Files being locked - working with LaTeX

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

fghj
User

Files being locked - working with LaTeX

Post by fghj »

Hey,

I'm very fine with using PDF-XChange Viewer, but now as I'm beginning to work with LaTeX (with LyX to be precise), an annoying thing appears: It's not possible for LyX to update the PDF-file which is open in the Viewer. This is something you regularly do while writing and it is not a good solution to close the file every time and open it again. The file seems to be locked in the Viewer. Is this something I can change or avoid?

It works fine with Sumatra PDF, but I'd like to stick to PDF-XChange Viewer.
Thanks!
BigMike
User

Re: Files being locked - working with LaTeX

Post by BigMike »

Probably, it's a good idea to read the whole Thread: https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... =35&t=3143, since it's all about PDF-Xchange Viewer and LaTeX. For opening a document without file locking, look especially at https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 43&p=58746

Kind regards
Michael
fghj
User

Post by fghj »

Thanks for the fast reply and sorry for only using Google and not the forum search before.
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

:) No problem, I know there are also some other threads about LaTeX here, but the two "solutions" (auto closing and non-locking) are both described in this thread.
shehab30319
User

Post by shehab30319 »

LaTeX enumerates by default all sections. It is possible to disable numbering of a specific section by adding an asterisk (*) after the section command like this:

\section*{Introduction}
\subsection*{Test}

However, when you do this, the section is not added to the table of contents. Sometimes you want to disable section numbering but still need to generate a table of contents, or you want to have bookmarks in the generated PDF file. Add this code at the start of your document, and your problem is solved:

% disables chapter, section and subsection numbering
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{-1}
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi shehab30319,

And many thanks for sharing this LaTeX trick! :)

Cheers,
Stefan