Feature request: Fit to page contents (auto crop with zoom)

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

christian kuhlmann
User

Feature request: Fit to page contents (auto crop with zoom)

Post by christian kuhlmann »

I'd like to suggest that you add the ability to zoom to the contents of a pdf document. This would automatically crop all margins and display the boundary box containing all (visible) page elements. Such a feature is available with most ebook readers and I think it is also useful when using a desktop application to read PDF documents.
As an extension there could be an option whether this should work per individual page or use the maximum bounding box for a whole document so that the zoom factor stays constant throughout the document.
With the auto crop feature already present in the editor I think the volatile use of this data as zoom information might not be hard do implement and could be very beneficial when reading documents.
Regards
Chris
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: Fit to page contents (auto crop with zo

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the suggestion Chris!

I will pass it to the dev team for consideration.

Cheers,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

+1 vote for this request,

...and please also consider auto zoom to contents' width only (+small margin for beauty and visual smoothness), especially on a per-page basis -- because the existing "fit zoom to width") unfortunately does not seem to work (per page, that is) with any existing PDF viewer.

Cheers David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi David,

Thanks for your input. However I've had a discussion for such "fit contents width" feature in the past and it turns out to be more complicated than it appears, due to complications with invisible components on the page that might be present, or white image borders etc... However we will still have these requests in mind for the future!

Cheers,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thanks Stefan, I understand what you are saying.

For me personally -- instead of a "fit to content" feature -- a "fit to page with" (but other than now, on a per page basis), would be a perfect start for this feature.

Thank you
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Postscriptum:

In other words, if clicking on the "fit to page width" zoom button, the current page should be zoom-fitted to its own width, and not to the width of the widest page in the document (as it is at present).

:oops:
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks David!

Noted! :)

Cheers,
Stefan