Editor vs Viewer

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

RNFolsom
User

Editor vs Viewer

Post by RNFolsom »

When I open the Editor User Manual (PDF, not the Online), Editor doesn't open it. Instead, Viewer opens it. I won't be uninstalling Viewer until I am convinced that I prefer it over Editor.
Is there any other way to make Editor the default program to open PDF files?

Ideally, Editor would be the default reader to open a PDF file, but there would be an option for Viewer to read it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

PDF-XChange Editor v3x User Manual (Printed PDF) page 5, includes the following:

"If you are not sure whether your Editor is running in FREE or PRO mode, simply open the About PDF-XChange Viewer... [emphasis supplied] screen and check the upper right edge:

"If you see the word 'FREE' then you are running in the unregistered FREE mode. . . . If you see 'PRO' then you are running in the registered PRO mode and all functionality is open to you."

1) Does the word Viewer belong in those instructions, given that I am running Editor version 3.0 (Build 306.1)?

2) When I follow the directions above, I cannot get either FREE or PRO to appear. Nothing appears.
My Editor is version 3.0 (Build 306.1). And my Editor serial number (same as my Viewer serial number, because I bought a new Viewer in March of this year) is in Registration Info.

Can I be sure that my Editor is in PRO mode, even though I can't get the manual's instructions to work?

Thanks. R.N. (Roger) Folsom
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Editor vs Viewer

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Roger,

Thanks for your comments. For the moment the editor can be set as the default application either at install time or if you right click a PDF file and select "Open With..." and then "Always use this application for this type of file" in the next screen.
An option inside the Editor's preferences will be added soon.

As for the remarks about the manual - passing that to the people working on it and we will see to correct that as needed!

Regards,
Stefan
RNFolsom
User

Post by RNFolsom »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello Roger,

Thanks for your comments. For the moment the editor can be set as the default application either at install time or if you right click a PDF file and select "Open With..." and then "Always use this application for this type of file" in the next screen.
An option inside the Editor's preferences will be added soon.

As for the remarks about the manual - passing that to the people working on it and we will see to correct that as needed!

Regards, Stefan
Stefan: Thanks for telling me about right-clicking a PDF file, selecting "Open With..." and then in a next screen checking an "Always use this application for this type of file option."

Instead, when I right-clicked a PDF file and selected "Open with" and then selected PDF-XChange Editor, the file opened instantaneously (in Editor), and I didn't get that next screen, so I didn't get an "Always use this application for this type of file" option.

Instead, that "Open with" dialog box listed choices of Editor, Viewer, WordPerfect, and Choose default program. Clicking that opened another screen with icons for those alternatives, and I chose Editor.

So all is well. Even the Editor User Manual, when I click its icon in my classic start menu, now opens in Editor instead of in Viewer.

Thanks for inviting my attention to the "Open with" dialog box. I may have gotten somewhat different results than you described, because I am using Windows7 sp1 64-bit. I should have mentioned that in my initial message.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Roger,

Glad you found it, and apologies - it is indeed under Open With -> Choose Default Program where you need to tick that checkbox!

Glad all is well now, and in one of the next Editor builds you would have an option to do the same from inside the Editor's own settings.

Regards,
Stefan
Boise12345
User

Post by Boise12345 »

[quote="RNFolsom"]When I open the Editor User Manual (PDF, not the Online), Editor doesn't open it.

User manual??? How do I access this for editor and viewer?
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Boise12345 wrote:User manual??? How do I access this for editor and viewer?
Menu "Help - Content" or "F1" should do it.

Peter
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the help Peter!

Cheers,
Stefan