.

Regards,
Stefan
Ok, seems it works when I install brand new Computer with the reg file and with the newest PRO package.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Great to hear that!

Cheers,
Stefan