PDF-XChange Lite 2012 Printer Installation Failing

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mihlfeld & associates, inc.
User

PDF-XChange Lite 2012 Printer Installation Failing

Post by mihlfeld & associates, inc. »

I am attempting to install the software in the title (version 5.0.270) on a newly setup Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition and it's failing to add the printer at the end. This issue just recently started happening when I tried to upgrade to a more current version. Prior to this, I've been able to install onto my various terminal servers (both version 4 and 5 printer software) with no issue. I tried both the most current release and the prior release, but I'm getting nowhere.

When it gets to the end of the installation, it asks if I want to make the PDF-XChange printer default or not. Regardless of which option I choose here, an error window then pops up after I click a button that states the operation could not be completed. The software installation portion finishes fine, however, and acts like there was no errors. I click Ok to the error window to clear it, click next in the installation window, which takes me to the registration screen, and then allows me to finish. The software minus the actual printer all seems to be installed.

When I go look at the printer control panel server properties, I can see that it created the port fine and added a driver called PDF-XChange 2012 Printer Driver (Lite). However, I can't use it to manually create the printer, nor is the printer setup at all. Any ideas what I can do about this new found problem installing in this environment? This used to never be an issue.

Thanks.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange Lite 2012 Printer Installation Failing

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI

thanks for the post and report. can i ask you to log the installation and send us the log files please? Tehre are 2 different logs that we need:
/L During the installation the file prninstaller.log – log-file of the installation of the driver part of the product – will be created in the PDF-XChange folder.
/LOG Causes Setup to create a log file in the user's TEMP directory detailing file installation and [Run] actions taken during the installation process. This can be a helpful debugging aid. For example, if you suspect a file isn't being replaced when you believe it should be (or vice versa), the log file will tell you if the file was really skipped, and why.
The log file is created with a unique name based on the current date. (It will not overwrite or append to existing files.)
The information contained in the log file is technical in nature and therefore not intended to be understandable by end users. Nor is it designed to be machine-parseable; the format of the file is subject to change without notice.
/LOG={filename} Same as /LOG, except it allows you to specify a fixed path/filename to use for the log file. If a file with the specified name already exists it will be overwritten. If the file cannot be created, Setup will abort with an error message.
PDFX5.exe /LOG="C:\Logs\PDFXInstallLog.txt"
I'm not 100% sure if you can generate both logs in the one install. You may need to try the installation twice, once with each switch. I'd be keen to know if you do get both logs by trying both switches concurrently however.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
User

See attached zip file of the logs. Both switches worked with one run of the installer and dumped the files in the user %temp% directory.

EDIT: Also, I tried to manually add the printer after this by adding a local printer manually. I chose the port that was created during installation and then I browsed to the install directory for the driver (the PrnInst.inf file) and then I get a window that popped up with this info:

"The specified location does not contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the location contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for X64-based systems."

Then all I can do is click OK to this window and it gives me a chance again to look for another driver.

(edited for grammar)
Attachments
install_logs.zip
Zipped Install Logs
(2.82 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Last edited by mihlfeld & associates, inc. on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that.

I'll have one of the dev team look at the log files and advise.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

It looks like the issue was in the printer not the installer. We will fix this for the next build.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
User

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I am revisiting this issue on a test server of ours (Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition) and it appears we're still seeing odd behavior out of the Lite 2012 printer (currently using version 5.5 build 308.2 installed from the ZIP installer). Everything installs fine and no errors, however, printing behavior doesn't seem to work as it did with older versions. When I print to the PDF-XChange Printer Lite 2012, it shows the print job going to the print queue for this printer, then it disappears from the queue and never prompts to save the PDF. This is how it previously worked.

That said, if I manually start up the pdfSaver application first, then go to print, it works as it normally would. Is it now required that the pdfSaver is started first before printing to the PDF-XChange Printer Lite 2012 will work? If so, do I just need to add the pdfSaver to the Startup when logging into the machine? Previously it was not required to start pdfSaver to print to this printer, but that's the only way I can seem to make it work with the current version.

Please advise. Thanks.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi,

you have nailed it, the work around is indeed to start PDFSaver on log in. We are working to fix this so that in future this won't be necessary.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Zumwalt
User

Post by Zumwalt »

I too have the same problem of no saveas, and since it worked previously I assumed it was my system.
Thanks for the temporary solution, and hope to see a final one soon.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Zumwalt,

Welcome to our forums, and yes certainly we are working on a proper fix.

Regards,
Stefan