Can't print PDF files when Xchange Viewer is sandboxed

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

fghj
User

Can't print PDF files when Xchange Viewer is sandboxed

Post by fghj »

I have the latest PDF-Xchange Viewer and I use Sandboxie 3.76 with Win7 Ultimate 64bit. I've had this problem for awhile now but I don't remember when it started. I can't print pdf files when Xchange Viewer is sandboxed. I don't get any error message or anything. Just nothing happens. If I go to 'Devices and Printers' and right-click my printer and select "See What's Printing" I can see the pdf file in the document window with the Status 'printing'. If I cancel the printing job it doesn't get removed. The Status just says 'deleting...'. I have to manually stop the Printer Spooler in Services and delete the files in the System32\Spool\Printers folder. This problem also happens when trying to print from a sandboxed browser.

I don't have this problem when using Nitro PDF reader. It prints fine when sandboxed. I've been using Sandboxie for a pretty long time now and I think Xchange Viewer worked in the past when sandboxed. I've asked this problem in the Sandboxie forums but haven't been able to get any help.

Does anyone else have problems printing files in Xchange Viewer with Sandboxie?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Can't print PDF files when Xchange Viewer is sandboxed

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello fghj,

Are you printing an existing PDF document that you have stored locally and have it opened in the Viewer or is it an online document that's been opened in any of the browser add-ins?

Best,
Stefan
fghj
User

Post by fghj »

It's both. If I open a pdf file on my hard drive in a sandbox or view a pdf through a sandboxed browser it refuses to print in X-change Viewer. But no problems with another pdf reader.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi fghj,

no one here has any experience with Sandboxie 3.76 as far as I can tell. My imediate thought is that there may be an issue writing the file(s):
Sandboxie is a tool, which enables the computer users to run their browsers or other applications in isolated environment (the sandbox), thus preventing these applications from making permanent changes to the system or writing to the hard drive.
I could try setting up Sandboxie here and see what it does.
If I open a pdf file on my hard drive in a sandbox or view a pdf through a sandboxed browser it refuses to print in X-change Viewer. But no problems with another pdf reader.
Can you give me an example of one that does work so I can compare? Should I expect Adobe Reader to print OK through Sandboxie?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

OK - well it wouldn't run in Win 8 so I'll have to set up a Win 7 box to do this so I'll post back here when I've managed that.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
PeterPan
User

Post by PeterPan »

It's possible to run sandboxie with Windows 8. Just ignore the warnings!
I'm using Windows 8 with the newest sandboxie and it works great!

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?Windows8
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Excellent - thanks 'PP' :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
fghj
User

Post by fghj »

Please note content and download link edited/removed !!!

....I don't know about Adobe Reader. I haven't used Adobe in a looooong time. It was the reason I switched to another pdf program.

Thanks for taking the time to help!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

fghj;

That is the 3rd time you have taken the opportunity to post a commercial for a competitors products and this time even offering a download link.

This forum is not for the promotion of alternative companies products - but is paid for and staffed by Tracker Software Products for the promotion and support of OUR products for OUR clients.

Please be advised - if you insist on continuing to do so - no matter how subtly you do it - we will block your forum membership and invite you to take your activities elsewhere.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi fghj,

OK - I set up Sandboxie in a Win 8 environment and so far I haven't been able to install the Viewer using the Sandbox. This is a very specific use of the Viewer and I would ask that you give me a little time to go through learning Sandboxie and how it relates to our Viewer.

It's going to take some time. May I suggest that you just use the Viewer without the sandbox? It really is not a security threat and we have never seen another user feel that it needs to be sandboxed this way. As time permits I will see what I can determine.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
fghj
User

Post by fghj »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:fghj;

That is the 3rd time you have taken the opportunity to post a commercial for a competitors products and this time even offering a download link.

This forum is not for the promotion of alternative companies products - but is paid for and staffed by Tracker Software Products for the promotion and support of OUR products for OUR clients.

Please be advised - if you insist on continuing to do so - no matter how subtly you do it - we will block your forum membership and invite you to take your activities elsewhere.
Whoa calm down. I was not trying to advertise a competitor's product. Paul asked me for the name of a program that worked with Sandboxie. When I saw my reply was missing I thought it get didn't posted so I posted it again. I included the link to make it easier for him so he didn't have to search for it. I'm aware that I posted the name of the program in my original post but he asked in his reply so he must not have noticed it the first time. There's no sneaky behavior going on, really. I'm just trying to fix this problem. XChange Viewer has been my default viewer for years.
fghj
User

Post by fghj »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi fghj,

OK - I set up Sandboxie in a Win 8 environment and so far I haven't been able to install the Viewer using the Sandbox. This is a very specific use of the Viewer and I would ask that you give me a little time to go through learning Sandboxie and how it relates to our Viewer.

It's going to take some time. May I suggest that you just use the Viewer without the sandbox? It really is not a security threat and we have never seen another user feel that it needs to be sandboxed this way. As time permits I will see what I can determine.

hth
You don't need to install the Viewer using the Sandbox. You just need to run it in the sandbox. You can install it like you normally do. Afterwards you can right click on the .exe or shortcut and click Run Sandbox.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the details fghj,

Understood! But please in the future avoid posting links to competitor product (we know how to find them ;) ) and all should be fine!

Cheers,
Stefan
fghj
User

Post by fghj »

Any progress on this?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

You mean - since last Friday whilst there was a Christmas holiday and also the Viewer V3 was released - despite it being Christmas ?

Have a heart will you ...

Best regards
Tracker Support
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi fghj,
You don't need to install the Viewer using the Sandbox. You just need to run it in the sandbox. You can install it like you normally do. Afterwards you can right click on the .exe or shortcut and click Run Sandbox.
OK - thanks for that. The 'silly season' is almost over and I have this on my list - I hope to get this done tomorrow.

Thanks for the patience.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi fghj,

well I'm running the current Viewer in Sandboxie and I can print without issue. User PeterPan can also. At the risk of sounding like I'm passing this off, there must be something unique to your set up that we're not seeing.

Again I'm not sure what more we can do here to help.

If you have any suggestions on what I can do to further this I'm all ears.

Regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
fghj
User

Post by fghj »

No that's all I wanted to know Paul. If you can print while sandboxed then it must be something on my end. I can't figure out what it is though. Thanks for taking the time to do that.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks and good luck.

Best regards
Tracker Support