Inclusion in PDF-XChange 2012/3 Pro...?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

yuk fai lo
User

Inclusion in PDF-XChange 2012/3 Pro...?

Post by yuk fai lo »

Will Editor be included in the XChange Pro distribution in future?

Thanks.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Inclusion in PDF-XChange 2012/3 Pro...?

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

It will,

from approx the end of this month
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
mikolajek
User

Post by mikolajek »

Hmmmm... It looks Editor has not yet been included into PDF X-Change PRO :(
Any information on when we can expect it?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Yes - the next release - build 305 will be the one that replaces the Viewer in all our products, the most recent release was just a service release to correct some minor but irritating bugs etc.

Build 305 should be available late September and includes a number of new features including Redaction and XFA support, some OCR improvements and numerous other items yet to be detailed.

HTH
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
PeterPan
User

Post by PeterPan »

Hi,

I really appreciate that you will release the editor by the end of next month. I know that a lot of people whant the old features back and of course some new, but would it be possible to add small things too? I know that you can make any promiss and thats okay, you delivered a great product since today, but I only want to point out a few things I would love to see in the release. Most of them are already in the "old" viewer but I really need them everyday and so I can't use the editor as efficiently as the viewer. Some were already added in the latest release, thanks for that!

- Even more shortcuts (love to see that Ctrl + W works in the new release (304)), for example Ctrl + Tab
- Close a tab by clicking with the mouse wheel on that tab
- Keep pressing the mouse wheel to scroll all over the pdf
- I think the search function is a bit frustrating (for me). I want to search something so I press Ctr + F. I can enter some word and continue reading the pdf by using my mouse. I want to search again and press Ctr + F again, but the search disappears. In my opinion it would be better to implement it like in Chrome for example. :)
- I often split my display (23inch) in two parts for two pdfs using the Windows function (move a window to the far left or far right, or press windows key + arrow left/right) But when I do this I never see the page counter of each page, thats a bit annoying. I know that I later can edit the menus but I think it would be a great idea to show the page by default because it is one of the most important functions which you need very often.

So these are only a few ideas I have and I'm very interested in your opinion.

Have a nice day and thanks for your great product!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Peter,

We are always pleased to receive feedback and suggestions and everything you have offered will be considered - but for now our primary goal is simply to get this initial gold release done and out and take a deep breath - as you know this has been a very very long journey and we just want to get to the next milestone and have a gold release out and then we will look at our next steps in the journey.

So if I may - I will decline to make any further commitments at this time.

Best regards
Tracker Support
mikolajek
User

Post by mikolajek »

I do agree users (including myself) would like to have all (most?) features they got used to back in the new bundle package. We appreciate Tracker's staff effort to expand PDF XChange product functionality but it is always nice to keep what has been achieved so far... :)

I support PeterPan's suggestion about built-in screen splitting so more than one document could be read at once. In days of wide screens it is a very handy function.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello mikolajek,

Yes we are working on including as many of the Viewer features in the Editor before making it officially a 100% finished product, and there's really not much longer left now. The refusal for further commitment is for new features requested in this topic!

Regards,
Stefan
mikolajek
User

Post by mikolajek »

Hello Developer! I've just received an email with a big announcement on the Editor release.

I went to downloads page right away but I saw there were still no Editor inclusion into the full package of PDF X-Change PRO. Apologies for repeating myself, but any news where can we expect that?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

This will happen in the next few days - we have a service release out over the weekend correcting a few bugs that have been reported and adding a couple of additional items - if all goes well, this is when we will update and include in the PRO package and remove the viewer.

HTH

Best regards
Tracker Support
mikolajek
User

Post by mikolajek »

That's a great news! Thank you!

I believe all PDF X-Change users are waiting for this integration impatiently!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I agree - but a little caution is required as our corporate users are cautious people and some are understandably reluctant to have a new product included until exposure to large scale use has proven.

Hence the caution on our part :)

Best regards
Tracker Support
mikolajek
User

Post by mikolajek »

And apparently, the time has come! :)

But I'm a bit confused - in the updated PDF X-Change PRO installation package there are BOTH - Editor and Viewer. I thought that Editor was going to replace Viewer - am I correct? Or will there be two apps in the package?

I'm asking since Viewer has also many editing options. I didn't have time yet to compare those two products, so it's possible that they should exist simultaneously in the package. But it's always better to know the official version of the developer ;). So please do explain that to me.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I have just double checked and only the Editor is contained in the PRO installer (exe version) so I can only assume the Viewer installation was the original previously installed - however it does no harm to have both installed and there are options available in the Viewer not available in the Editor just yet - so it is recommended to have both for now.

HTH

Best regards
Tracker Support
mikolajek
User

Post by mikolajek »

True! Thanks for clarifying that.

I've checked my Viewer version and its build 212 released back in August. I have the previous installation installed indeed so my Viewer copy must belongs to it.

I will then have a "double drive" for some time ;)
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)

Best regards
Tracker Support
sedell
User

Post by sedell »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:I have just double checked and only the Editor is contained in the PRO installer (exe version)
We deploy from Group Policy. When can we expect the Editor in the PRO msi installers?

Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Sedell,

Thanks for the post - the Devs. should be uploading the new MSI's soon, so provided the upload doesn't take a long time to sync. (which is obviously beyond our control), it should be available later today/tomorrow.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.