Importing bookmarks with postscript file

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

speed804
User

Importing bookmarks with postscript file

Post by speed804 »

Hello,

I noticed that the import/export bookmarks function seems to use postscript. Could someone help me write a bit of script that would make the bookmark be added to the top of the bookmark list as opposed to the default of after the selected one or the end of the list? Or could you tell me if that is even possible?

Also, are there any settings I can change for the import bookmark function?

Thanks,

Steve
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Importing bookmarks with postscript file

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Steve,

Once imported you should be able to just drag and drop the new bookmarks to the desired position. Or do you want to automate that process?

Cheers,
Stefan
speed804
User

Post by speed804 »

I am looking to automate this yes. I have a few hundred tech unit pdfs I need to update with a bookmark at the top of the list. I have automated the creation of these pdfs as well and will need to add this bookmark each time I create a new one.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Steve,

Don't think there's a way to achieve that with the end user version of our products - they are simply not intended for such automation sorry :(

Regards,
Stefan
speed804
User

Post by speed804 »

You also don't have an sdk version of the editor yet right?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

That's correct,

However after a bit of thought - you should be able to add your bookmarks using JS.
Please take a look at the Bookmark Mehtods (Page 178) of this document:
http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/ ... erence.pdf

You will need to open each PDF and execute the Bookmark creation script for each of them, but you could add a save and close commands to the JS, so you can open e.g. a atch of 20 files, execute the JS for each of them and then go to the next batch.

Regards,
Stefan
speed804
User

Post by speed804 »

That is what I have been looking into after your first comment :) thanks for the page reference though! Any other tips you have will save me time.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Steve,

It should be pretty straight forward, and there are samples inside the document from the above link to get you in the right direction.

Regards,
Stefan
speed804
User

Post by speed804 »

Adding bookmark creation with javascript is super easy if all you want to do is add a javascript action. http://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/auto_ ... k_creation details all the needed info. I don't want to use a javascript action because it might be disabled on some computers security settings. The equivalent javascript action of what I would like to do is this.bookmarkRoot.createChild("Main Menu", "app.openDoc('/T/OpsSupport/TechUnits/MainMenu.pdf')" ,0). I will post the code once I find another solution. This combined with saving the pdf app.execMenuItem("Save") looks like it will solve my needs fully.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the info and glad to hear that you've found what you've need :)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com