Some questions & concerns on the new PDF-XChange Editor!

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

gate1975mlm
User

Some questions & concerns on the new PDF-XChange Editor!

Post by gate1975mlm »

Hello,

I just installed PDF-XChange Editor Version 3.0 Build 300.0.

And I have a few questions and concerns.

1. Is Build 300.0 a final or Beta Build?

2. I can not seem to open any PDF's in IE10 and there are no settings for making PDF's open in the IE browser that I can see.

PDF's do open up in firefox however there seems to be no option to show the "menu bar" with the options at the top of the PDF's when viewing in in firefox.
3. PDF-XChange Editor still is not remembering my settings like "Page Layout and Zoom" for example.

4. There is still no toolbar with the "Previous page and Next page" buttons at the bottom of PDF-XChange Editor like there was in PDF-XChange Viewer.

This latest build still kind of feels like a Beta to me as there are a lot of features that are missing it seems. And honestly at this point in time I actually rather use PDF-XChange Viewer :(
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Some questions & concerns on the new PDF-XChange Editor!

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Firstly please read the announcment made here which clearly states it is not a final release - and any user who has used any of our products - and you say you have been using our Viewer so I am surprised you are not aware of this - will know we constantly improve and update our products (without constant upgrade charges) throughout every release cycle - not just major releases ;

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 62&t=17058

2: IE now blocks the manipulation of the default PDF reader for the Browser by installers or external applciations and we have found no way to bypass this as yet -if we cannot do so we will have to release the Plugin and users will have to manipulate the settings in their Browser manually - but we are taking a little extra time to endeavour to resolve - Adobe have placed a KB article to this effect on their website and we have also done so in regards our existing Viewer - see here;

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/388

3: Not so here - such settings are remembered in our tests - did you do a full uninstall prior to installing the latest release ? If you still have the issue after doing so - perhaps the PDF you are viewing has preset defaults that cannot be over ridden ?

4: This is now located on the top Toolbar - provided of course you have a multi page document
And honestly at this point in time I actually rather use PDF-XChange Viewer
Naturally - your prerogative - but your missing much that has been added and seeing your cup as half empty when it fact its probably 3/4's full in my opinion ...
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
gate1975mlm
User

Post by gate1975mlm »

Hi John,

I saw "This product is a full release with many new functions and features" and I thought "Full release" meant it was out of beta stage.

Sorry for the misunderstanding :)

And yes I do realize you constantly improve and update your products. I just thought this was final and was surprised some features that I like were missing.

But I guess they will all be added in the future?

Thanks
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Absolutely and I do understand your concerns - but we hope to continually with a release due in the coming weeks with even more.

thanks for your patience :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
gate1975mlm
User

Post by gate1975mlm »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:3: Not so here - such settings are remembered in our tests - did you do a full uninstall prior to installing the latest release ? If you still have the issue after doing so - perhaps the PDF you are viewing has preset defaults that cannot be over ridden

I went and installed PDF -Xchange Editer on a brand new computer and I still have this issue with every version of PDF -Xchange Editer.

The only settings that seem to remember are things like the "Select Text" which is a great new addition by the way :).

The settings under "Page Display" for "Default Page Layout" and "Default Page Zoom" are not sticking and every time I click "OK" they go back to Automatic.

I do not have this issue at all with PDF -Xchange Viewer and the very same pdf files.

You say this is working on your computers?

Link to screenshot of my settings.
http://www.imagebam.com/image/cdb5c0245257089
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi gate1975mlm,

I do get the same here, thanks for pointing that out. We'll look into it.

thanks
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
gate1975mlm
User

Post by gate1975mlm »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi gate1975mlm,

I do get the same here, thanks for pointing that out. We'll look into it.

thanks
Your welcome :)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

If we are to make changes it will likely happen in the next build and that will be some weeks away.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
gate1975mlm
User

Post by gate1975mlm »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:If we are to make changes it will likely happen in the next build and that will be some weeks away.

regards
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

I have tested point 3 and it works properly in build 300.

3. PDF-XChange Editor still is not remembering my settings like "Page Layout and Zoom" for example.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, can you please let us know what Windows operating system you are running and if it is 32 or 64 bit please.

Best,
Chris

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
gate1975mlm
User

Post by gate1975mlm »

Chris - Tracker Supp wrote:I have tested point 3 and it works properly in build 300.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, can you please let us know what Windows operating system you are running and if it is 32 or 64 bit please.

Best,
Chris
Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit Home Premium
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I hope there is no missunderstanding between:
1) setting "Default Page Layout" and "Default Page Zoom" via Edit Preferences > Page Display, where I can confirm that these settings are NOT remembered/recorded (+ "Logical Page Numbers" stays actif after having been checked out and having clicked OK).
2) setting the "Page Layout" and "Magnification" for the actually opened PDF-file, via File > Document Properties > Initial
View, where I can say that these settings are correctly recorded into the PDF-file (after File > Save).

My pc's Operating System is Windows 7 - 32 bit Home Edition.

When I look into the Windows Registry there is no clear correspondence between the 'items' in the Preferences dialogbox and the 'keys' in the Registry. That is really confusing...
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, Willy
1) setting "Default Page Layout" and "Default Page Zoom" via Edit Preferences > Page Display, where I can confirm that these settings are NOT remembered/recorded (+ "Logical Page Numbers" stays actif after having been checked out and having clicked OK).
You are right, it is issue really and we will fix it in the next build.
Also we will add correct handling of "Default Pages Layout"/"Default Pages Zoom" options..
When I look into the Windows Registry there is no clear correspondence between the 'items' in the Preferences dialogbox and the 'keys' in the Registry. That is really confusing...
The correspondence exists but if some property has default value - it'll not be written to the registry (to reduce info in the registry and to speed up the start/exit of application). For example when you enable option "Preferences/Page Display/Display transparency grid" - you will have the new value in the registry after exit of app:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\PagesView]
"b.ShowTranspGrid"=dword:00000001
but if you dіsable this option (by default) then it will disappear from the registry AND if "PagesView" section has no other non-default options then "PagesView"-registry-key will disappear also..

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.