What's new in 3.0 Build 302.0?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

gate1975mlm
User

What's new in 3.0 Build 302.0?

Post by gate1975mlm »

So what is new in PDF-XChange Editor 3.0 Build 302.0?

It seems none of my requests and things that need to be fixed are in this latest build unfortunately. :roll:
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: What's new in 3.0 Build 302.0?

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi gate1975mlm,

Thanks for the post - I've actually just finished speaking the Lead Developer and he's informed me that they've got a list of things that they intend to work on next. It seems that they were pushed to release the new build yesterday and were having to prioritize some issues/feature requests over others, so some didn't quite make it, I'm afraid.

Can you summarize what issues it is that you are referring to, that way I can talk to the Devs. about them and see if I can get any further updates for you, or see if any should be fixed as of 302.

Cheers, let me know!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
gate1975mlm
User

Post by gate1975mlm »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi gate1975mlm,

Thanks for the post - I've actually just finished speaking the Lead Developer and he's informed me that they've got a list of things that they intend to work on next. It seems that they were pushed to release the new build yesterday and were having to prioritize some issues/feature requests over others, so some didn't quite make it, I'm afraid.

Can you summarize what issues it is that you are referring to, that way I can talk to the Devs. about them and see if I can get any further updates for you, or see if any should be fixed as of 302.

Cheers, let me know!

1. Initial Display Page Layout and Zoom Settings are still not remembered.

2. Still no Thumbnails for pdf's in folders or on the desktop.

3. Still no option to move the "Previous Page/Next Page" buttons to the bottom of the pdf.

4. Loading % when loading a pdf in Firefox or IE.

These are the 4 main things I am wanting very much.

And the first 3 are already in the Viewer.

I am just hoping all these features will be in some time soon :)

Thanks
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi gate1975mlm,

Thanks for that :) I'll answer in the same fashion, to make thing easier;

1) I believe that this should be in there, as of 302, so I'll check this out/will talk to the Devs. and will post back when I know more.

2) This is something that is actually determined by our shell extensions, which haven't currently been packaged/adapted with/for the Editor. You should, however, be able to get these by installing the Viewer alongside the Editor
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVwer.zip

3) The ability to move the toolbars also hasn't been added yet either - I'm not entirely sure when this will be added, but I will check as soon as I am able and will post back if/when more info. becomes available to me.

4) I'm guessing that this one wasn't able to be implemented/introduced in this build. Also, do please note, that even placing a formal feature request doesn't guarantee its implementation and it if it's decided that it will be implemented, then it's prioritized amongst other feature requests.

Cheers, will post back soon.
Will
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
vivadavid
User

Post by vivadavid »

Hello,

I can't find the log for the latest release either, and I'd like to know what's new.

Still no proper highlight feature for PDF/A files, unfortunately. It'll be a shame if I can't use PDF-Xchange with most of files, which come from scanning books. You said it had to do with supporting the standard, but I have the feeling this is the only PDF viewer and editor where highlight isn't allowed on PDF/A files. Still hoping to have a big surprise one of these days...

Thanks,

David
PeterPan
User

Post by PeterPan »

Hey,

I try to use the new Editor as my every day PDF program, but I miss a few small things.

1) When pressing the mouse wheel it should be possible to "scroll/move" through the whole PDF.
2) You can use the right and left keyboard keys to move to next/previous page (not first and last)
3) The editor should remember the page you were, when closing and then reopening the same pdf file

Thanks a lot for your great work!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Guys,

I'll reply to each person individually, so I apologize in advance for the long post!
1. Initial Display Page Layout and Zoom Settings are still not remembered.
I have reproduced this, but whether or not it's a bug or has not been implemented yet, I not entirely sure. Regardless, I will speak the Developers as soon as they're in and will see what more I can find out (sorry for further delays).
Hello,

I can't find the log for the latest release either, and I'd like to know what's new.

Still no proper highlight feature for PDF/A files, unfortunately. It'll be a shame if I can't use PDF-Xchange with most of files, which come from scanning books. You said it had to do with supporting the standard, but I have the feeling this is the only PDF viewer and editor where highlight isn't allowed on PDF/A files. Still hoping to have a big surprise one of these days...

Thanks,

David
The release notes haven't been published yet, but they Devs. are aware and they will published as soon as they can be. As for the PDF/A highlight issue - if you open the problem file in Adobe, you should see a message stating that the file is PDF/A compliant and has been opened in read only mode, to prevent modification.
It seems that this behavior has been laid down by the PDF Specification and it is very unlikely that we will change this, given that we 100% ISO Standards compliant.
If this is not the case, then can you please zip the file and upload it so that we can take a look here?
Hey,

I try to use the new Editor as my every day PDF program, but I miss a few small things.

