Inserting pages with Bookmarks

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

fghj
User

Inserting pages with Bookmarks

Post by fghj »

I have 7 chapters of a document, each one in a separate MS Word file.

I use PDF-XC Pro to convert each Word file to a PDF file...7 files, and each file has bookmarks from the Word section headers. So far so good.

I need to make a single PDF file with all 7 chapters (files). I load Chapter 1 PDF into PDF-XC Pro, and of course its Bookmarks are there.
I insert Chapter 2 PDF file pages to the end. Insertion of pages works, but Chap. 2 Bookmarks do not appear.
And so on with all chapters.

I end up with a single PDF file, as desired, but only Bookmarks from Chapter 1.

Is there a way to have all the Bookmarks from all the Chapters?

Thanks!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Inserting pages with Bookmarks

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi fghj,

Thanks for the post - I believe that this is because using the option to "Insert Pages --> From File" will literally only insert the pages and their content. Bookmarks are stored 'externally' from the data of the page itself and merely reference points on it.

To do what you need, it may be better to use the Office Add-in that comes with both PDF-XChange Standard and PDF-XChange PRO, to use the file append/prepend options, to append Chapter 2, 3, etc. to the Chapter 1 document, upon completion of the Word to PDF conversion.

Cheers, hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Just for your info:

Did you remark the Actions with objects - Bookmark option in the Insert Pages dialogbox ?
You can choose between:
- Do Not Copy
- Copy All
- but not Copy Related (this one stays greyed out)

As an alternative you can also use the PDF-XChange "PDF Tools", "Split/Merge" functionality, by taking care that the "Include Merged bookmarks in output PDF"-option is checked/activated.

(I do get the intention that these PDF Tools are somewhat getting forgotten, although in certain circumstances they are very usefull ...)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

Thanks for that! I apologize - I actually mistook the forum for the Viewer forum, so if you're using the Editor, then using the option to "Copy All" is the easiest option.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
fghj
User

Post by fghj »

Yes, that works.

But:

It means each individual chapter's PDF file in fact has a running accumulation of the preceding files created...so to have individual chapters with bookmarks, I'll have to repeat each chapter's conversion without pre-pending.

I tried using the Pro Tool Office2PDF to batch convert. But the batch converter didn't create bookmarks, though I did ask it to. Its bookmark detecting options may not be as powerful or customizable as the ones in the Office Add-In.
fghj
User

Post by fghj »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:Just for your info:

Did you remark the Actions with objects - Bookmark option in the Insert Pages dialogbox ?
You can choose between:
- Do Not Copy
- Copy All
- but not Copy Related (this one stays greyed out)

As an alternative you can also use the PDF-XChange "PDF Tools", "Split/Merge" functionality, by taking care that the "Include Merged bookmarks in output PDF"-option is checked/activated.

(I do get the intention that these PDF Tools are somewhat getting forgotten, although in certain circumstances they are very usefull ...)
In the Insert Pages dialogbox, I'm not seeing the Actions With Objects. My PDFXChange Viewer is 2.5 build 208
Willy Van Nuffel
User

@fghj
Please pay attention that you posted your question in the "PDF-XChange Editor"-part of the forum.
So I was talking about PDF-XChange Editor and not about PDF-XChange Viewer, sorry for the confusion.

After a little test with PDF-XChange Viewer version 2.5 build 211, I can indeed confirm what you did remark:
bookmarks of inserted pages are not copied into the destination PDF.

@Will
Still talking about PDF-XChange Editor version 3.0 build 303:

Did you remark that the "Copy All" option copies "all" the bookmarks of the source PDF into your destination PDF, not only thoose belonging to the selected page(s).
Probably that is the intention, so good, but I do not see the advantage of this.
A lot of bookmarks will not work, because the related pages are not there...

Besides that, I wonder why the "Copy Related" option is not available when you make the choice to NOT copy ALL the pages, but only a selection of pages ? This option should only copy the bookmarks related to the copied pages.
Do you agree ?

Can you please check this out with the development team, because I suppose this last option ( Copy Related ) is still not functional. Maybe for a next release ?

Thanks.
fghj
User

Post by fghj »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:@fghj
Please pay attention that you posted your question in the "PDF-XChange Editor"-part of the forum.
So I was talking about PDF-XChange Editor and not about PDF-XChange Viewer, sorry for the confusion.
OK, I am confused as to precisely what product I have then.

The About screen says PDFXCHANGE VIEWER / PRO version 2.5 (Build 211.0) (Jun 17 2013; 09:19:35)
[I just updated to the latest, hence the difference from my prior post]

I am not sure then what the Editor is, I don't see it listed in Tracker Software products...I thought the "Pro" was the "Editor".

At any rate with the information above and the product I have, I can produce a PDF files with all bookmarks, but since the batch converter doesn't catch my particular headers in the Word .docx files, I can't use that...however, I did use the batch merger, and that merged in all the bookmarks, so I'm good.

Still curious what the "Editor" is, then.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Maybe it is more up to the people of Tracker software to give you some words of explanation, but here are mine:

PDF-XChange Pro is the common name for a collection of different PDF tools (it is not "one" product in it self):
- PDF-Xchange printer (possibility to make a PDF from within any software that has a File > Print option)
- PDF-Tools (a lot of functionality to apply to existing PDF's, like for exemple split or merge PDF's)
- PDF-Viewer (similar to Adobe Reader but with a lot of extra functionality)
- Office add-ins (make PDF's from within Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ... with option to make bookmarks out of heading styles and to keep hyperlinks and references, ...)
- Office to PDF batch converter (convert to PDF as a background functionality)

PDF-XChange Editor is a recent and new product that offers you the opportunity to really "edit" a PDF-file.
You can find it here:
> https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Guys,

fghj - The Editor is a partial release of what will be, when complete, Version 3 of the Viewer. It's not yet listed on our products page because it's only a partial release, but it is listed on our downloads page:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads
What you have is indeed the Viewer.

I'm glad that you got things doing what you needed!

Willy - I'll definitely test and will report the issue to the Dev. Team. For now, I can't say for sure whether or not this was supposed to have been implemented and when it will be, but I'll definitely check with the 'boys' (though I believe that you're right here).
Also, thanks for the explanation and all the help :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)