1) When pressing the mouse wheel it should be possible to "scroll/move" through the whole PDF.
2) You can use the right and left keyboard keys to move to next/previous page (not first and last)
3) The editor should remember the page you were, when closing and then reopening the same pdf file

Thanks a lot for your great work!
1) I can definitely put in a feature request for this, it seems like a nice idea (I can't make any promises though, and it's likely to be a low priority, for the time being).

2) I believe that customization of this is coming, but has not been implemented yet. For now, the Up and Down arrow keys are the ones that scroll through, page by page. To jump whole pages at a time, you'll need to have "Facing" selected.

3) I believe that this is actually somewhat related to the same setting as the zoom levels that were mentioned above - I'd already made a note to mention this to the Devs. before reading your post, so no worries :) it's being looked into!

Cheers guys, again, sorry for the long post!!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
PeterPan
User

Post by PeterPan »

Hey Will,

thanks for your answer. Since 1) ist already implemented in the current version of the viewer, I think it should be in the editor too. Did you mean that?
Just a moment ago I discovered another small feature which I know from the viewer and which is missing in the editor: Switching between different pdf files with Strg + Tab

I know these are small improvements but these are actualy the small features is miss most (at the moment)

Best regards
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi PeterPan,

No worries!

Sorry, that is what I meant - it may well be that the Devs. are already planning to implement this, but haven't been able to add it yet, due to other priorities.

As for the Strg + Tab (for English speaking users reading this, this is "Ctrl" on a German keyboard), I'm fairly certain that this is going to be implemented too, but I will definitely throw request/reminder about this feature to them.

It may be worth reiterating that we are having to prioritize feature implementations and are still in the process of migrating many features from the Viewer, to the Editor, so it's very likely that many of the requests that are being made have already been noted by the Development team. I would suggest waiting until after the Editor goes for sale to see what, if anything, you would like to see available, has been left out.

Cheers,
Will
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
PeterPan
User

Post by PeterPan »

Hey Will,

thanks for your quick reply. Sounds great and I'm looking forward to the next releases.

(Sorry, I forgot to mention, that it's Ctrl on the most keyboards)

Best regards
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hey Peter,

No worries for the Ctrl thing - not an issue, I completely understood what you meant! :)

Me too!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi vivadavid,

Actually, it may be handy to see the file, as I've just remembered the compromise that we spoke about in this thread:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 226#p70226

It would be handy to have the file, if possible, for the Devs. to analyze and see what can be done to help out here.

If that's a possibility, could you either archive the file and upload here, or send it to support@pdf-xchange.com, with a link back to this thread.

Cheers,
Will
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
vivadavid
User

Post by vivadavid »

Hello, Will,

We did talk about highliting on PDF/A files in a previous post, and you agreed you'd think about it. My main point was that even if, on the standardad, highlighiting isn't allowed, you can do it on all PDF viewers, including Adobe, where you just have to go to Settings and click on a particular button. You could do that: prevent certain operations, but, at the same time, allow the user to perform them once he's informed that this will break the standard.

I'm attaching one of the PDF files that I produce, as you've requested.

Thanks for your help, and I keep my fingers crossed,

David
Attachments
Doctorado (Temario, evaluación y bibliografía) - 10 a 11.583 BAL.rar
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 153 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi vivadavid,

Thanks for that, it's appreciated - I completely understand and see what you're getting at :) Also, having spoken to the Developers on this, I believe that it's something that they'd definitely like to consider and it appears likely that something similar to what you have suggested will be implemented (don't quote me on that though, I'm just doing a little "mind reading" ;) )

Anyway, will pass that along and will post back after I've spoken with them again.

Cheers,
Will
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

I've got some more info. for each of the issues here:

gate1975mlm - The zoom and page displays are a part of a feature set that the Devs. are looking at ways to implement differently than we have previously, so it will be in there soon.

PeterPan - your request about the way pages are displayed is, as I thought, as part of the above, so is being looked at as a part of that.

vivadavid - your issue is intended to be a part of a larger set of functions. I'm not sure whether or not I can really give more details out to the general public, given that it's all in a stage of planning (much like the above two), so I'll play it safe and will just say that these are all actively and currently being looked at and/or worked on as we speak.

Cheers guys, hope that helps!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
vivadavid
User

Post by vivadavid »

Thanks, Will, that's excellent news!

Have a nice day!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
gate1975mlm
User

Post by gate1975mlm »

Thanks for the update! :)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

No worries :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)